Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Another Challenge.

Several forum members have sent me PMs, mentioning they had not seen much of me on here lately, and wondering if everything is still okay in Terry-And-Marieland.

It is not.

Marie (my wife, sd90mac here on the forum) is currently in the hospital after having suffered a pretty bad stroke. I called an ambulance to transport her to Forsyth Medical Center a week ago Sunday, where she was admitted with partial paralysis on her left side, and impaired speech. Her left hand and arm have regained much of their previous mobility, and she only slurs her speech when she is very tired, her leg is giving her the most difficulty. It is improving slightly, but is taking a lot longer to recover than almost everything else.

While I'm pretty sure she'll never run another 4 minute mile, and she effectively retired when this occurred, we are hoping for a recovery to the point where she will be able to move around using only a cane. She'll probably be in the hospital for about another two weeks, and she will be brought home at that time. I'll be modifying our house in the meantime for her to be able to get around safely. It's an old house, and stubborn as old houses tend to be, but I am confident I can bend it to my will.

Obviously, I will continue to not be as 'everywhere, all the time" here as I used to be while we work through this new challenge. This time, the challenge will be health-related, rather than Airstream-related.

If anybody would like to wish her well, you can always send her a PM through the forum (she does have internet access), and if you really want to talk to her, you can send me a PM, and I'll provide you with the phone number to her room.

Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
terry, thanks for the update and my best to (((((marie))))) and yourself. i might see you on my way south. i'll send her a pm when the dust settles a bit on my end.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Terry,

So sorry to hear about Marie. Give her my best and I hope that she continues improving.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sorry to hear this. Prayers for recovery and peace for you both as you wrestle with this challenge.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Terry, we so sorry to hear about Marie ' s stroke. We are sending you both prayers and positive energy and hope her recovery is quick and full.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Sorry to hear about that, I wish you the best.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for the update, Terry. I've been watching for something.

Sorry to hear Marie is not rebounding quickly, but hope she continues to improve and can soon come home.

I'm glad she has you.

Maggie
Old 10-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Prayers from us to you and Marie.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thanks for the well wishes, I'll pass them along.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Thanks for the update, Terry. Our thoughts are with you both.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #11
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Terry, you and Marie were missed at Alumalina. Please let Marie know that she is in my prayers. You are as well, as I know strength, physical and mental, will be needed.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Mee Too

Please add me and KC the wonder cat (we wonder if she is a cat or a reincarnated Pharoah) to the list of those praying for her. I'm sure everyone on the forums are joining in too.

Of course Terry, if she recovers half as well as you did, she will eventually make it up and around AND be able to kick your fanny with her bad leg! Of course, I'm sure you're taking care of her well enough that she won't actually want to do that... other than possibly for rehab and demonstration purposes...

Is the house the same one I visited? That will be a bit of a challenge, but if I remember rightly the front door access is fairly low and level with a decent pass through hallway. The kitchen won't be impossible but the bathroom is going to need at a minimum bars and a slide seat for the tub. BTW lots of those things can be bought at a thrift store for a fraction of new.

I believe I have an excellent walker/seat combo stored somewhere that my late mother used. Speak but the word and I'll dig it out and UPS it.

And Terry, take enough time to take care of yourself and get some rest. I know you won't want to leave Marie alone, but she'll need you more once she's home and you'll want to have some energy left.

PS: Hospital social workers really ARE excellent resourses, so put yours to work. It may be possible to move to a better adapted space that will allow Marie to be more in the thick of things. Or perhaps they can find out if Habitats for Humanity will help you rehab the house for Marie's needs.

Paula
Old 10-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Marie says the hospital is planning to take her to the county fair tomorrow as part of her physical/occupatonal therapy.
No word on whether they are planning to bring her back...
Old 10-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor, Terry.

We're all pulling for Marie's full recovery.

Maggie
Old 10-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
Thank you for the update. I have been wondering how things were going. I have always enjoyed your insightful comments and humorous outlook on life...needed now more than ever. Prayers and hugs to Marie

Predeta
79nTOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:28 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Marie was taken to the county fair, and subsequently returned to the hospital. Currently she is scheduled to be released from the hospital on the 22nd.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good news, Terry!

I know Marie will be glad to be home, and you to have her there.

Hugs to you both,

Maggie
Old 10-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

My friends husband had a stroke several months ago. He regained use of his leg quickly but his arm movement was very slow coming back. Slowly but surely he's seeing improvement in his arm so tell Marie to hang in there and not get too discouraged. Sometimes it takes time. Paula's right - now is a good time to look at your house and get it ready. In my experience with my mother, when you're insurance company says your done with inpatient care, the facility moves quickly to discharge so best to be prepared.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Good morning. I thought I'd provide an update. I took Sophie to the hospital yesterday to visit Marie. They were both happy to see each other, but Sophie had reservations about the wheelchair. Marie continues to make slow progress, and can move her leg somewhat. It's gonna be a while before she goes dancing. She asked the doctor if she would be able to dance when she was done with therapy, and the doctor, bot suspecting a thing, said "sure!" She said, "That's great, because I never could dance before!"
Later on today, I'm heading over to the local Big Box hardware store (Ace is closed on Sundays), and pick up some assist bars for the toilet and tub. I need to mount them so they anchor in studs in the walls, but of course I have no idea where any are in the house. In the past, I have tried using the 16" on-center guide, and the studs aren't where they should be. In one room, I have a series of holes in the wall, starting at 15 1/2", and continuing nearly 6" before I found a stud. I really don't want to do that again, it would look like Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles installed the bars...
Old 10-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Terry, try a stud finder while rattling around in that big box. They work well and you can be kinder to your walls.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote