Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2004, 10:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
A knock at the door...

This has happened to me more than once. A knock at the door, and when I answer, there is a person asking me if I want to sell that "old camper" I have sitting next to my house. In this most recent one, just a few minutes ago, she said that she drives by all the time to a friend's house and noticed that I never use it. If she really did drive by all the time, she would have noticed that I am ALWAYS working on it. I consider that using it, don't you?

Whenever they say "old camper" you know that they really know all about Airstreams. I had a guy stop me about a year ago while I was working on it, and asked if I wanted to sell my "old camper." After a few minutes of chatting with him, he admitted that he knew all about Airstreams. In conversation he asked me what I paid for it, which I told him was originally $1500. He then offered to double my money! $10,500 and I would have considered it.

I shouldn't criticize, because I know where there is a 67 Safari collecting mold that I intend to stop by and ask if I can buy their "old camper."

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

I have restored a couple of cars and in doing the restoration people often stopped by to ask if I was interested in selling the car.

Finally, I got so tired of it that I made a sign and placed it on the front area of the vehicle. the sign said "$10000.00" It had a larger $ sign and all numbers were 6 inches tall. After that no one ever stoped by......

Wonder what changed their mind? hehe

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 12:39 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I have a friend with a fully restored 1968 Mach I 428Cj mustang, and at a show recently a guy was following her husband around badgering him to sell it to him. 'I've got cash, I can pay you now, drive it home tonight'. Turns out he wanted to pay $10k for it! Considering it's worth something closer to $35k, yeah, I'll bet he wanted to pay cash and drive it home!

People have waved me down on the street and asked if I would sell the Caravel, or left notes on our windsheild when in a parking lot, but none have come to the house yet.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 12:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Yea, I forgot about notes left under the winshield wiper when I would drive the old cars around after getting them mostly restored. Only a few notes after I had them all painted and back in their glory.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 05:21 PM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
There's two kinds of buyers in the world, those that want whatever it is you're selling and the other just wants a 'steal'! Generally those who come to you door to inquire want a 'steal'. That would be me.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Hey Rog

I notice that camper has been sitting in your avatar for quite a while. Wanna sell it?

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 05:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
There have been times I wish someone would come to the door and steal my trailer - fortunately it didn't last long and no one came to the door when I was thinking that - probably all of us have been there.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 11:45 PM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
There have been times I wish someone would come to the door and steal my trailer - fortunately it didn't last long and no one came to the door when I was thinking that - probably all of us have been there.

Ken
Oh, yeah I've been there. About the time I went outside when I hooked the trailer up to the hose and a plumbing patch from the PO broke and flooded the trailer

I was ready to see it then and there!

After replumbing the whole thing, I got over it
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 05:34 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
"not here to buy"

Quote:
This has happened to me more than once. A knock at the door
about a year ago, i was visited twice in one week by people who wanted to see the inside of my trailer.

the first pair were a couple of city of madison police officers! i was out back in the shop working on my harley when i heard the dogs barking. my first thought was "i'm sure they want to talk to me about setting off all the car alarms on the block with my bikes exhaust" much to my relief, they just wanted a peek inside! the older officer was nearing retirement and also wanted to know how much it weighed and what kind of vehicle was needed to tow it with. i gladly obliged, and gave the 10 cent tour. no mention was made about my alarming tendencies!

the second bunch was a group of three city of madison firefighters, same deal, just wanted a looksee! i was making dinner and looked out back to see the three of them wandering around the trailer... again thinking "oh oh, what the hell is on fire!" they also had a bunch of questions and got the 10 cent tour.

word musta got out at the local precinct or something, i was wondering who will be next? a group of emergency room nurses? a crew from the streets department? tree trimmers?

the welcome mat is always out at my place!

john
Old 07-05-2004, 07:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
On one of my trips to the factory at Jackson Center, I had a knock on my door..
It was an individual who wanted to inquire about my rig~ After I showed him through the inside of my 84 Sovereign. We had gotten to talking about things in general, when he asked if I'd be interested in trading my set-up for his~(plus some cash on my part)
I have to admit, I was taken back by the thought~
You see, his rig was a new Airstream (one yr old) 36' diesel motor-home. He and his wife gave me one of the nicest, most throughly tour of their unit. I had to admit it was so tempting~Even to this day, I sometimes wonder...lol.
I just couldn't see my way to parting with it. Even within the last month, I've had other offers of wanting to buy..(name your price, etc)
The individual that I met at the factory? Well, let's just say it someone we all know within the Airstream family~! (I must admit at the time, I didn't have a clue as to who they were but, I liked the couple from the very start~~)
A couple of years have since past...I still smile whenever I think of our visit~
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:50 AM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Wow, swapping for a new motorhome - that would be tempting!

I can't imagine what would get me to let my Caravel go. Sometimes I think a snazzy new CCD would do the trick, or a 22' 68 Safari, just to have a little more room to stretch out. But really we have pleanty of room in the Caravel as is, don't pack all the storage spaces full yet, and spend most of our time lounging outside while camping so we don't feel cramped in it. My husband insists it's the perfect lightweight, easy to tow, easy to park in a small spot, easy to maneuver in a parking lot, little bitty trailer.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:11 AM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
No Knocks on the Door but...

While on a fishing trip over this last Memorial Day weekend, two of my fishings friends offered me $10K for my Trade Wind. At first I thought they were kidding and I declined. Then they upped it to $15k. Often times during the weekend, one or the other would go inside and just look around. On several occassions the one inside would call in the other to point something out. Again I declined but it sure makes you feel good about what you have accomplished with your renovations. Now they want me to find them one just like mine that's all fixed up and ready for the road. That I CAN do.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:25 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
A week after we moved into our new house here in Florida, Diane went out and removed the "Sold" sign from the front yard. Not 10 minutes later, as we were sitting down to dinner, someone was knocking at the front door. They wanted to know if the house was still for sale.

No one has ever made an offer on our A/S, though we have had a few folks stop in to look, who were "shopping for Airstreams", and wanted to see what ours looked like inside.

My sister-in-law once had an offer to buy her show horse for $135,000. The person who made the offer's family owns a large midwestern brewery! She turned the offer down, and has not regretted it. I would have sold
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:27 AM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
My sister-in-law once had an offer to buy her show horse for $135,000. The person who made the offer's family owns a large midwestern brewery! She turned the offer down, and has not regretted it. I would have sold
Whoa! Did you mean HORSE or HOUSE!

Old 07-05-2004, 09:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Look but not sell.
I'll give up my Airstream when they pry my cold dead fingers from it.
I think that it's guarantied in the constitution or something.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Colorado Springs , Colorado
I have owned the 55 first series pickup pictured in my avatar for over 28 years. In that time have had several ask if it was for sale. Usually I just say no or hell no but one time I said $10,000 and the guy scared me to death as he almost bought it. That got me to thinking, I checked out the value and have decided to sell the old girl.

Atb,
Royce
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Second thought; Gold, lots of gold.

I can always but another and restore it. mmm...
Old 07-05-2004, 10:15 AM   #18
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I often think about selling my Safari. Only to buy a different AS of course. Now that I have owned one I know what I want for a new one.

I don't want a wet bath and and I do want a dinette table.

I'd either go for a '68 Tradewind or the other extreme and go with a newer '90's model.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:18 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A knock on the trailer door...

I have had this happen to me, almost every time we have gone out in our trailer. One of our fellow campers walks by, wanders over, and gets the $1.50 tour (trying to raise money for another A/S). About half the time, the person wants to know if we want to sell it. Given that we can't seem to find another like it, for less than the amount of the National Debt, we have declined every time. Of course, if someone hands me large wads of cash with multiple zeros on all the bills, I could be persuaded.
Terry
Old 07-05-2004, 12:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up you got it~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Wow, swapping for a new motorhome - that would be tempting!
It was sooo tempting~We even swapped names & numbers...All I'll say is they had WBCCI # 3 long...
They started out pulling an A/S trailer years before and, were having thoughts of getting back to that "lifestyle" once more..
At the time, I believe the motor-home only had 5k miles on it.
(Not even broken in)
Somewhere, I still have pictures of their unit but, I'd have to block out the numbers before I'd ever show them.
This is a great thread~! I've enjoyed reading about the different one's "lil knock"..
Safari Tim,
"Don't you dare~!~ You've put way too much excellent work into your unit~!"
lol..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote