Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
A "new" AS for me

I have been reading AirForums for well over a year, but just registered this past Oct. Having returned back up here to Oregon,after sailing by boat down to SoCal for a year, I needed to get an enclosed trailer to use as a woorkshop for my business : I do yacht renovation/restoration,carpentry/cabinits, electrical,plumbing etc.
Not finding anything suitable, and with a limited time frame,( need to get going on some jobs ), I bought a '71, 25ft. Caravanner that had already been gutted-out. The AS is in pretty-good shape. New tires and shocks, a new furnace and water heater,and new wheel bearings. The PO had started on a project of restoration and given-up. The floor had been replaced, and new insulation and plumbing installed. The shell is real good, no dents, all the windows work and latch, vents go up and down, entry and acsess doors operate easily, and seal evenly. This AS will be great for me. My tools are not too heavy a load for it either. Already, I'am thinking of some kind of re-do on the inside, I will re-skin the whole interior in natural finish birch. I know I have been bitten by aluminum bugs, when I look at Her, I smile, She is/will-be so sweet.
Well.....I guess I better get started
PS, The value of information from all of you on this forum can not be overestimated, thank you.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Glad you found a trailer to fit your bill! Sounds like you have some neat plans for it...but I hope you dont' really mean "re-skin the whole interior in natural finish birch." unless you intend on just applying something light weight over the aluminum interior skins. They are intregal to the trailer's structure. No problem going over them, but I doubt you will find too many folks that would support you replacing them with wood - unless you never intend to move it. Even with an overlay...be careful of the added weight ~ otherwise, post pics...it'll be gorgeous!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
No, I won't replace the aluminum skins, will cover-over with veneers. Those ugly interior end-caps need to go-away though. I suppose replace with aluminum, then wood over. Yess, I'am watching the weight carefully, and my tools are fairly light. Loaded-up will be under GVW for this unit.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Cool! Post pics- before/during/after...we all love pics!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
I don't have a digital camera, maybe could borrow one for a few pic,s. could barely get new computer up and running. Now I suppose I'll have to learn how to get a picture from a camera to a forum post.
digitally disfunctional at moment.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangebowdrie
...Those ugly interior end-caps need to go-away though. I suppose replace with aluminum, then wood over. ...
I don't recall exactly, but it was probably UWE or JC Ferguson who did a spectacular job replacing the end caps with thin plywood. Someone might remember the thread and can post a link here.

Zep

(appologies if it was some other craftsman)
Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
I've been looking at J C Ferguson's thread, he did replace end caps with wood. The pictures show a magnificent job. If I can do 1/2 as good, I'll be pleased. Not trying to make a silk purse, perhaps a cotton one.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have some experience applying veneer to brass. I will be glad to share any information that would help.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:29 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Well, here goes: I'll see if I can post a picture, taken withh cell phone, then E-mailed to my-self. Because of resolution problems,had to scan my own e-mail into computer, then print; Then scan the picture, and then resize. I'll sure use some colorfull / un-postable language if this does'nt work.
@^(&^$@#$///,. Could not transfer the re-sized picture over. Have to get program to change pixel count outside of Windows E-mail section of Photo Gallery. Please be patient