Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Amazon - long delivery time?

So even before the pandemic, I bought into Amazon Prime for its convenience. Why? Dade City is rural. Shops are touristy,, and almost all close by 6:00 PM. The nearest Camping World is in southern Tampa and traffic on I-75 is unpleasant at best, and full of aggressive, hostile or impaired drivers at every ramp. Travelers Rest is rural, even the closest fast food franchise is 9 miles away.

Until quite lately it has been pretty easy to order on Amazon and get it next day or 2 days with free delivery, but within the last three weeks, everything I have ordered has been taking a week or more.... and we have an Amazon warehouse less than 50 miles away. Oh and one thing I ordered was fresh water hose. The Florida sun has turned mine yellow and it is swelling up. It is due for delivery Next Thursday. They are asking for reviews on stuff I haven't gotten yet.

It IS just another first world problem, so I am not really upset; just wondering if I having a run of bad luck or if others are having this problem.

And word of caution... be wary of buying food products from Amazon.... prices can be reasonable or robbery. Price non-alcoholic sparkling cider on Amazon 3 bottles $28. Walmart has the same brand for $3.06 per bottle. Same size bottles.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Pandemic disruption of supply chains is rampant. Fairly simple to adjust one's expectations, and lead times, accordingly IMO.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
We live near Athens Ga. Leaving For a trip this week so ordered some stuff last Sunday on 2 separate orders for the trip and it all got here this past week. No different than normal. We are not Prime either. Unless you use the videos , movies , or music, Prime is not worth it IMO.
But I think it really depends on what you are ordering as well. My business has been rocked by shortages. The availability of workers is a factor in all of this too. Plenty of jobs available. Not enough people willing to go to work to fill them.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Cumming , Georgia
I agree Brian. Here in North Atlanta metro, we are not seeing any delays with Amazon deliveries.

We have over 50 jobs in 18 markets that we can’t fill. All levels of pay & job duties.

We have seen extreme product delays from Dell, HP, Canon & Konica.

Crazy times!

I’m just glad I ordered last Summer!
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
No delays here either, always 2 days and once I ordered something in the AM and received it the same day! About the prices though, yes it pays to shop around, they definitely gouge on certain things, especially specialty things that are not so easy to find. There is an app I thought about installing that follows you on Amazon and when you click on an item it automatically searches the web for you and brings up other options with lower pricing.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
We are not Prime either. Unless you use the videos , movies , or music, Prime is not worth it IMO.
I don't use videos, movies or music but Prime is worth it to me. I have a Chase Amazon card and get 5% back on my Amazon purchases. Other than groceries the majority of my shopping is done on line with Amazon accounting for a fair amount of the total. The 5% back more than covers the Prime.

Quote:
Plenty of jobs available. Not enough people willing to go to work to fill them.
No shortage of people willing to be CEOs or upper management. Perhaps if the wages were higher for the lower level employees people would be willing to go to work to fill them.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here in the metro area, Amazon is pretty good with two day delivery.
However, if it doesn't show up in two days I looked at my options.
According to Amazon, if they don't meet their two day promise, they refund any 'Shipping Costs'. Since you didn't pay shipping, you win zero.
Also, they adjust your order page to appear that you were never promised two day shipping.
BTW, the items sold as 'Prime' cost more than those with slow shipping. I noticed it when I bought an extension cord, they had both, same item. The 'Prime' one cost $2 more.
However, the plusses of Amazon far outweigh the minuses.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Plenty of jobs available. Not enough people willing to go to work to fill them.
Amazon warehouses are a robot's dream. Rather than sending a human to retrieve items from shelves, the robot goes and brings the entire shelf unit to the human, who scans a bar code and the shelf points to the correct bin.
If I was a recent high school grad looking for a growth industry, I'd look at robot programming and repair.
I'm impressed that the robots don't bang into each other and there are hundreds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30000-kivas-at-work.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	396062  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I've also seen longer than usual delivery estimates recently.

One really odd thing I've found though is that if you back out of the item you're looking at with a longer-than-usual delivery estimate and then search for it again, possibly with a slightly different search term, you suddenly have one appear with a 2 or 3-day delivery estimate.

It's almost as if just doing the search again causes the system to located one closer to you.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:50 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
I don't use videos, movies or music but Prime is worth it to me. I have a Chase Amazon card and get 5% back on my Amazon purchases. Other than groceries the majority of my shopping is done on line with Amazon accounting for a fair amount of the total. The 5% back more than covers the Prime.

No shortage of people willing to be CEOs or upper management. Perhaps if the wages were higher for the lower level employees people would be willing to go to work to fill them.
Yeah. Why go to work when you can sit at home and make more between state and federal unemployment right? Oh and have your health care paid too.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
We are in the suburbs of Atlanta. Amazon is pretty reliable, except when delivery is transferred to the USPS. They lose everything.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
Quote:
Yeah. Why go to work when you can sit at home and make more between state and federal unemployment right? Oh and have your health care paid too.

Seriously, would you go to work if it meant a cut in pay and benefits? I'd say it's pretty doubtful. And were is this free health care you speak of?
Old 05-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
We are traveling full time and Amazon is a lifesaver. We order so that shipments are waiting at the next full service campground we hit has not failed us yet. Most items are 2 or 3 day max.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
Seriously, would you go to work if it meant a cut in pay and benefits? I'd say it's pretty doubtful. And were is this free health care you speak of?
I’m not gonna be the reason this thread gets closed because we are getting way off topic here. Google federal COVID related unemployment benefits.
And yes, I as long as I was physically able to work I would be gainfully employed doing something rather than taking a handout. Guess I was just raised differently.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I owned a small business for almost 25 years, and we always had trouble finding good people. (Finally got some good results doing a seminar at community colleges and adult training facilities.) Different day, same stuff.

Simple. Not EASY, but SIMPLE truths

So you are barely literate, 39 days into recovery, or have had 9 jobs in the last year and wonder why you can't get ahead. Duh? Because it costs money to train every new employee. When you just walk or stumble away from a job where you are finally becoming useful... eh? YOU need to gut out 18 months sober at a fast food place to show you have EARNED a second chance.

There are a lot of classes, seminars, etc. That teach you how to FIND a job... but very few that teach you how to CHOOSE a job which actually has a career path, and how to be looked at as a "candidate for advancement" once you get the job. (SIMPLE: explicitly ask what you need to do to get the next step up. Don't think "they" will know you want one.)

Timing matters - Take a dead end job in an economic crisis, while you keep looking for a better opportunity. Present yourself truthfully at interviews. No honest work is demeaning. Anyone who would rather work than vegetate is an interviewer's dream. A resume that shows multiple periods of unemployment marks you as either a quitter, a loser or alcohol/drug addict. Have "big asset" in your attitude and your behavior.

Businesses exist to make money. Look for new profit opportunities and ways to cut costs. Changing dumpster companies can save $500 per month. Ask Walmart how much they Make by religiously training employees to separate and break down cardboard boxes.

Don't be afraid of working above your job description - for a reasonable amount of time. Also if you see that only the bosses idiot relatives are promoted, or that NO women, etc. Are ever promoted - update your resume and move on. Never threaten, and never apologize, never stay more than 9 months after you've had to extort a promotion (payback is a ...)

IF they hire some genius who can run rings around you. Cry, pout privately, then grit your teeth and become that person's wingman. She will either recommend you for a great job she doesn't want, or will help you rise with her. (You might get a near-genius fired, but when you focus on revenge, your real work will suffer, and when they clean house you might well be put out with the trash too.)
Old 05-24-2021, 04:25 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
Spot on FoiledAgain.
I'll hire a determined, willing to learn, driven, open minded young person every time. The key is really to be open minded, and patient. Success doesn't happen over night but too many people today want instant gratification.
I began my career at 20 years old in an entry level position making minimum wage driving a delivery truck. By the time I was 30, I was in management making six figures. No college degree, no handouts, no favors. Just had a goal, a drive, and a work ethic. Learned from the people around me. Paid Attention. So don't tell me it cannot be done, and don't tell me times are different. The principles are the same.
The reason we have the Airstreams that we all love and enjoy is that one man had a vision. It took a lot of sacrifice, grit and determination, but look what it became. Same can be said for Henry Ford. Same for modern day entrepreneurs like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos. These men changed the world, and they all had to start somewhere.