Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Basecamp is the smallest AS today. Vintage models of the Bambi are an option but might be over your budget due to restoration issues on the old ones which are the cheaper ones. The Shorty is a rare possibility but not big enough for anything but a single bed fore and one aft.
The Basecamp is worth a look and probably a better bang for your buck if you don't mind the double size bed being a tad small. I am 6'1" and it is snug when I sleep perpendicular to the sides of the rig, this is the normal sleeping position. BCs are easier to tow and park, are running good discounts for used ones and have the scarcity factor since they are now discontinued. Since they are fairly new, you wouldn't have any "work" to do on them, just get and go. Go see one and check it out. This is the only way you will be comfortable. I suggest you do that with any rig you consider. You won't know the rig until you experience it firsthand. There are too many variables that you must consider and feeling it in person will answer most of the tough ones.

Roll on,
BizCamp
Old 09-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I've been looking at this as a low to moderate cost Bed & Breakfast.

Teardrop Travel Trailers by Camp-Inn
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up So, you've seen it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galfoman View Post
I saw this one In Baja and is really small.
It cant be more than 10 feet long. It was just a carpeted shell with no systems.
Very cute,
G
I started this thread about the same trailer this last May! It wasn't "open" when we were there, but I was able to get up close & check it out...it was a "custom", homemade chop-job ~ Used to be an Ambassador by the tags...check this out:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f472...eck-42148.html

All the "stuff" (in your 1st pic) wasn't there when we were, but I'm pretty sure it's the same surf-shack!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Interesting sites.

PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Tiny trailers Oh my!

Casitas, Scamps, Olivers and quite a few other brands tend to be in the 10 to 13 foot range ... and I've met quite a few people who love them. They are fiberglass and don't have corrosion/polishing issues like the Airstreams. If that's the size you are looking for, those are all interestng brands.

Paula
Old 09-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Base Camps are the smallest current model Airstreams. Your other option is to go vintage...they are lighter and smaller than the current models. Otherwise, you may want to check out these non-Airstream trailers:

T@B
Tada
Teardrops

Good luck with your search ~

Shari
I went and had a look at the T@da today (there's a stocking dealer quite nearbye) and was quite pleasantly surprised. Small, but quite complete, and if I wasn't 5'17" tall, I would put it on my list of possiblilties. I was impressed with the fit and finish, although the screens for the windows didn't look like they would keep our bugs out...
Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Dorchester , Massachusetts
Shari,
You are correct.
It does say Ambassador on it.
It belongs to the owner of the Cerritos Surf Bar.
Cool that you were there too.
No i want to make one to pull with my wife's Passat
Gary
galfoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #28

TOPEKA , Kansas
Why run, don't walk?

I'm curious why you say run, don't walk, from the BaseCamp. I've only seen a couple of negative comments about them.
wekaAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #29
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wekaAIR View Post
...I've only seen a couple of negative comments about them.
hi weka'

have u been IN one?

seen the specs and so on?

what's your interest?

how might u use one?

r u planning to buy an rv?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:35 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you are talking SOB vintage check out KIT trailers. That's the manufacturer not a type.
You kind of crawl into it, Stands about 4-5 feet high wheels and all. I've seen a couple of motorcycle pop ups that are about 30" high x 3'wide by 4' long. They unfold into a remarkably large tent like thingy you can actually stand up in.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:57 AM   #31

TOPEKA , Kansas
Run or walk?

I have not been in one, but I've looked at them online. To me, AS's are like Siamese cats. When I was a kid, I didn't like them (cats). I thought they were aloof. Perhaps the scene in Lady and the Tramp where they sing "We are Siamese if you please" was part of that. My neighbor had one. I thought their meow was annoying. But then at 18 I stayed at a relative's house for part of a summer, where there were two and I loved them! They may be aloof to strangers, but they were loving and friendly cats to each other and to their family; they welcomed me as part of the family.

So, as a kid, I thought AS's were awful. Rounded like my mom's old refrigerator or that old wringer-washer with the gears that tore open the skin on my curious three-year old finger. Aluminum rather than fiberglass (like a Corvette) or plastic (There's your future, kid, go into plastics . . . ). But now, I recognize the intrinsic beauty of an AS.

I didn't like Coors as a kid, either. That aluminum can! That slightly longer shape! That tan paint on the can! Who did Coors think they were? My tastes changed, obviously; I love Coors now, especially the Silver Bullet. Perhaps that's partly why I like AS's now; long, rounded, and silver, like a beer can.

So, here's a question. If I showed up at an AS rally with a BaseCamp, would I be treated as an outsider, the poor cousin from Yonkers? (No offense to Yonkers intended; it's just a funny name, like Talahassee, Yosemite, and WaKeeney.) Or would I be welcome?
wekaAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:02 AM   #32
_

. , .
Quote:
...So, here's a question. If I showed up at an AS rally with a BaseCamp, would I be treated...
most likely, a b/c owner showing up any any forum rally would be treated just like everyone else.

i suspect this would be true at any a/s owners event too.

Quote:
...Perhaps that's partly why I like AS's now; long, rounded, and silver, like a beer can....
but again, what is described as child memories or a/s imagery doesn't fit with this model.

it's not shaped like a can, or a fridge, isn't primarily aluminum (the shell structure is fiberglass) and so on...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...oke-44894.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote