Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #201
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And, in my case, I refer to my typing skills as using the "Biblical Method"--i.e. "Seek, and ye shall find."

I took a typing class in High School--barely passed, and to this day, if I cant see the keyboard, I can't type effectively. I am, however, up to using at least two fingers on each hand, and I can usually find the space bar with my thumbs.

Sad--and I'm in the computer business, and have to type a lot! Our 4 kids, especially daughter probably move out at over 60 WPM on a decent computer keyboard...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post

Sad--and I'm in the computer business, and have to type a lot! Our 4 kids, especially daughter probably move out at over 60 WPM on a decent computer keyboard...
My equally ancient typing story is that I can use 10 fingers to do 45 wpm on a typewriter. But with a laptop and a full sized keyboard I could do 80 wpm... before I retired. 100 wpm is not all that uncommon these days since the mechanics of keys (or a ball) striking paper have been removed from the equation. BTW, the keyboard HAS its wretched layout because in the early days typewriters with better keyboards got key jams because the operator could a retracting key couldn't clear fast enough. Gosh the trivia I have stored and the important things I have forgotten.... sigh
Old 10-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #203
Rivet Master

Corona , California
DVORAK keyboard layout was invented (actually re-discovered) to allow greater speed than the QWERTY layout. When I was in the 'Word Processing' business in the late 70's we used very fast keyboards and CRTs, and still had a few people that could almost outrun the electronics.

I still have an antique Underwood upright typewriter hanging around in case I need to address an envelope or something like that, but I'm darned if I can remember the last time I needed to send an actual formal letter...that machine has a special key that unjams the typebars in case you get too far ahead of it.

Just remember, I started out in 'Data Processing' where everything revolved around the management and movement of 80-column punched cards, and 132-column green-bar paper outputs from a impact-bar printer...sigh. (Those were NOT the good old days, BTW, it was endless tedium waiting for the 407 accounting machine to do it's thing, programmed by a bunch of wires stuck into a panel board) In those days, the sound of rattling relays, the whir of motors, the clash of gears, and the smell of hot lubricating oil permeated the machine room.

I must admit i like the peace and quiet of today's compute systems, but I miss the masses of blinking lights that used to tell me exactly what was going on inside the box...
Old 10-20-2018, 12:02 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Started in serious computing (not counting C/PM or early Dos and Heathkit Dos) using paper tape on DEC to start the computer and with tape drives for backup... What delight when the Printronix P300 came as a 300 line per minute with lots of noise. Really ate up the green bar...

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #205
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The hits keep coming

I haven't updated this thread recently, mainly because everything has been kind of slogging along, and I hadn't realized that, along with the slogging, things have been changing. And not for the better.

So, here's what's going on with Marie, lately...
First, she damaged her knee about 18 months ago, posted about elsewhere. That caused her to be removed from the kidney recipient list for her failed kidneys. They won't approve a transplant if you aren't able to walk more-or-less on your own. She's been on a walker until a week ago Friday, when she received a new knee. She came home, and we began exercise to get her off the walker and back on the donate list.
Then, on New Year's Day, she got very sick, confused, running a fever, and couldn't even stand while assisted. A 911 call and trip to the hospital revealed, after some extensive testing, she has an infection called c diff. A Google search told me much more about this than I ever wanted to know. I've spent the last several evenings after work and hospital visits cleaning, washing, sanitizing, and Lysoling everything in the house, because it's pretty contagious.
When Marie was in the ER, they did a ct scan, and the ER doctor mentioned a stroke. At the time, we were more concerned with what the infection was, so that info may have been pushed aside to focus on the immediate problem. Now, three days later, her speech is still slurred, and she is classed an extreme fall risk. I'm really hoping this is from the infection, and how really sick she is.

I'll do my best to let everybody know, though updates may not be timely, since we obviously are dealing with multiple issues all at once. Any good vibes or kind thoughts will be welcomed.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #206
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So sorry to hear all of that, Terry.

Hugs to you both.

Maggie
Old 01-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #207
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Terry

Sorry to hear this, hoping for the best for Marie and you both.

Gary n Linda
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #208
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sorry to hear this. FWIW family members have gotten C Diff from being in the hospital.

. . . Prayers . . .

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #209
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Terry, I cannot find any words. Marie is one of my dearest friends and has more stoicism than any 3 people should need. Call me if you need anything, even just to vent. I won't call you because you both would try to comfort me... and that is just wrong. Do you need a medical cleanup crew to help with the house/car. I will gladly help with $.

The hospital should have a social worker available to help both of you should Marie not be able to come home soon.

I can be in W-S in about 10 hours, leaving the stream and getting a hotel room... whenever I won't simply be in the way.

Love to both of you, Paula
Old 01-06-2020, 04:35 PM   #210
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Terry, I cannot find any words. Marie is one of my dearest friends and has more stoicism than any 3 people should need. Call me if you need anything, even just to vent. I won't call you because you both would try to comfort me... and that is just wrong. Do you need a medical cleanup crew to help with the house/car. I will gladly help with $.

The hospital should have a social worker available to help both of you should Marie not be able to come home soon.

I can be in W-S in about 10 hours, leaving the stream and getting a hotel room... whenever I won't simply be in the way.

Love to both of you, Paula
Thank you for the offer. I saw it after I did an all-nighter cleaning, laundering, and sanitizing everything I possibly could.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:54 PM   #211
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Marie was discharged from the hospital this evening, and is I hope back on the road to recovery. The hospital sent home the remainder of the antibiotic treatments that she has to continue.

The copay for the medicine was--a lot...
Old 01-07-2020, 06:01 PM   #212
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Good news.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 01-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #213
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Another Challenge.

As an Airstream owner married to a registered nurse, please be sure she completes the full course of antibiotics as prescribed so they work properly. And do be obsessive with hand washing and other hygiene procedures.

Prayers and good thoughts your way...

Hang in there and be strong.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #214
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good to hear Marie is home, Terry!

Maggie
Old 03-15-2020, 06:46 AM   #215
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
One step ahead, two back

Marie was released from the hospital, but never fully got rid of the infection. Last Saturday at 2 am, she tried to get out of bed to deal with another bout of diarrhea, and fell. She was so weak, she couldn't stand, or even get off the floor. I called the ambulance again, and they took her to the hospital. Their tests confirmed she still had the same infection from last time, and admitted her. She was "better", and scheduled to be released yesterday.

She developed breathing issues, and has been transferred to the pulmonary unit in the hospital while they try to get this under control.

The good news is, Sophie's ear infection has cleared up, so she'll probably stop running away from me when I call her to pour medicine in her ears.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #216
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Terry

Sorry to hear that update hope Marie gets better real quick.

Gary
Old 03-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thoughts are with you both.

Hugs.

Maggie
Old 03-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #218
DMP
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jax , Florida
Prayers for you. Be sure to use soap and water if cdiff still present. Alcohol- based products are not effective.
DMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:47 PM   #219
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Hugs to all three of you. Take care of yourself too! Hope for better news SOON.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #220
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
(very) Tentative revised discharge date is 3/17.