Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2022, 08:14 AM   #7561
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Orkin put heavy wire mesh in this gap between the driveway and front porch, also across their existing tunnels on either side of the driveway, then caulked it to secure in place.

They’ve been very thorough, also compassionate and humane, which I appreciate and which I feel speaks well for Orkin.

Case closed, let’s hope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AD027CE8-00E3-4E48-967E-E49D5E141314.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	422827  
Old 09-21-2022, 12:22 PM   #7562
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Glad you got those pesky critters. And as you say, hopefully not to return.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:53 PM   #7563
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, and tho this was not inexpensive they didn’t charge per head beyond the initial 3, as I was told they would originally.

A learning experience, in several different ways.

I have a small adventure planned the first week of October, which I will post about during, probably, and I found this little wallet at TJMxx for just a few dollars and which I decided had my name on it.

I am not one to carry a purse, except when I travel, instead opting for everyday use a large-ish wallet that holds everything including a checkbook…because, I still write checks, yes I do.

But a lightweight, cross-body bag is a must for travel, but then I not only don’t need all the things in my large wallet it is way too bulky for the bag.

This will hold ID, credit and debit card, and a little cash…because, I still also carry cash.

It was just too lovely and also inexpensive to pass up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	84DFAE6D-E798-4B41-AEB8-B551DE21C43A.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	422837   Click image for larger version

Name:	22A198BE-E2DC-4E5E-8D51-8303BAE03D07.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	422838  

Old 09-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #7564
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Been doing fall choring at the little house the past few days, including moving most of a face cord of firewood left from last year into the garage before my new order is delivered.

Good for my aging bones, moving those bags of wood around that I can barely lift using both hands.

My son and his middle son were here yesterday, helping me trim some tree branches and cutting down some firewood from last year that was too long for my little wood stove.

Grandma had fresh cookies and also sent them home with a pile of smaller bits for their little backyard fire pit.

Next weekend is homecoming in our town, and not only will middle son be going with his steady girlfriend but also the 15 year old girl with two of her friends.

“Going stag”, we would call that, back in the day, and very common these days.

How the years have flown.

Formal attire for the girls, a snazzy new suit for the middle son…soooooo grown up.

They were excited this year about a day trip with friends to Chicago in December to go ice skating, so Grandma secured a small pile of tickets while the train was still almost empty…because Grandma plans ahead.

And “with a friend” because they are happiest traveling in pairs and packs at this age, which is fine with me.

Downtown Chicago at Christmas is just magical is the truth, and the outdoor skating rink with music playing is an experience you can’t get just anywhere.

Something for us all to look forward to.

Doing some packing and sorting for my upcoming trip…being the organized person that I am, very little is left to the last minute.

Lily will stay with my son/his, and recognizes the signs that I am going somewhere she cannot come…I found her yesterday morning sleeping in my daughters room, next to my suitcase on the floor. Sweet Lily.

Will need to winterize the Interstate when I get home, and make final preparations for cold weather, then will hunker down until after the holidays.

No more chipmunks have been seen, so I now just have to wait for repair to my garage door frame.

Everyone I talk with seems to have a chipmunk story, so it seems to have been a busy year for them.

Fall is here, my most favorite time of year.

Maggie
Old 09-26-2022, 11:12 AM   #7565
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Whenever I am planning to travel, be that in the Interstate or by other means, my mind always turns to the if something should happen to me place…and I am always trying to leave breadcrumbs for my kids, who would have to pick things up suddenly in an emergency.

Important emails sorted and saved in folders according to type, passwords in one place, all regularly recurring bills paid automatically each month, important documents stored where they know how to find them, etc., etc.

I have been thinking for some time about adding them to my bank accounts as signatories, because tho I have a springing Power of Attorney I could become impaired and need help long before my PCP determines I can no longer make my own decisions/that goes into effect.

Declines can be gradual, or they can be sudden, tho it’s the sudden I am familiar with I am told most people die in stages, declining over time.

At any rate, after discussing with my children, who I expect would act as a team when that becomes needed, I easily added them as “Sub Users” on my bank accounts.

This was all done online, required (after my identity was verified) only providing their identifying information, giving them usernames, and then they were sent a link they had to authenticate within 24 hours.

And, Voila! They can step in, write checks and move money between accounts.

Whenever that becomes necessary, and hopefully later rather than sooner.

But, it’s in place.

And so, a little Public Service Announcement, pertaining to the plan we all need to have, that will make things easier and run more smoothly for our loved ones, when the time comes.

I picked up 3 gallons of the pink stuff this morning, so that I’m not scrambling trying to find it when I see the first freeze in the weather forecast.

We are having beautiful, early fall weather here in central Illinois.

Maggie
Old 09-27-2022, 08:55 AM   #7566
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This morning…

I checked the pressure in each of the tires on my Toyota, and added air to each.

I would like to say I did this preemptively, but the tire pressure light on my dash was on.

But still, I did it myself.

Maggie
Old 09-28-2022, 06:56 AM   #7567
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Way to go, Maggie!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:21 AM   #7568
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Fantastic!
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:26 AM   #7569
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi, Dave.

I was quite proud of myself, tho had to do the silent just DO IT!! because I really just wanted to drive across town to the tire place where they would have done it for me.

But, why???, I told myself.

Anyway, now I’ve done it, and left the Doug-era pressure gauge out of the tool bag in the car.

Sigh.

Maggie
Old 09-28-2022, 07:27 AM   #7570
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi, Mimi!

I thought to myself, Mimi will be proud of me.

Tho I will never do all that you do, I continue to improve.

Maggie
Old 09-28-2022, 03:11 PM   #7571
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
We all need to learn to do enough to be self-sufficient in the places we choose to inhabit. No need to depend on others to do the simple stuff.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:23 PM   #7572
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You are absolutely right, Mimi, and tho I have come a long way I am very much still a work in progress.

I appreciate and admire your matter-of-fact, no-nonsense approach to so many things.

Maggie
Old 09-29-2022, 08:17 AM   #7573
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Just remember that the "dirt" we girls were conditioned to be afraid of is really just oil mixed with carbon. We get that in the kitchen on occasion, and it's nothing compared to what's in the diapers we're expected to change. Also remember that most of the tools mechanics use are no more complicated than those for household and kitchen use, just different.

Glad to see you're continuing up the learning curve.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:05 AM   #7574
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Mimi.

Picked up yarn for small travel projects this morning, and on sale, to boot.

Cowls, ear warmers, etc.…which I have been known to gift to those I visit with and/or to leave carefully placed in hotel rooms for staff.

I find it difficult to just “sit” these days…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	82CE2442-E9B0-43F0-9791-B7719FF85ECC.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	423191  
Old 09-30-2022, 09:14 AM   #7575
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I finished “The Children’s Train”, by Jane Zinser last night, and tho I would not say it was extraordinarily well written, it was full of historical detail and based on real events before, during and after WWII.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ildren-s-train

It’s been in my Nook app for several years, but I put off reading it because I knew it would be heartbreaking, and grim…which it was.

About the thousands of Jewish children sent off by their parents on trains to England, with and to strangers, as the Nazis closed in. To save their lives.

Many survived the war, tho some did not…and some in this book grew to manhood and joined the Resistance.

It was a very good read, if only to be reminded of this time in history, the extraordinary hardships and suffering.

Watching the weather, as Hurricane Ian closes in on Edisto Island.

Maggie
Old 10-02-2022, 02:45 PM   #7576
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yesterday morning I got on Amtrak at the downtown station a mile from the little house, took it into downtown Chicago and then got the Blue Line out to O’Hare airport.

Where I spent the night in an area hotel and got on the United Airlines flight to Seattle this morning.

Spending the night in Seattle, then taking the Coast Starlight all way down to Los Angeles.

https://www.amtrak.com/coast-starlight-train

My adventure has begun.

I have never taken this train, but the views are reported to be spectacular, and I am stopping to visit Gail in Oregon on the way.

Taking the train into Chicago and then public transportation out to the airport is by far the most economical way to do it, but it is not a small bit labor intensive…it is a lot labor intensive.

There will come a time when I can no longer do this went thru my mind several times in the last 24 hours.

But, I ain’t there yet, and also going thru my head more than once was it is good for my aging brain to adapt to new environments and master new tasks.

Getting to the Blue Line requires first traversing Chicago’s Union Station, then hauling one’s luggage an additional 2 city blocks, and then down a steep flight of steps into the underground rail system…steps which I will have to come up again when I get back, hauling the same luggage.

But, a $3 ticket vs at least a $50 cab ride is a good reason to do it…that, and just to make myself do something I don’t ordinarily do.

I can’t remember the last time I flew United Airlines, but they were indeed the friendly skies of their advertisements, and I had a nice young man as a seat mate who was very enjoyable company.

As often happens when I have to be up and moving early, I didn’t sleep well Friday night nor again last night…awake at 2 am or so this morning, finally got up about 3 and was at the airport about 5am.

But, I am in a nice, older hotel in downtown Seattle and after a good soak in their gorgeous bathtub will hopefully sleep better tonight.

And this is the coffee offering in my room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5ACC0452-1B69-4D23-8421-C5F6F4E187B2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	423376  
Old 10-03-2022, 07:03 AM   #7577
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Enjoy your trip!
And please tell Gail I said Hi. I enjoyed meeting her when we were in Oregon a few years ago.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:21 AM   #7578
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi, Mimi, and I will relay that message to Gail.

I soaked in the tub and was down to bed early last night, and slept soundly all night…an immersion in hot water does wonders for many things.

Up early, and awaiting my train at the beautiful King Street Station.

Always travel with a pretty mug…it just makes morning coffee or tea so much more civilized.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A0F80774-1970-47B2-8E61-45E1F717A9BB.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	423428  
Old 10-03-2022, 10:02 AM   #7579
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Maggie,

Do wave as you pass our house in the Victorville, California area, just south of the Mojave Narrows Regional Park. We have a great view of freight and Amtrak traffic from our back porch.

(Yeah, I know, it’s hard to see us, but hey, close!)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:20 AM   #7580
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’ll try to do that, Rich.

I loooove traveling by train…so much more relaxed and roomy than a plane, there are electric outlets at every seat to keep one’s devices charged , and traveling on the ground is just scenic.

Tho where we didn’t have smoke from forest fires this morning we have had dense fog so far…but, still, it’s beautiful..

Maggie

« No Game Changer | Top | - »