Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 06:31 AM   #5341
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A storm blowing over as we waited on the docks for the Shipwreck Cruise, and Miners Castle at Pictured Rocks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E54F6D0-B95A-4098-A141-F9AE2D91554B.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	315737   Click image for larger version

Name:	E688330E-583A-4CAF-915E-F06120F628B2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	641.9 KB
ID:	315738  

Old 07-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #5342
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

Maggie,

Some of this reminds me of the summers I spent on two week trips with my grandparents when I was maybe 10 years old. We traveled in a green Nash Rambler with no air conditioning, three of us and their parakeet. Learned to eat Chinese food with chopsticks at a ski lodge in Vermont one summer. Saw Niagara falls from the Canadian side. Toured the museum, took an ice-cold dip in the river miles above the falls. Many memories, even 6 decades later. They are both gone now, but the adventures live on.
You are doing a great thing with the grands..they will remember all these trips with you!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:55 AM   #5343
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, and I agree...good for them, good for me.

My son and his wife living a mile from me has made it easy these past 15 years to have lots of time with their 3 kids, and we made a practice as all the kids were growing up of getting the Iowa grands on Doug’s side for a weekend once a month...then would have them all together in this little house.

We burst at the seams those long weekends, but Doug was very hands on, and it was great.

When Caleb was born, I was on a 4 day work week, and as soon as I could pry him away from his mother he began spending Fridays with Grandma...as the other two were born, they were added in tho the day’s activities changed as managing three little ones by myself out and about became a problem.

When he was a baby, Caleb took Friday afternoon naps laying on Grandma’s chest in the recliner that once graced the living room, and we have a special bond from all that one on one time.

We’ve done lots of camping with the kids over the years, taken trips in the first RV and then the Interstate, and basically just had regular time together to build and nurture a relationship.

A good thing, and good for parents to have a bit of down time and for themselves. I was a single parent for 16 years before Doug and I married, my jerk of an ex was uninvolved with his children, and my parents weren’t ones for taking any of their grands on by themselves...it was all me, all the time, with few exceptions, and very hard at times.

Tho I did okay, my kids are wonderful, productive adults, I feel sure I would have been a better parent with regular respite from the demands of parenting. Add to that three years of college, post-divorce, a poverty level or below income for a number of years...hard, and stressful, and very challenging.

Because of my experiences, and our joint desire to have strong relationships with our grandchildren, we built in the regular time alone with them...good for everyone involved, and created the foundation for this past wonderful week together.

We packed the RAV4...instead of the Interstate ...and went, and had a seamless transition to Grandma as primary caregiver.

I loved it.

They are great kids, well parented by very conscientious and loving parents, too, which makes all the difference....they were easy and well behaved, tho they know the expectations and to mind me.

We are talking about maybe taking a train trip to Glacier...

Unpacking from this trip, giving Lily extra love, and preparing to fly to Phoenix early Thursday morning to pick up the new to me Interstate. Wow.

Going thru other-than-casual clothing for something suitable for the plane, trying to anticipate what I will need for the trip home, bracing myself for July heat in Phoenix.

A new beginning...my first RV without Doug, one without memories and adventures and love imbedded in every cell.

It’s going to be a bit strange, but I’m looking forward to it.

Carnival Shoes had a buy one, get one 1/2 price sale, so I treated myself to some new shoes yesterday....including these work boots, for my summer adventure soon to follow.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14023279-7162-43DA-BFCD-6426DECC9F8B.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	315832  
Old 07-03-2018, 06:12 AM   #5344
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you’ve never seen these, they are gorgeous, really brighten up and personalize the interior of an RV...in my opinion.

https://souvenirsfromholland.com/en/...indow-stickers

I had three on windows in the Interstate, and have ordered a couple for its replacement.

I bought the originals the first year we had the Interstate, and they remained in perfect condition with no fading or discoloring when I left them in Pennsylvania 11 years later.

Maggie
Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #5345
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie nice write-up on your trip. Sounds like you are in a ready mode for your next adventure. Yes this will be quite the change but lots of kudos to you for being willing to "Keep On Keepin On". Or as they say today "Keep Calm and Chive (Interstate) On".

Some Phoenix tips: Casual clothes are fine everywhere here. Workout clothes, outdoorsy clothes, vacationy clothes. Maybe one pair of closed toe shoes and jeans for walking through unknown areas, getting down on hands and knees or a rainy day on the trip home. Some kind of brimmed hat to keep the sun off your face. Lightweight long sleeve shirt if you sunburn easily. Sunscreen with a high SPF, sunglasses and most importantly a couple of water bottles. We like to joke that it's a dry heat here but it really is until monsoon season which it is not going to be this weekend. Drinking lots of water here is key to avoiding dehydration and migraines. And seek shade. We park under the skinniest of saplings here thinking we'll get a sliver of shade if we're parked facing the right way at a store.

Safe travels

Sent from my XT1254 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:35 AM   #5346
Rivet Master

Corona , California
We're looking at 100+ temperatures out in the west this weekend.

Bring portable shade, including a wide-brim hat and a golf umbrella/parasol. Carry LOTS of water, and make sure your cell phone battery is fully charged in case of...be ready for hot and dry in the Interstate as well--carry jugs of water for it as well...going to be beastly after the fourth...
Old 07-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #5347
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for those tips...I like to dress a bit for plane trips, and it’s a good excuse to pull out nice clothes and up the makeup a bit , but I will travel home in the heat in as little as decency and reasonable modesty for an aging woman allows.

Being extremely heat intolerant, I plan to spend as little time outside as possible. As I am doing in the beastly heat here at home.

I shipped ahead a box with a light sleeping bag and pillow, but forgot a towel and washcloth so bought a large microfiber towel today...it will work for campground showers on the road and be good for the occasional bathing of Lily after I get home.

Looking forward to meeting you, Hittenstiehl.

Maggie
Old 07-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #5348
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I wanted a not-too-weighty crochet project for the plane and trip home, so not finding a jumbo skein of yarn in a variegated pattern that called to me, I picked up this sort of soft taupe-ey yarn for the blanket I posted couple of weeks go and went at it...two days ago, this is as far as I have gotten because I’ve torn it out 8 or so times.

Some instructions are written more clearly than others, and sometimes one gets a bit dyslexic with things that are complex and require very close concentration.

After the first nine rows, you then keep working the last three around until it is as large as you want it to be.

And I just tore it out again.

Can you see the error?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E0B3CCF4-48DB-4FCA-9095-D6895706697B.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	315922  
Old 07-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #5349
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Very pretty
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #5350
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think it will be pretty, if I can ever get the pattern right.

Too much in my head, methinks.

Maggie
Old 07-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #5351
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I think it will be pretty, if I can ever get the pattern right.

Too much in my head, methinks. [emoji38]

Maggie
A-n-t-i-c-i-p-a-t-i-o-n.
Antsy!
Old 07-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #5352
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
A-n-t-i-c-i-p-a-t-i-o-n.
Antsy!
Yep, and there’s just been a lot to do.

Maggie
Old 07-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #5353
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have mastered this...it’s taken 48 hours and perhaps 10-12 hours to get this 12” square...

The pattern notes the skill level required is “experienced”...umm, yes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	25083862-5778-48AE-9C39-ED3EADF95DD7.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	315942  
Old 07-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #5354
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
stratford , Connecticut
Oh my! That’s lovely!
patnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #5355
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks!

I think it will be gorgeous when its done.

Maggie
Old 07-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #5356
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Made it to Phoenix without incident, the Interstate is mine, and it is gorgeous.

Nearly perfect condition, even still has all the safety stickers on it, which I will be removing.

Lots of nice features that mine did not have, like cup holders, little storage cubbies in the back, a 12volt plug in in the rear, frig opens completely and from the right , lots of storage in general that mine did not have.

The colors are soft and neutral, and the new throw I made over the winter could have been made with this interior in mind.

It is, however, hot as hell down here.

Dry heat, or no, it is HOT!

I am at a private campground near RV Master Techs for tonight, where there is a bathhouse , Hittenstiehl and her hubbie are coming over after awhile and we’re going to go to dinner. I will head for their place tomorrow after I am sure I don’t need to run back to have something explained.

RV Master Techs has really been great to deal with, and had this rig detailed inside and out before I arrived. It is spotless.

Everything was gone over and explained to me, they have been everything one could hope for, and then some.

Wish they were closer.

Maggie
Old 07-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #5357
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Wooo Hooo, Maggie's back on the road again soon...

But, hey, it's only 102 where I work out in the desert--it can't be that much worse where you are...

(Live out here long enough, you get sorta used to it. Just remember the best fashion accessory in the desert is a 44-ounce 'big gulp' cup full of your favorite drink and a lot of ice...replenish often.)
Old 07-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #5358
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is 115 degrees here, and it is NOT cool inside this Interstate.

That’s alright, I’m only passin’ thru.

Maggie
Old 07-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #5359
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Eh, that's why we travel mostly at night if possible, hole up in the air-conditioning during the day.

One summer the whole town flipped the schedule to nights--everyone stayed home all day, went to work at night only. Stores opened only at night unless they were 24 hour...

Wife and son did not enjoy that weather. I was in Alabama, dealing with the humidity...

It's amazing what you can handle if you have enough water and shade, however.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:20 PM   #5360
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Made it to Phoenix without incident, the Interstate is mine, and it is gorgeous.

Nearly perfect condition, even still has all the safety stickers on it, which I will be removing.

Lots of nice features that mine did not have, like cup holders, little storage cubbies in the back, a 12volt plug in in the rear, frig opens completely and from the right , lots of storage in general that mine did not have.

The colors are soft and neutral, and the new throw I made over the winter could have been made with this interior in mind.

It is, however, hot as hell down here.

Dry heat, or no, it is HOT!

I am at a private campground near RV Master Techs for tonight, where there is a bathhouse , Hittenstiehl and her hubbie are coming over after awhile and we’re going to go to dinner. I will head for their place tomorrow after I am sure I don’t need to run back to have something explained.

RV Master Techs has really been great to deal with, and had this rig detailed inside and out before I arrived. It is spotless.

Everything was gone over and explained to me, they have been everything one could hope for, and then some.

Wish they were closer.

Maggie

So glad for you:

1) that the vehicle met or exceeds your expectations; and,

2) the dealership made your experience so relaxing.

Good idea not leaving town right away so you can thorougly check it out. Looking forward to similar positive reports on your drive home.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote