Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #2541
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We drove as far as a COE campground on Lake Shelbyville today...$9 for W/E, and showers. Hard to beat that.

We've been up and moving since 5am...just loading the frig, unhooking, and walking my hanging plant over to my neighbor for care and custody the remainder of summer had me drenched in sweat in the intense Midwest humidity. Ugh.

It is 95 degrees now, humidity is still high, Lily has taken care of business and is catching up in the AC on her days' naps. Sweet baby.

Me...I'm still doing some unpacking and putting away, after which I will have a glass of wine and drink a small toast to being able to take another trip.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....its all about reframing, you know....finding the positives and what you can be grateful for that still exist in your world, in spite of losses of whatever size, shape or sort, and then having a talk with oneself.

Doug would call this doing "mental gymnastics", and he would be right.

Get up, and keep on going. It's a survival skill.

Maggie
Old 06-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #2542
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yeah to the next adventure. We'll enjoy it along with you.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #2543
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you ever get to Decatur, Illinois, which we drove thru today, they have at least 4 locations of this place...

http://www.krekelscustard.com/home

Yum!

I had a cone, and Lily had a little in a cup. Sh was a happy girl.

Real ice cream, not the synthetic, fake stuff they can't even call ice cream...because it isn't.

In my Inbox today was a notification of my portion of the Apple ebook settlement with Barnes & Noble, which went directly into my account there.

I'll take free money any day, and one can never have too many books waiting to be read.

Maggie
Old 06-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #2544
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Oh Boy!!! I'm ready for another armchair summer adventure!!! hugs and love to you both... $9!!!! Whoa!! what does COE stand for??? gail
Old 06-24-2016, 01:27 PM   #2545
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois

COE is Corps of Engineer campground....federal, and they are among the best out there.

Always clean, very well kept, and on water....and 50% off with the Golden Age Passport.

I am settled into another on Lake Barkely in KY, for $15 a night, but I'll take it.

Most of the sites here are first come, first served, but they are already full up thru the 4th of July weekend.

I had planned on staying here until my next reservation, commencing July 3. Nope.

I was able to get a site in "the flats", which is exactly as it sounds...a flat, completely paved group site, with no group in it again until the 30th, when I must be out.

There are a couple of others in here with me, and I suspect there will be more before the day is thru. The camp host said this is one of the most popular campgrounds in the country. Who knew.

Not averse to begging when finding myself in a pinch, I called the private campground in the little town near here, which is almost completely long term rentals...but keeps a few drive thru sites for visitors and the occasional traveler in a pinch.

That would be me. .

They can put me up for the 30th-3, at twice the price, but beggars can't be choosers and I am glad to have found something.

Not liking to do intense planning, one must be ready to shift direction when necessary.

Even if it isn't the perfect spot, we are directly on the lake for the next 6 nights.

Lily is napping, I am making another jug of iced tea, and we are both cooling off.

Next...a walk down to the water.

Maggie
Old 06-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #2546
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug and I have driven into KY thru Paducah a couple of times before, but I have never been behind the wheel until today, and I wasn't sure I was going to make it.

A narrow, two lane bridge, high over the mighty Ohio River.

Once I started, there was no place to go but forward...like so many things.

If you have a serious fear of heights, you know there is a physical response that comes with it, which for me is serious tingling in my legs and my stomach, working its way up into my chest.

It was bad, and if I'd known the kind of bridge that was, I would have picked a different route.

If I could have turned around, I would have. I won't drive it again.

Maggie
Old 06-24-2016, 05:21 PM   #2547
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

I must say, that although you were mightily stressed, you managed to deal with the fear, and overcome it long enough. Do find some deep comfort in that accomplishment!

You go, girl!

And no, I would not have enjoyed that experience one bit, either. That's why I drive on the northern CA coast cliffs northbound only.....and not with the AS. I'm a bit of a chicken that way.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #2548
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I could have just stopped on the bridge, and begged someone to drive it over for me so I could get on the floor in the back ... but then I would have had to get out, and onto that bridge...over the water... very, very high over the water.

Maggie
Old 06-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #2549
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

Yup. Understand the feeling.

I was once sent to paint a part of our ship that was 93 feet above the concrete floor of the dry dock we were in. The end of the yardarm was 8 inches wide. I swear my butt cheeks were wrapped around that skinny piece of steel. I told my boss I would never consider doing that ever again, and he understood.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #2550
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I secured us another site here for Mon-Thurs nights of next week.

It does not have a view of the lake, but it is wooded, shaded and not on pavement.

After driving 5 hours or so, then pulling in onto hot pavement, I didn't think the Interstate would ever cool off yesterday.

Between the retained heat and the outside temperature, the AC on high and max cold was struggling.

I was comfortable, but Lily didn't stop panting til the sun went down.

She has already had two good walks today, and is now catching up on her beauty sleep.

Yes, she is as sweet as she looks.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	265170  
Old 06-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #2551
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
hi Maggie.. good morning to you two... that's great you got that wooded spot... no lake, but still sounds lovely... thinking cool shade, nice trees, sitting outside in your chair relaxing... the good life!!!... hugs and love, keep having fun there!!!! I'm following!!! any pics coming???
Old 06-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #2552
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Where we are now is not picture worthy , but I'll get one of the next site.

We are at functional, here, with electric for AC...and that is important as shade has been gone for 1 1/2 hours and it is too hot to be out without it.

I can also see the lake.

Maggie
Old 06-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #2553
Rivet Master

Wow, Maggie! I can relate to your fear of great height. I used to have no fear of heights, but, that has changed with age. I like to think I'm wiser now and not as foolhardy! I fully understand ...these days...that I am not invincible! That seems to be a problem of youth!

I like my feet firmly on ground. I like to be near water....not on it or in it or over it! Log that one up as one more challenge overcome. Another notch on your independence belt.

Safe travels and have lots of fun!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #2554
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had a good downpour yesterday, and it cooled off a bit overnight.

Supposed to have a cold front moving in...we'll see.

My heat intolerant self is managing pretty well...I sit outside until my shade is gone and the heat is too intense, then retreat to the AC.

The lake is very pretty. Lots of small boats, sailboats, and barge traffic.

Quiet and peaceful, but I'm looking forward to moving to a wooded, shaded site tomorrow, even if that means more activity all around.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	265232  
Old 06-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #2555
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Sounds like your having a nice time . I am too. Here at Lewisburg WV. We had 10 inches of rain in two hours which caused a flooded town. We are under low water pressure and the gov. Gave a state of emergency. There have been 23 deaths so far in the town but no one from our airstream people. We are all ok and still going on. We had to boil our water. But we are still having fun and enjoying the company that we have here at international rallie. The stores that are not flooded out are on a limited supply but all is good. We did have no power for some time but all is ok. Still drying out here and meeting lots of new people. I'm having fun sleeping in my trailer and finding out all the leaks! Oh well have a great time!
Rachel
"Agnes"
1962 Tradewind

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #2556
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Rachel!

I am relaxing and enjoying being somewhere different.

It always seems to take a couple of days out to get back in the groove of traveling life, and I would say we are there.

I've been following the weather and flooding problems in WVA...it is astonishing what Mother Nature can unleash, so quickly, and causing such devastation.

Doesn't sound like the storms wreaked havoc on the International at all, tho, everyone going with the flow and making changes to manage as they needed to.

Nothing we can do about the weather, after all.

Greenbriar and Kanawha Counties, White Sulphur Springs, etc., are where my maternal grandmother and her people were from.

Doug and I were thru there several times, looking around and searching for some lost roots , and it is a beautiful part of the state.

Enjoy.

Maggie
Old 06-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #2557
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Nice vision - you and Lily cooling off by the lake.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #2558
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi FaN!

Shirley Valentine gathering in Astoria, OR, September 8-11th, or 12th...try to make a drive down.

Maggie
Old 06-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #2559
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
More rain last night, but it has definitely cooled off and I am looking forward to having the AC off and windows open for awhile.

Took a drive this morning, found a grocery store and let Lily have an extra run by Lake Barkley. It is really beautiful down in here.

A happy girl, with a new place to romp plus interesting things to sniff and catch her attention.

We are waiting patiently for our new site to empty ...checkout isn't until 3pm, so if they stay the time we will be hanging out in a holding pattern for awhile.

But, that's okay, because it is overcast, cooler and much more comfy than the past few days.

We handled it, the scorching heat and high humidity...Lily and I getting a good walk in early morning and then hunkering down in the AC all afternoon and evening.

She could barely stand to be out in the heat of the day...head low, tail down, looking up at me like "what are we doing out here!"

I might even cook outside tomorrow, as I brought some salmon steaks...

One of our favorite, on the road meals was two of something...salmon being a favorite, pork chops or chicken also work...in the panini iron, with 6 briquettes beneath and 6 on top.

20 minutes to perfectly crusty and cooked thru. Yum.

I'll get a picture later of the new, fully shaded site.

Maggie
Old 06-27-2016, 11:51 AM   #2560
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Already on my third e-book this trip, I am reading another about Holocaust survivors...Bitter Freedom, by Jafa Wallach.

These people sent their 4 year old away, to keep her alive, and spent 22 months living in a depression dug underneath the floor of a business.

Unable to stand or walk...for 22 months...but saved by others strong enough, smart enough, and resourceful enough to keep them alive and hidden from the Germans.

80 Jews out of 30,000 in their district survived...all of them, hidden and kept alive by others.

Maggie

« No Game Changer | Top | - »