Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #1561
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie... Geez, I have to write that down.. living in Oregon... and I have to agree, I always loved being in the trailer in the rain... even if it was just in the driveway!!! thanks for taking us along... I love to go on "trips" with you and Lily... stay dry and enjoy the view!!! hugs and love from here... where it is also raining!!!
Old 01-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #1562
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois

Maggie
Old 01-10-2016, 04:20 AM   #1563
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
My kids gave me a Furminator deshedding tool for Christmas, and it's great. If I go over Blackie every day or so with that, there's much less of that black lab hair to deal with in the house. Blackie likes it, she's getting attention, after all. The kids did say that there are some reviews out there that say you need to be sure you're getting the real product. The knock-offs pull hair and the dogs hate them.

I'll have to think up how to rig an outside shower on an old Safari, and I definitely need some of that waterless dog bath from Petco.

Thanks a million!
We travel with two Labs, the yellow sheds worse than any dog I have ever seen, almost to the point where we give up at times trying to stay ahead of it.

For showers, if you are in a campground with water hook ups, I carry a "Y" connector and I made a five foot piece of hose. Hook up the "Y" connector at the water hook up in the campground, put the small section of hose on it and let her ripe. We have an outside shower and I sometimes rinse them with it. If we do this we do it early in the AM and keep them outside as they stay wet almost all day and as Maggie said the smell is worse and the added humidity in the trailer is not welcomed.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:15 AM   #1564
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Thanks Bud. Good idea for warm weather. I already carry the Y connector, and I'll make up a short piece of hose.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:21 AM   #1565
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My NYC daughter and I Skype most Sunday mornings, each of us sipping coffee in our respective homes......today, me in my beautiful little home on wheels.

I love her, and I love it. Skype is a wonderful thing.

Rain has stopped, but it is going to be cold....and that's okay, because I am warm and dry and have lots of microfleece.

Shortly after we brought Lily home in 2010, I bought her a crate liner as a bed in our room, and picked up a dog blankie somewhere to put in it.....brown fleece, with tan paw prints on it.

Since Doug died, she of course has refused to sleep anywhere at night but at the foot of my bed, so a sheet, and in cold weather this blankie, go across the foot of it to protect my bedspread a bit.

I grabbed that fleece to bring with me this trip, and put it out on the foot of my bed last night as it was going to be cold.....she pounced on it, rubbed her muzzle all over it, and rolled around on it, paws in the air.

Dog-speak for "I love my blankie so much!"

Booger dog.

Maggie
Old 01-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #1566
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Dogs have their ways. The first night Blackie and I spent in the Airstream, she'd refused to have anything to do with the Walmart crate pad I'd bought for her to sleep on. Once I had gone to bed, she jumped up onto the street side front gaucho, stayed there for maybe 15 seconds, and then jumped down. She went straight to the crate pad and slept on it all night and for the remaining 4 nights of our stay.

I guess that's her way of telling me I should replace the petrified, 50-year-old foam in those gauchos.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #1567
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have three pairs of these.........found at TJMaxx last year.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	255399  
Old 01-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #1568
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
outside...

Baby Powder & Baking Soda 50-50..... rub in all over with deep massage.. comb/brush in.... usually against the hair direction... leave in for a few minutes..

Then vigorously brush out... and add a bi more.. repeat if needed.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:02 AM   #1569
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That would be a great doggie deodorizer, Channing.

Maggie
Old 01-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #1570
Rivet Master

Morning Maggie.
Love the navy blue sox...the rose really pop! And being in the Airstream in the rain, nice and cozy, Warm sweater, hot cup of coffee, and a loving dog snuggled at your side....does it get any better?! I hope you have a good rain slicker for those outdoor tasks.

Nashville, Tennessee was my home ...left there in '70. Went west and fell in love with the mountains. Enjoy your trip...be safe. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #1571
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I love Tennessee, and have roots here since the late 1700's.

My ancestors on my Mother's side came from NC to Grainger County, TN after the Revolutionary War, then on flatboats down the TN and MS rivers to Natchez, MS, in 1806.

The house they completed in 1818 in Southern MS is still standing, and was continuously lived in until sometime this past year.

Anyway....TN feels a bit like the home place.

Maggie
Old 01-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #1572
Rivet Master

Some interesting history, Maggie. These days, if a house is still standing and inhabitable after 50 years...that's considered a good thing. Makes one wonder.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #1573
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Kind of sad, really.

Maggie
Old 01-11-2016, 01:43 PM   #1574
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's been one of those days....

It was 19 degrees this morning, and of course there has been a lot of rain, so I found all the doors frozen shut when I went to put Lily outside first thing.

I could not get the cargo door open until the sun had been up a couple of hours...nor could I get the antennae down....did finally get the drivers side door open and went out with Lily that way....me still in pj's and robe, of course.

Bless her little heart, Lily jumped out, took care of business, and leapt back in, landing directly onto the drivers seat. What a girl

The faucet in the kitchen was acting badly, so I took the aerator thingy off, the inner workings which fell apart as I tried to clean it....sand, of course. Found a friendly hardware store that sold me the new thingy, I installed it all by myself, and I now have proper water flow.

Still cleaning winterization and bleach water out of my fresh water system, I was not interested in dumping tanks at 20 degrees, so waited til I got to the new campground. Could not get the sewer hose attached, struggling with it for several minutes....then, once attached, I found I was not quite close enough to dump.

I remember Doug cursing that attachment process more than once. You have to reach up underneath the Interstate to access the tanks, and some days it is just plain difficult to get the sewer hose attached.

Thinking I could safely just back up a little, hose attached, rather than take it off and struggle to get it back on....I could not, in fact, running the hose over and smashing it nearly flat.

I dumped anyway, holding the end in and rinsing thoroughly when I was done. It wasn't too bad.

On the upside, it was a pretty drive a bit farther south....across the Tennessee River, past the Chickamauga Battlefield....where my Confederate Army Chaplain great-grandfather...ministering to the dead and dying... found, and saved the life of, his Captain, who had been left for dead....and on into the beautiful state of Georgia.

A lovely site on a lake, we are settled in for the rest of the week, and I will have a glass of wine tonight.

Maggie
Old 01-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #1575
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And now.....a large black and white duck of some sort has attached itself to the Interstate.

First wandering around outside, coming right up to the door, now it is on the roof and walking around.

Lily is not happy.

Maggie
Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #1576
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
That aerator thingy can be taken apart and cleaned but, for the cost of a new one, it's hardly worth the bother. Glad you could figger it out and fix it.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #1577
Rivet Master

Maggie, glad you were able to deal with 'one of those days' with your usual determination and success. I would have been frustrated when the doors were frozen shut!
Maybe the duck was lonely and looking for company?
Hopefully you left the rain and cold behind. Hugs. Evelyn.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #1578
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
A spray bottle of rubbing alcohol and water won't freeze in most temps. When sprayed on "frozen" Windows/doors, it will lower the freezing temp Of the frozen water (ice) it contacts. A benefit is it is not likely to damage your vehicle!

Oh, also clean then spray with silicone around doors and seals.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:27 AM   #1579
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We call them food ducks, because the ones we've run into will eat almost anything people throw their way.

Don't intentionally play golf or camp in cold weather. One day you will laugh at the frozen doors. Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:54 AM   #1580
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This was a really...big...duck...and he walked right up to the camp host, almost wagging his tail feathers.

When it flew up onto the roof, and began web-footing around up there, I was concerned as to its intent and trying to think what I had long enough to swat at him to get him off there.

He must have found it not to his liking, as he plopped around loudly for a bit, and then left.

New sounds, for my sounds-in-the-Interstate repertoire....duck on roof, landing and taking off.

It is cold here, but not as cold as home..and they got a lot of snow right after I left, so I'm glad I got out when I did.

Not being a heat-seeker, more moderate temps and a change of scenery is my goal for winter travel.

I have a beautiful site on a lake....I like water.

Maggie

« No Game Changer | Top | - »