Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #1121
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Evelyn!

A good work ethic is an important element to a successful launch into adulthood. . I started working when I was 15, as it was expected of me. My kids did the same, and have always worked, even when in school.

You seem to be doing pretty well at near-77, Evelyn, and I have met a lot of people in their 80's still out there on the road.

I want you to get to Wyoming, trailer or not. There are hotels up there, cabins, etc. We ladies are going to have a meet-up.

At 66, I notice some limitations, but do hope I have a lot of years out there, yet. Ya just have to take it a day at a time. Make your plans, and hope for the best.

I believe, too, that evil gets its due at some point, but sometimes you just want to order it up and have it delivered.

I did Google reciprocating saws. Will probably wait til after Christmas to think about picking one of those up.

Maggie
Old 11-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #1122
Rivet Master

Oh! I learned how well my smoke alarms work in my AT&T digital life security system! I had a bit of a spill over in my oven....Spinach, cheese.ravioli Alfredo makes a heck of a mess in the bottom of the oven! Smoke billowed out, filling the house rapidly. I rushed to open windows and doors, tuning on vents. Alas, too late. Alarms sounding even got attention from neighbors, they were so loud!

My OCD CAT WAS YOWLING AT ME while I tried to cancel the alarm on the key pad. Agent at AT&T could hear him, said, "your cat has quite the alarm there!" (Laughing)!
AT&T called...I explained...they laughed again....assured me they would not send fire trucks. I was so embarrassed! Took all evening to get smoke out of house.

My neighbor called to give me his 2 cents on my mishap. I appreciated that...NOT!
Lesson learned...don't overfill casserole dish! Alarms work VERY well. Max the cat did not like any part of it...fussed at me all evening. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #1123
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Old 11-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #1124
Rivet Master

Maggie, Lowes usually has special deals on their sets for Christmas holidays....also, Home Depot. I recommend you go in to store and handle them, suggest 18 volt. Too small voltage will not work as well. Based on what you want to cut, you may pick up varied size length extra long blades. I've used mine to cut down tree limbs and medium size trees. Good luck on your search.

Glad I could give you a chuckle!
Re; my upcoming 77.... I'm shooting for 90...as long as the body and mind cooperate! Time will tell. I plan on many trips and experiences in my BAMBI 16' Sport. There is so much to ...go, see, do! Good Lord willing! Evelyn.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #1125
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm.....thanks for the tip.

I will watch for that.

Maggie
Old 11-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #1126
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If cutting average branches...
WORX WG308 Images @ Chain Saws Direct - View WORX WG308 Pictures and Videos
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #1127
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for the suggestion, Channing,

Lily and I have had a very...long...day.

Doug's mom is weak and clearly failing, but recognized me immediately and was glad to see us both. I took her some popcorn shrimp, which she loves and enjoyed, but after just a few she didn't want any more. .

Lily hopped right up onto the bed and licked her face.

The rose bush at Doug's grave has survived the summer but looks a bit spindly. Read that I should not cut it back til Spring, and may have to do some research on getting it to bush out. I am so not good with plants.

Had a good visit with the sweet grand and those in Iowa City, now settled into a Super 8 part way home....they take dogs, you know. .

Lily is tired from the day and the constant demands of keeping the two dogs in IC away from her Mom. Much lip curling, showing of teeth and growling, plus a snap or two. Booger dog.

We are tired, and will not be up long.

Maggie
Old 11-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #1128
Rivet Master

I'm sorry your MIL is failing. So sad to see a former vibrant woman fade slowly. Part of the life cycle...one we must all face one day...nonetheless, sad.

Re: Doug's rose bush....buy some mulch and pile it high & wide around base of plant. If you have not had, or expect sub freezing temps...go ahead and trim it down to about 8", and completely cover it with your mulch pile. This insulates it to help it winter. In spring, uncover and trim another 1-2", pour some rose fertilizer into soil at root base and scratch it into surrounding soil and water well. Let me know how you do. If it does not make it, pull it out and plant another, preferably from Jackson and Perkins, bare root. I would avoid tea roses or hybrids, as they require a lot of babying, much like one could do at home. Grandiflora might be a nice choice. I'll be glad to help you start one and get it off to a healthy beginning.

Give Lily a hug for me. She seems like such a good girl! Evelyn.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #1129
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for the suggestions, Evelyn.

I'm going to call the nursery where I bought this rosebush and see what they have to say, as this is one of those newfangled ones that are to grow with little attention, and they knew it was going on a gravesite in Iowa when I bought it.

This is a 3 1/2-4 hour drive from here....in good weather with clear roads .... so there is no running back there to care for it....tho I suspect I will be up for a funeral before too much longer. Louise shares a headstone with Doug's Dad, who Doug lays next to....always his requested burial spot. They will all then be together again, for the first time since 1952.

Louise bought those 4 sites together when Jerry died....for $15 each. A beautiful old country cemetery, and such a peaceful place.

We are home, and 61 degrees in the little house so have a fire going. I love my woodstove.

The Super 8 was quite decent, and I noticed a nice indoor pool on my way to breakfast this am, so I am working on an overnite there with the grands after their visit with me post Christmas.

They would love that....and, so would Grandma.

Maggie
Old 11-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #1130
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Maggie, Another place to look for a recip saw would be pawn shops. An experienced tool is often only a fraction of the cost of a new one. You can often get a quality brand like Milwaukee Bosch or DeWalt for less than the retail cost of a cheap one.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #1131
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Experienced tools are a good buy usually. However, figure in the cost of a replacement battery or two because that's the part that goes bad first on used tools.

Consider a rebuilt one from DeWalt's or another manufacturer's website as another way to save a lot of money. Shop for one you like, then check for the same model online before you buy.

I've had great luck with rebuilt power tools.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #1132
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for those suggestions, guys.

On my way home and into my neighborhood today, I saw a man outside whacking away at his row of blooming shrubs with a long handled trimmer-snipper thing...no electricity required.

Looking online at the big box stores, I can get one of those for $22 or so. . I'm not indigent, of course, just being thoughtful about it.

Might just go a non-electric direction, as I will always have my big, strong, strapping and ever-so-efficient yard guys to cut at things I can't handle. And, they already have all the tools.

So, pondering it, not sure I really need to indulge in a powered saw. I am going to look at those long handled trimmers, tho, and see if they are manageable for me.

With my new and improved upper body strength, should be able to handle one of them, and it would do for all manner of things.

Maggie
Old 11-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #1133
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Some of the long handled loping tools have a compound lever action to make it easier to cut big branches. A few bucks more, but reduces the effort.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #1134
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Maggie

Another vote for a reciprocating cordless saw. We use one regularly in our landscape.
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #1135
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, folks.

Will consider my options and all of your good suggestions here.

Maggie
Old 11-09-2015, 05:43 AM   #1136
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If you decide on a hand non power operated cutter be careful, I've seen them "bounce" off a stubborn bush and into ones leg. I also opt for the recip saw, been using a 18 year old Milwaukee for what it was intended for, plus for winter cutting of our numerous Fescue grasses we have at our place. Works great.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:59 AM   #1137
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm....that is food for thought, too.

Thanks, Bud.

Maggie
Old 11-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #1138
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
These are just finishing up in my oven, and my house smells heavenly.

I added 1 cup of sliced almonds, because I had them and thought almonds would be good in these.

Wheat flour, molasses, spices......no fat. What's not to love.

GINGERBREAD BISCOTTI

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

In mixer:

1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Blend and add gradually:

1 1/4 cup wheat flour
1 1/4 cup I bleached white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Mix just til well blended. Shape into two 8"x4" logs on parchment covered baking sheet, brush top and sides with 1 egg, slightly beaten, then bake 35 minutes.

Slide onto cooling rack, reduce oven heat to 275 degrees, let cool 10 minutes.

With sharp knife, slice at 1" intervals and return to baking sheet, cut side down.

Bake 20 minutes more at 275 degrees, turning cookies over after 10 minutes.

Let cool completely. Drizzle lightly with a frosting, if desired, made from 2\3 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon milk.

Let stand til frosting sets, store in an airtight container.

Yum!

Maggie
Old 11-10-2015, 06:36 AM   #1139
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I indulged in the drizzle of frosting on my biscotti .....they are yummy, chewy with the almonds, and cookie-ish without the lethality of butter.

I'm a happy girl.

Leaf raking, wood hauling, clean-me-up and a Junior High band concert yesterday for my sons oldest....sporting new dress shoes and looking just like his Dad did at that age.....all legs and feet.

Doug would drop me off at the door in bad weather for such things, or we would walk in hand in hand. We liked holding hands, and it was a nearly-always thing for us.

Solo me does it all, MapQuest getting me safely there in the dark.....not my favorite driving time these days, but sometimes you must....if your electronic device is guiding you, it is easier to focus on the road, oncoming traffic, etc.

Watching Dr. Oz yesterday, he had a woman on there with a new book I just had to download.....The Light Between Us: Stories From Heaven, Lessons for the Living, by Laura Lynne Jackson. Yes, a psychic, who links the grieving living with the spirits of loved ones who have passed.

I believe in Dr. Oz, and I think this is only the second such person he has had on his show....the first several years ago being Teresa Caputo, who he said changed his life....so his nod to this woman's legitimacy and credibility was enough for me to want her book.

It looks to be a good book, and believing that Doug's spirit stays near....helping, watching over, comforting and occasionally giving signs that he is there....comforts me immeasurably, so anything that helps in that course of learning is good for me.

I was relaying to Doug's daughter the other day an incident I don't think I have written of here, so am going to share. .

Coming back from New Mexico last summer, I landed in a campground with cable TV, something I only have basic of at home. Readying for my evening wind-down, flipping channels.....there was Hill Street Blues.

I cannot remember the last time I saw that show, but it was a favorite, must-see for Doug and I, back in the day and before we were married, as I recall, when he was living a block up the street from me. We would cuddle up on the couch and watch it together, every...single...week.

Look, honey....Hill Street Blues!!! was my immediate thought. This feeling then washed over me, the only way to describe it, that Doug was right there, at that very moment, and had guided me to this to let me know, once again, that he is there in death, as he was in life.

If you believe it can occur, you are open to it and experience it, that's what I think. It helps.... and, as we know, that's where we go...to whatever helps, feels right, and gets you through. It is a good thing, for me, believing he is just beyond my sight and reach.

The Interstate is just barely put to bed for the worst of winter, and I am already starting to daydream a bit about next years travels.

I can't help it, I'm an addict.

Maggie
Old 11-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #1140
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I finished The Light Between Us yesterday, and enjoyed it. Very straightforward, believable, recounting of her experiences.

This woman is also from Long Island. There seem to be a lot of mediums out there.

Having stocked wood up in the garage the other day, Gorilla Cart and I are moving masses of firewood from the area near my patio to the area next to the house....this the same wood Cart & I moved, laboriously and largely alone, across the yard last Spring.

Those two, 28 year old, trees that had to come down are providing probably 4 winters of firewood for the little house. I like fires.

Shrimp & Corn Chowder in my crockpot today.....cold, wind and rain coming. Chowder is good.

Maggie