Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
A picture is worth a *)&^%%%*()s.

Dave
Hi, I don't have the pictures on this computer that I am using right now, but if you search "Favorite Mods for under $100.00" you will find my pictures.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #182
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I would like to see Airstream install hydraulic lift shocks on the front window rock guard. Like I just did on mine.

Hey - that's a great idea !

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #183
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
By now I've forgotten all the suggestions, but maybe these have not been listed:

1. A fresh water drain valve made of brass that doesn't break and is easy to open and close.

2. Stop throwing your trash and garbage in places like the fresh water tank cavity.

3. Screens over the furnace, water heater and fridge doors to keep out paper wasps and other bugs. Aftermarket ones are available for the first two, but don't look good and I haven't found any for the fridge door.

4. The rock guards have poorly made locking screws and they can come loose. Part of the problem is the screwdriver slot is too big and hard to close properly even with a really big screwdriver. They only turn a quarter turn and can come loose easily.

5. There are sometimes reports of windows reduced to dust for no apparent reason. Perhaps they should have a metal frame rather than nothing but glass. And they should be thermopane like other "premium" brands. But, because of wildlife, opening them in many places is an invitation to bears and other hungry creatures. So, going back to a double window with the bottom half in a metal frame opening would be safer (wildlife and nasty people) and get us better ventilation. This would be better than a large window that is never opened and also the frames would solve the sticking window problem.

6. The decals in the beltline and other trim around the trailer deteriorate quickly. Better quality is a must.

7. The aluminum on the outer skin is too soft and scratches much too easily.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #184
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
By now I've forgotten all the suggestions, but maybe these have not been listed:

4. The rock guards have poorly made locking screws and they can come loose. Part of the problem is the screwdriver slot is too big and hard to close properly even with a really big screwdriver. They only turn a quarter turn and can come loose easily.

Gene
Quit complaining about those fasteners. I flew in government owned airplanes held together by ones just like that.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #185
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Quit complaining about those fasteners. I flew in government owned airplanes held together by ones just like that.

Ken
That's why they give you parachutes.

Gene
Old 08-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #186
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I haven't had any windows turn to dust, but when they are full swing out they look so vulnerable. I would like to see aluminum frames as well. I've sprayed the rubber with silicone and the glass still sticks and I have to go out with a knife any pry the glass from the seal.

I'd like to see a different lift mechanism too. Sometimes when you close the windows the weight of the glass causes it to slam into the seal before you can catch it. A crank mechanism that allowed you to have more control over the glass movement would be a nice improvement. Also sometime it's difficult to get both levers into the stops, this may be just my inexperience though.

Adios,
Dan
Old 08-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #187
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I agree Dan. A crank would be a lot better and a real hinge. The big windows have two C channels mated as a "hinge". Having had one get very slightly bent, it was very hard to get them to work properly and even the JC service center couldn't get it perfect. The window did shatter as we first drove it home since the dealer or factory hadn't adjusted the latch properly and the pressure on it caused it to blow out. It's auto glass, so it turns to gazillions of small pieces.

We hardly ever open these windows. They are poor design, look very vulnerable and hurt a lot when I walk into them. We just use the fans. They might as well have put in fixed windows.

Gene
Old 08-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #188
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
They might as well have put in fixed windows.

Jalousie, jalousie, repeat after me . . . jalousie

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #189
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Jalousie.....; I like them for some applications but not for others. To many pieces and the glass is distracting to look through. However, I have never hit my head on one of them. You're right Gene. The Pano in the FB could go away and it would be an improvement. We removed all of the hardware, miniblinds drapes etc. and replaced them with privacy panels. The bottom hold down bracket for the mini blinds at the head of the bed was in a bad spot.

Adios,
Dan
Old 08-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #190
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Maybe someone could write this all down it book form.

They could call it "The Thread of Our Discontent"

Not that is going to cure the problem, but here is the Airstream document on sticky windows. It works for several weeks for me. I use the 303 protectant

Ken
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sticky windows.pdf (58.9 KB, 42 views)
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #191
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
To say something positive I do like the window tint. It's nice and dark and in the daytime it gives you some privacy.

My main suggestion to AS would be to look at School buses. They are big bulky vehicles that get an extrodinary amount of use. Much more than an AS. They sit out in uncovered lots when not in use. No leaks...... I have a friend who works for the school district and maintains a fleet of aging buses and roof leaks are not part of his problem. Some of the buses are 20+ years old and have hundreds of thousands of miles on them. And look where we live, 40 inches of rain a year.

So AS, send an engineer to the Wayne Bus Co. and see what they are doing. Maybe you need to get some yellow paint.

Adios,
Dan
Old 08-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #192
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
27FB Without Pano Window in Bedroom

Dan and Gene,

I agree with your observation about not needing a panoramic window in the bedroom of the FB models. Our 27FB Safari SE doesn't have a panoramic window in the bedroom. We like having the extra storage space afforded by the bedside closets, plus the extra warmth from not having so much glass in the bedroom on cool evenings. A sales representative at one of Airstream's largest dealers told us it would be difficult to sell our unit because the market wants the panoramic window in the bedroom. Not an issue for us as we don't plan to sell for years. I believe the Flying Cloud 27's can be special ordered without pano windows in the bedroom today.

Inside and outside pictures included. Sorry I don't have a good image of the closets on either side of the bed but they look the same as the closets on the 28' trailers. The cubby holes on the sides of the closets at the head of the bed are convenient for books and alarm clocks plus recharging cell phones (there is an electrical outlet under the cubbies on each side of the bed). The upper closets on each side of the bed are convenient for hanging clothes, thereby freeing up the main closet in the hallway for other storage. The lower compartment on each side of the bed is good for storing shoes and miscellaneous items such as a portable electric heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2317.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	166244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0541.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	166245  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1971.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	166246  
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Chuck, thanks. I don't thing resale with the single window will be an issue. I would much rather have your set-up. I'd feel more comfortable about leaks and privacy.

Adios,
Dan
Old 08-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #194
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
...plus the extra warmth from not having so much glass in the bedroom on cool evenings...
It also means extra cool on hot days, like we've been having lately.

My '83 Excella doesn't have pano windows in the bedroom. I like it that way. Of course, I also like it dark in the bedroom too.

Great looking trailer!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #195
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
While we are in the window area, all the blinds on the sides of the trailer fall away from the walls and it is easy to see inside. I understand the Classics have something down the sides; don't know about the Internationals.

It would not be hard to provide more privacy for those of us with the lower class trailers.

This has been solved by us in the bedroom by putting Reflectix on all the windows there. The curbside window at the head of the bed on a 25' is especially annoying because I can't prop up a pillow and read in bed or even watch TV easily because I keep crushing the blind. The panos just weaken the structure and one center window and the side escape window are enough.

Gene
Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #196
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Gene, exactly. The mini blinds at the head of the bed were gone in a week. Several of our blinds in the lounge area have broken on top where the holding clip is located. I'm gonna do something like the reflectex everywhere.

Adios,
Dan
Old 11-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #197
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Aloha , Oregon
suggestions

First and foremost, don't attach anything to the outside with double sticky tape. For one example, there are black trim pieces over some of the welds on the basecamp that are attached with standard 3m double sticky tape. They tend to fall off while traveling, leaving the pieces of tape dangling and the trailer looking cheap and unfinished.

I'm not sure where we lost the first one, but I saw the second one come off in the rearview mirror. The car behind us swerved to avoid it. I felt bad for him.

Double sticky tape might look fine in the showroom, but it sucks for a trailer that you actually, you know, travel with. Use real fasteners of some kind, or just leave the trim off.
roc97007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:57 PM   #198
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I’d forgotten about this—9 years ago!

Did Airstream take any of our suggestions?

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.