Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2020, 06:02 PM   #6541
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have to confess that is not my picture, but those are like 3 of my pie irons and it is my cookbook.

Now theirs.

I finished Book 1 of Outlander last night, and I’m not so sure I will go after the other 7 volumes.

At least not right now.

The witch trial, torture of Jamie and the fight to the death with a pack of wolves was almost more than I could handle.

It was Scotland in the 1700’s, of course, but I have my sleep to think about and this kind of prolonged and vivid storytelling gives me nightmares.

Yikes.

Maggie
Old 09-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #6542

2005 22' Safari
Tallahassee , Florida
Yes, agree....read the whole series but had to skim over the “unpleasant” events. I enjoyed reading the Winston Graham’s Poldark series.
Sparky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #6543
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for that, Sparky 55... I didn’t realize the Poldark series was in books tho I’ve watched some of those episodes on PBS.

I’m putting off any more Outlander for awhile...let my brain rest a bit before taking on another volume.

Dear son is due here for lunch shortly, and I have made a pan of lasagne...it is cool and rainy, seemed like a good food for the weather.

When I cleaned cupboards I found a box of no-bake lasagne noodles, and since I can’t remember the last time I made lasagne it seemed like time to use them up.

Smells heavenly in here.

This recipe was in the Washington Post this morning, and it sounds delicious.

I’m copying rather than linking it, because my daughter tells me their paywall won’t let her open it, so here you have it.

I’m going to try it when I am in the land of fresh shrimp again, probably as patties rather than burgers as I’ve really gotten opposed to those nothing-to-them burger buns...why eat them, is my thought.

Bacon-stuffed Shrimp Burgers

6 servings

INGREDIENTS

1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp
6 tablespoons panko, plus more as needed
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 scallions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (optional)
3 strips bacon
1 loaf French bread, sliced into six 4-inch-long pieces and lightly toasted
Mayonnaise, for serving
Sliced tomato, for serving
Lettuce, for serving
DIRECTIONS

Pat the shrimp dry with paper towel. In a food processor, add the shrimp and pulse, scraping down the sides as needed, until just finely chopped but not pureed into a paste.

Transfer the shrimp to a large bowl and add the panko, horseradish, egg, scallions, hot sauce and salt, if using. Gently mix to combine; the mixture should easily form into patties. If it is too wet, add more panko, a scant tablespoon at a time.

Divide the shrimp mixture into 12 equal portions and shape into patties about 2-inches wide and 1/2-inch thick. Lay the patties on a large, rimmed baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap or a towel and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes and up to 1 day.

In a large frying pan over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined platter. Roughly chop the bacon. Reserve the bacon drippings in the pan.

Just before cooking, remove the patties from the refrigerator. Divide the chopped bacon into six equal portions. Using your thumb, make a dent in the center of 6 of the patties. Place a portion of bacon in each dent. Top each with another patty and press the edges together to seal, checking each patty on all sides to be sure. Gently flatten each patty to about 3/4-inch thick.

Reheat the bacon drippings in the large skillet over medium heat, until shimmering. Gently add the patties, without crowding, until golden and firm, 5 to 7 minutes, turning once after about 3 minutes.

Serve on lightly toasted French bread, with mayonnaise, tomato and lettuce.

We’re having fall-ish weather very early here...I’m sure it won’t last, but I’m going to enjoy the break from high heat and humidity.

I’m ready for a little road trip.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37B478E7-163E-4F47-9ADA-3F50C2928123.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	378122  
Old 09-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #6544
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am struggling lately like so many these days, I am sure, with the cumulative effects of the pandemic, social/political unrest, derechos, hurricanes, pandemic related famine looming in parts of the world, wildfires raging in the west, etc.

It all feels more than a little apocalyptic, like we are hurtling faster and faster towards a brick wall or off a cliff...neither of which would end well.

What else could possibly befall us in 2020? I shudder to think.

What to do but what you can, of course, but it’s all awful, is the truth.

There, I said it.

I came across this article this morning about the Renaissance-era “wine windows” still in place in parts of Tuscany, which are finding current purpose in pandemic times by allowing the serving of wine and food without actual human contact.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/12/90911..._campaign=news

Similar to what my nearby Chinese place has done, making a clear, plexiglass kiosk in their doorway where payment and food can be passed thru without touching.

No indoor dining, but they have adapted and are surviving, if not thriving, and sometimes that is a great accomplishment in and of itself.

Seeing these beautiful pictures reminds me once again that the south of France, Italy and Spain are on my bucket list...I don’t know if I will get there, but once the trip to Glacier with the grands is over next year, I’m going to take stock of things and really consider it.

I’m not getting any younger, and have in the last year gotten past the OH MY GOD IVE TURNED 70!!!

I’m not a long distance sprinter, but doing better than some at my age, so we’ll see.

In the meantime, in between time...wine windows in Tuscany.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BCFF0377-AA56-4072-9AA5-7F75FAFEA21D.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	378306   Click image for larger version

Name:	100AA475-99E5-4EB9-829C-F14F5C5D68A2.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	378307  

Old 09-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #6545
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I got my bridalwreath spirea that runs along the north side of my back patio trimmed back this morning...all by myself.

I haven’t trimmed it the past couple of years , so it badly needed it, and I have ordered firewood so needed to clear the way for my wood guy to get thru there.

I had to be stern with myself...JUST DO IT!!!

Not that hard, just a bit arduous, getting it cut and then hauling the trimmings to the curb in two trips with a tarp.

That’s why I leave the heavy leaf removal in my back yard to a couple of strong young men these days.

The back yard used to take Doug and I most of a day, then the grands helped for a few years but they’re past the playing in the leaves stage.

They would have helped their Grandma with this, but I knew I could do it alone...just had to make myself do it.

It is really too early for fall, but after quite a bit of rain last week we are having beautiful and mild temperatures in central Illinois, with lots of sun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5CD5FEE1-C519-4AA0-A096-BC28B6634CFC.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	378614  
Old 09-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #6546
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So the last couple of days I have moved the remainder of last years firewood into the garage, which will be handy when cold weather comes..and also make way for the cord of wood I have ordered.

Most of a face cord was still out there, as I ordered extra but then was so frugal with it so I wouldn’t run out that there was a lot left.

After months in the sun, I could probably light it with a match and no firestarter.

Sent a bucket home with my son today, for their new fire pit.

I came across this video the other day that I just had to share. I’ve watched it many times.

It is so upbeat and loving, the animals and their handlers so connected, it just makes my feet tap and my heart warm.

So little to make our hearts sing right now. Any port in a storm, right?

I don’t know how to attach a video, but if someone cared to do that then the direct link would be here.

https://m.facebook.com/WILDISLIFE/vi...4041567725122/
Old 09-19-2020, 05:33 AM   #6547
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are on the road for a few days, seeking limited but in person connection with select humans and some emotional distance from the news.

Spent last night in the driveway of a close friend, and by the time Lily and I retreated to the Interstate last evening she and I had talked nonstop for about 8 hours.

Which is what we do...2 1/2 hours on the telephone is nothing unusual for us.

Nice to be face to face with someone, even socially distanced, and leaving her with a few jars of orange marmalade.

Had a meetup planned next week in LaCrosse, WI, that will likely be cancelled as they are having such a severe outbreak of Covid 19 up there that their health departments website is temporarily shut down to updates.

Not the place to be out and about right now, but we are still going to spend our planned few days beforehand in the forest relaxing, walking, communing with nature, etc....and NOT following the news.

Out and about, enjoying the fall weather, fully self contained in our lovely Interstate.

A good thing.

Maggie
Old 09-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #6548
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Safe travel is a nice distraction from the barage of news.

We like to stay informed but not overloaded. I can hear the stress in some friends and family members voices as they recount true and fake news.

Sometimes it's just too much.

Enjoy your relaxation.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #6549
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are settled in this spot in Wisconsin til Wednesday morning, after which in all likelihood we will cancel the last planned leg of this trip and head for home.

Pointed my nose end in, rather than backing in, which not only allows for better use of the site but leaves the tail end in the sun for using the portable solar panel.

Cool and very fall-ish, leaves are just starting to turn.

My favorite time of year.

It has been down in the upper 30’s the last two nights, requiring pulling out the fleece blankies for myself and sweet Lily.

And bought some firewood on the way in...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AD307514-999F-4DBB-9BEF-0508322F7888.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	379085   Click image for larger version

Name:	A17C4776-4C23-4BA2-9E42-3A8ACFC404E2.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	379086  

Old 09-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #6550
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My “ridding out” at home having descended onto my garage , I took to my son and his the pie irons a couple of weeks ago, a large handled bucket filled with firewood, also gave him the good grill tools I had bought the year before Doug died and have used maybe a handful of times since...and sent home with him this axe that Doug used to cut firewood into kindling for the wood stove.

Son sent me this picture of it this evening, and I hardly recognized it.

Years sitting in the garage, unused, because I would rather buy fatwood sticks and make my own firestarters than be hacking at a piece of wood trying to turn it into kindling.

In addition, my swinging around this item, which weighs at least several pounds, would put me in the “unsafe to self” category.

I do have a small, beautiful, handmade hatchet in the Interstate, that we picke up in Michigan, I think, which I keep by the Home Book just the to the right of the drivers seat.

I’ve not used it on firewood, but I keep it in case I ever get in a situation where I have to fight to protect myself and/or Lily.

Now that little thing I could swing!

So, my son cleaned it and polished it and sharpened it.

Now he can cut firewood into kindling, and teach his boys to safely do the same, with the axe their Grandpa used to use...a good “Dad” thing to do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12A2338C-F0A3-4282-BEB3-F60CAB7C3FAD.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	379117  
Old 09-20-2020, 05:34 PM   #6551
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

Yup. I still have the small handled axe my dad used around the house and on camping trips when I was a lad. It needed a new handle a few years back, so I put a new wooden one on it.

It’s going to go on to one of the kids, I’m just not sure who yet. Some tools have an interesting story behind them that increases their value.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:42 AM   #6552
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had a very peaceful and quiet night, and Lily is excited that we are not going to be driving today.

My morning fire, my favorite time to have them and sip my second mug of coffee.

There is something viscerally comforting about sitting in front of a fire, for me...its restorative and soothing nature can be compared to little else, in my world.

I know this is probably poison something, growing up a tree at our site, but isn’t it pretty?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	24ECC7D1-E382-4CAE-B9D2-FB79806CF613.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	571.8 KB
ID:	379165   Click image for larger version

Name:	7A331C79-0B95-4A0C-87FC-3187F2EC439F.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	621.2 KB
ID:	379166  

Old 09-22-2020, 02:31 AM   #6553
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
That has too many leaves on each stem to be poison anything that I know about. Of course, each part of the country has its own varmints, so this one is outside my experience. You're right. It is very pretty.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:35 AM   #6554
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That was actually my first thought, Mimi, but then the shapes of the leaves made me think it was poison “something”.

I didn’t touch it, just to be safe.

Maggie
Old 09-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #6555
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
If it bears fruit that looks like wild grapes, it’s moonseed. The fruit is poison but it’s ok to touch.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #6556
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gerard!

I don’t see any kind of fruit on it, just vine and leaves, but passed a bush of some sort walking Lily this morning that had a kind of cone shaped fruit on it...which I didn’t touch, and didn’t have my phone so didn’t photograph.

We have had a very relaxing few days, slept like babies and I’ve completed a warm scarf for my donation pile that is growing at home.

Deep into a Jack Reacher novel, “Gone Tomorrow”...one of these always being an excellent distraction from whatever I need distracting from.

These books seriously beg the question, tho...who writes this stuff???...what mind is able to think this kind of stuff up???

Heading toward home tomorrow, one overnight, a Blue Beacon stop and final dump so that I can winterize when I get home.

Had a text from my neighbors across the road yesterday, that the City has finally started work on a section of sunken in sidewalk we have been calling them about for years.

Earlier this summer, I took pictures of it and a few other things badly needing tended to and sent them in an email.

Several emails later with no response, until I forwarded everything on to the administrator.

I told them if they would give me a plan of attack I would stop bothering them.

They then sent a written plan for each issue, and have started on the most critical...the sunken sidewalk.

The squeaky wheel, that puts things in writing...

Maggie
Old 09-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #6557
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
We had a very peaceful and quiet night, and Lily is excited that we are not going to be driving today.

My morning fire, my favorite time to have them and sip my second mug of coffee.

There is something viscerally comforting about sitting in front of a fire, for me...its restorative and soothing nature can be compared to little else, in my world.

I know this is probably poison something, growing up a tree at our site, but isn’t it pretty?
Maggie,

This looks like Virginia creeper that has already turned pinkish/red for the fall, and it is not poisonous. We have a lot of this vine in north Florida and plenty of poison ivy too, so knowing the difference is very important.

I’m currently at my mother’s house,south of St. Petersburg, and we are finally getting temperatures in the mid to high 70’s. It’s been a real relief from the scorching 90-100’s of the past 6 weeks.

Hope the fall weather lasts a long time for everyone this year.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:42 PM   #6558
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

Rule is “leaflets three, let it be!” I see at least 4-5 leaflets in each cluster. (from my days as a Boy Scout leader in Alabama. Poison Ivy swarms all over that state almost as much as Kudzu. )

My wife is totally immune to the stuff. I walk by and blister if I don’t treat it quickly. The quick antidote is wiping the contact area thoroughly and immediately with lots of isopropyl alcohol. That neutralizes the oil that causes the skin reaction in some people.

Otherwise, as the song goes, “...your gonna need an ocean...of Calomine lotion...” and that’s something else I’m allergic to...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:45 AM   #6559
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for that info, folks.

I know the “leaves of three” rule, but also that there is poison oak and sumac as well as poison ivy out there.

There was lots of this particular viney plant on the trees and along the roads in Wisconsin.

Rather than googling it and trying to figure out what it was, I just left it alone and enjoyed its pretty color running up the tree.

We made a stop to visit my SIL yesterday, then spent the night in a WalMart just up the road from a Blue Beacon, so are fixin’ to give the buggy a good scrub, dump tanks again and then be home in a few hours.

Maggie
Old 09-24-2020, 06:02 AM   #6560
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
There's a cellphone app called Picture This that will identify a plant for you if you take its picture.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote