Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #81
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
awesome! Now you can line em up in the water, too! The neighbors gotta LOVE looking at that every day! I like the idea of room for the flamingoes... would be nice to have a happy fun slide out the back window, too!

Good lord, what am I saying! haha!

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
It is funny this thread should surface....just when winter is coming strong we all dream of days camping by the lake and of course the curious question - I wonder if I could put my Airstream on a pontoon system...

We all have these fantasies - and as you can see some out there actually go forth and build their little Silver Ark Wally would be proud Extending the tarmac highways to the seaways and the inter-coastal water highways of North America.

Well it was not long after we got our first Airstream the 69 Globe Trotter - and having converted from the powerboat scene to the Land Yacht scene I too was curious....We had also purchased a waterfront lot and had just completed our dock for our 20' Cuddy Cruiser.

We then ran into red tape for building on that lot (and still are!!!!) and I thought hmm we could show them all and just put our Trailer on pontoons and have a self contained Cottage on the Trent and there would be not a darn thing anyone could do about it!!!

After many hours of research I did find a place that built custom Pontoon set ups for any application. I even went as far as getting a quote for my system I needed - with extra water and holding tanks - full walk around gang way, forward steering helm and rear patio deck. To a tune of about $4000.00 I thought that was really reasonable. We even had special roll on winch and planks that would slide out for loading the trailer - just like you would winch your boat up on it towing trailer.

I wish I could find the info again - - if I do I will be sure to post the manufacturer here - for all your crazy aluminists....(I resemble that comment )
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
really it's not too bad of an idea...would be scarey to be caught in a strong wind un announced! Or others flying their boats past your place to send it rocking and jumping up and down, or even mosquito attacks but if you really thought it out it would be wild to go motoring down the Mississippi to N.O.la lol
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #84
56 Spartan

Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
From reading this article in Oceana's Herald-Journal out of Hart, MI, it looks like an Airstream houseboat has the neighbors talking.

Posted 10-12-2006
Houseboat stays, for now

Stony Lake Property Owners Association members are taking a wait and see approach regarding an Airstream-houseboat that has been on the water this past summer.

Association Vice President Chuck Ginebaugh said he believes the houseboat was launched from a private boat ramp in the Stony Lake subdivision and they are waiting to see if the property owners will allow the boat to be launched through their property next year. Ginebaugh said they have spoken with the sheriff’s department and learned there is nothing they can do. The boat was still on the water Sept. 29, property owner Cynthia McKinnon said.
Benona Township has not been approached about the houseboat, Supervisor Steve Fleming said. He thought he knew who the owner is.

“It’s a water thing,” Fleming said. “We don’t have a zoning ordinance or anything for water. “He goes out there I believe. I don’t think he is sleeping on it. He’s certainly not living on it.”

Oceana County Sheriff’s Department Lt. Buzz Angell also believed there is nothing the sheriff’s department can do about the houseboat. He provided a copy of a law that says county boards can regulate the mooring of houseboats on inland lakes by ordinance.
County Administrator Paul Inglis was not familiar with the houseboat, but said he would bring the issue to the county board of commissioners if requested. He instructed administrative assistant Sue Johnson to search for model ordinances, and said any proposed ordinance would need legal review for the content.

I just hate it when people don't mind their own business! If the owner is not hurting anyone, why call the sheriff's office. I'm glad the sheriff's office did not take any action.
56 Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #85
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I miss the good old days when you could show a little creativity or color outside the lines without having someone call the law on you.

I think it's becoming just a little too crowded. Too many people on too little space just causes the sharp elbows to come out.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
A good friend of mine recently purchsed a vintage Avalon shell and while it will remain a TT, she plans on taking the Land Yaught name to the logical conclusion and give it a marine interior. I like that thought!

As for the original post, no doubt that is not the cleanest conversion, but it does get old when folks think they dislike your idea so much they want to sink it... Having been notified that my AS must be licensed or removed from my property I can feel their pain. I've got an AS project and a boat project on comercial property and while I do not want to hurt my neighbors property value...it is still my land! Alas I will play nice and hope to soon have plates in hand...boat is now registered....
Old 01-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #87
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpray
... I've got an AS project and a boat project on comercial property and while I do not want to hurt my neighbors property value...it is still my land! Alas I will play nice and hope to soon have plates in hand....
You might look at vintage plates if that works for you in TX. In Ohio it's a one time registration, good forever.

I'd love to know more about that AS houseboat dispute. What if you lived on a smallish lake and all of the sudden somebody moves in and drops anchor for the summer out in the middle because it's not prohibited. I bet that town gets an ordinance enacted by emergency reading ASAP. We vacation up on a lake in VT and I'm certain after the novelty wore off even an AS would ruin the view.

Best wishes,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #88
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Custom Pontoon Boots to house your Airstream

Okay - here you go

http://www.u-fabboats.com/ this is the place I got my quote from - to pop that MoonBeam I had (69 21' globe trotter - 4000#)
Old 01-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
You might look at vintage plates if that works for you in TX. In Ohio it's a one time registration, good forever.

I'd love to know more about that AS houseboat dispute. What if you lived on a smallish lake and all of the sudden somebody moves in and drops anchor for the summer out in the middle because it's not prohibited. I bet that town gets an ordinance enacted by emergency reading ASAP. We vacation up on a lake in VT and I'm certain after the novelty wore off even an AS would ruin the view.

Best wishes,

Steve
What if someone lived on a houseboat on a small lake and someone came and built a vacation house on the shore obstructing their view of the serene woodlands around the lake and displacing the local flora and fauna. Where once the deer walked along their ancient game trail to drink water was now a concrete dock and boy did the couple on the houseboat used to love watching the fawns come to drink. Different strokes.

P.S. I really like your Argosy.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #90
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
What if someone lived on a houseboat on a small lake and someone came and built a vacation house on the shore obstructing their view of the serene woodlands around the lake and displacing the local flora and fauna. Where once the deer walked along their ancient game trail to drink water was now a concrete dock and boy did the couple on the houseboat used to love watching the fawns come to drink. Different strokes.

P.S. I really like your Argosy.

Up here - land issues are very delicate.....one of the biggest arguments - for any side of the fence so to speak is view! So our Land court took the element out of the argument. NO ONE is entitled to the view and it can no longer be used as an argument. You purchase the land or you the flotation device for the water and obtain the appropriate approvals for said usage and construction thereof....

The sooner people start thinking in that terms the better. People need to do their due diligence before they purchase. For example the people opposing us - it has been a vacant lot for 30 years - but it is a lot of record and building is permit-table - it was just a matter of where on the lot. If it was such an issue to not have a new house beside them then perhaps they should have either not purchased their developed lot - OR purchased the Vacant Lot when they had the chance!

We did our home work and would not have bought the lot if we could not build on it. But then these people would have us being as stupid as to buy a $54,000 dollar boat launch
Old 01-31-2008, 10:13 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
The Nautical Airstream

If you go to this address on the Sierra Neveda Unit's website you will find three pictures of a really good adaptation of making Airstream a nautical home. The catamaran is really neat.
Early Airstreams and other trailers

Best of luck with your project.

Dale "Pee Wee" Schwamborn
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:30 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee
If you go to this address on the Sierra Neveda Unit's website you will find three pictures of a really good adaptation of making Airstream a nautical home. The catamaran is really neat.

A neat site, thanks Pee Wee.

Barry
Old 02-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #93
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee

When I saw that Airstream earlier today I thought, at first, it was sfixx's Argosy but quickly realized it was a earlier model painted Airstream in the same, or similar, color scheme.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote