Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #941
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just one of many amazing marble sculptures at the Museum today....this of Antoninus Pius
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	249723  
Old 10-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #942
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A fragment of another.....
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	128
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	249724  
Old 10-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #943
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
An ancient cooking pot and grill.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	98
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	249725  
Old 10-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #944
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Wow!!! great museum piccys... now I want to go!!! you are the last person I'd ever call a wimp!!!geez!!! and I'm with you on your comfort thing.. would have been hard to "endure" 4 more hours... and since enduring is not the same as enjoying??? no question.. you are sure having a grand time there... and I/we are having a grand time following your adventures!!! H&L, gail
Old 10-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #945
Rivet Master

Aaahh, Maggie....the "familiar internal self heater"! May be more welcoming in the winter! I'm glad you're having such a nice trip...and since you are not fond of eggplant, certainly no loss. Your Health and wellbeing are more important....and a bit of rest will give you a head start tomorrow. Even though you feel capable to handle the situation with the young man, I'm glad the commanding Greek lady gave him the evil eye....which I'm sure was quite effective. She may well have known him and perhaps would have dealt with him harshly later. Thank you nice Greek lady for looking out for our sweet Maggie!
I've been following your journey, and appreciate how brave and confident you are. Lots of hugs your way! Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #946
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, ladies

Yes, I slept hard last night, awakened just prior to my wake up call. . It was the right thing to do, skipping that class last night. You are correct, Gail, in that it shouldn't be something to be endured.

First cup of coffee, doing what I always do.....responding to emails and checking the Forums.

I'm so glad I brought my little TJ packets.....if I hadn't had coffee, I would have had to go buy some, because I like a cup as soon as I am up.

I have seen what is labeled Greek Coffee for sale here, may have to find room for some of that in my luggage, as there are several stout coffee drinkers amongst the kids.

Maggie
Old 10-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #947
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
I'm guessing TJ packets are Trader Joe's??? and it's some kind of coffee on the go??? this is new to me...I'll have to look for it... I do use the Starbuck's VIA coffees.. I, like you, want it soon as I'm up.. I have one of those little wire thing you submerge in a cup of water and boils it fast!!! in a motel I can do a quick pour thru... work... H&L, gail
Old 10-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #948
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, Trader Joe's, and these have cream and sugar in them...they are delicious.

Much less expensive than the Via, but I buy those with coupons at Walmart because they have decaf.....in my BIG mugs I do one of each.

Maggie
Old 10-06-2015, 05:45 AM   #949
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIR1 View Post
totally enjoying this trip!!!! If I sold the BVan I could go to Europe for a couple of months!!! hahaha hugs and love.. and as Lili just said, keep having fun!!!!
You can borrow our Smart and Tazz about ..
Whats that wire thing your talking about for coffee ?
I cant get Instant coffee to go as I drink Soya not cows milk
News on H & J .. just in .. .. check your emails
TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:29 AM   #950
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thanks, ladies

Yes, I slept hard last night, awakened just prior to my wake up call. . It was the right thing to do, skipping that class last night. You are correct, Gail, in that it shouldn't be something to be endured.

First cup of coffee, doing what I always do.....responding to emails and checking the Forums.

I'm so glad I brought my little TJ packets.....if I hadn't had coffee, I would have had to go buy some, because I like a cup as soon as I am up.

I have seen what is labeled Greek Coffee for sale here, may have to find room for some of that in my luggage, as there are several stout coffee drinkers amongst the kids.
Maggie
Maggie ..
Hans is finicky .. wont let me use coffee machines or cups in Hotel rooms since he saw a programme about some [not all] cleaning staff and mischief they get up to .. .. Main reason why we prefer Airstream for holidays .. when in USA we
used one in the busy foyer .. not first thing .. but after it was already flushed through many times .. i used to own a cafe and was very careful with cleaning .. rinsed and rinsed afterward and even ran coffee through ..
seen staff in a main coffee chains more than once serving drinks just after use of chemicals .. no thanks ..

Any sign of desperate people who have landed on the shores of Greece ?makes me wonder ..
were slightly nervous about going to France now in case 5 of us go and 10 come back ..

Imported a lens from USA .. could have kicked myself .. should have purchased over there .. My Giddy Aunt .. went giddy when the post man held out his hand for $350 .. Tax and Duty ..
oh well .. took a nice picture of the Vulcan ..

Enjoyed your pictures of Artefacts ... I have a genuine Roman Pot .. perfect condition .. aggravatingly probably worth sod all .. but .. but .. own a grimy coin .. Uncle Bunny gave .. value from $50 to Thousands .. depending on certain tiny markings i cant see as I'm a blind as a bat .. need an experts eyeballs .. Gail .. you needn't sell your B Van if its at the middle of even top end .. He also let me have buttons given to my Grandfather by an American Serviceman stationed over here during the war ..
ill give some elbow grease and take a closer peek when back home ..

Rose ring looks rather pretty .. keepsakes are a must
Not sure of the time in Greece .. hour ahead or behind .. ?? .. things like that confuse me .. raining here now in England after wonderful week ..
hope it stays pleasant in Greece x

TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #951
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
coil thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCrumpet View Post
You can borrow our Smart and Tazz about ..
Whats that wire thing your talking about for coffee ?
I cant get Instant coffee to go as I drink Soya not cows milk
News on H & J .. just in .. .. check your emails
Don't know how to explain it?? plugs in to electric outlet, clips to cup with coil inside of cup... heats water... I'll look around, see if I can find you one... had mine for ages... maybe I can email you a piccy and you could post it on here?? thanks for the Smart offer.. I may take you up on that!!!

Good morning to you Maggie... where are we going today??? loving all of this... H&L, gail
Old 10-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #952
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
It's a baby immersion heater for heating a cup of water, soup or whatever. My parents had one but they were made pretty much redundant by the microwave. I've not seen one in quite a while. They even had a 12 volt one that worked off the cigar lighter in the car.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #953
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Camping stores and truck stops still sell them, this ones is from REIClick image for larger version

Name:	1444154643083.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	249875

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #954
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, I have one of those.

I knew there was a water kettle in the room here, so didn't bother to pack it this trip, but they are very handy.

Had a lovely day trip yesterday, to ruins at Mycenae and Epdidaurus. The countryside is beautiful and we had spectacular views of the sea. Crossed the Canal of Corinth and on toward Mycenae.....thru fields of vineyards. and groves of olive trees......also especially beautiful groves of olive trees mixed with orange trees.....cohabitating nicely with each other. The oranges from Mycenae are reportedly very juicy and sweet.

Strangers pick me up at my hotel for these day trips, I follow where they lead, pick up one bus to then be transferred to another.... following them down the street and around corners, trusting they are who they say they are and I am not going to be robbed, beaten and left in a dark alley. We are sheep.

Seriously, tho, it is always the same young man with the bus, the hotel knows them, and we are told to wait inside for them to come in and call our name. Very safe, little chance of going with the wrong person.

I have noticed there are "--- shops" in Athens , clustered 2-3 in the same block or so, around the city, I see them from the bus.....the ones a couple of blocks from my hotel that I pass on my way back always have a young lady or two standing around....waiting....heavily made up and in very high heels. No police presence, they are not trying to hide from view.....seems to not be a problem. Interesting

Fatigue is setting in a bit.....cannot imagine why....so I went directly to bed when I returned and slept all night.

Am going to poke around the area by my hotel today, mail a box home, and take it a bit easy.

The day cruise is tomorrow, then heading for home on Friday.

It has been a lovely trip, but I am ready for home.

Maggie
Old 10-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #955
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The dogs here got to me yesterday. I actually got tears in my eyes.

There were four of them hanging around the concession area near the entrance to Epidauraus. One of them looking quite thin. . I guess they stay where there is food, and the faster/stronger get more.

I asked the man at the stand for a plain hot dog, to feed to the dogs, he put two of those huge, long ones in a bun, only charged me for one......then I hand fed them, dividing it up, to the dogs. I just had to.

They are very well behaved, don't jump on you or act in the least bit aggressive. Someone on the bus said there is an organization of some sort that is charged with their care.....feed them, maybe immunize if they can catch them.

I see the same dog at the Omonia Metra station every time I go thru there.

They just live their lives in these public places.

No ones dogs, everyone's dogs.

Maggie
Old 10-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #956
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yes, stray dogs are so sad. We recently rescued a bonded pair of street dogs. They are so loving and sweet once they know they are safe, warm and fed regularly. They get along well with the rest of our little pack.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:53 AM   #957
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Chances are the dogs you are seeing are generational street dogs. Born as puppies and raised by the "pack" and towns folks as well as visitors. Our rescue actually deals with this in a hording situation on an abandoned farm. We count fifty and take seven at a time to rehabilitate, spay/neuter, inoculate and then adopt out. 14 so far and each has turned out to be a great pet for a family as they were socialized from birth by living as they do. It's sad, but dogs don't look at life the way we do, fortunately. Enjoying your trip vicariously. Have a safe trip home. Remember walk Lilly before taking her into the house and talk to her the whole time.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #958
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for the reminder, Bud, and I plan on doing exactly that. .

My son said Lily didn't eat the first couple of days she was there, then settled in again and is doing fine. She is getting lots of attention from his kids, who I have charged with walking her and brushing her every day, but I'm sure she is wondering what the heck is going on.

I am really missing Lily, which makes seeing these street dogs harder, I think. She was an abandoned pup when we found her 5 years ago, and in a pretty desperate situation.

It just makes me very sad, and I will be glad to get my arms around Lily's sweet neck when I get home. She is my daily snuggle.

Found my way to the post office first off this am. and mailed my box of things home.....only 4€ more for priority shipping, should be at the house the middle of next week. Can't beat that.

The beautiful young woman behind the counter....the same one who was there when I bought my box on Monday....manages everyone who comes to her window with kindness, firmness and a smile.....more postage needed, bad address, you must wait your turn.....lots of gesturing here, it is very easy to figure out what she is saying.

A whole lot of public smoking going on here, too....similar to France, where it seemed everyone smoked, and Doug was always mightily resisting the urge to fall off the nicotine habit wagon.

I have not done much today. Found a small grocery and picked up some Greek coffee to take home, walked around quite a bit.....and sat and crocheted.

I am tired, going to get myself to bed early again tonight and ready for three islands in one day tomorrow.

This picture is a side street, a pedestrian walkway, really, in Nafplio, where we stopped for a bit yesterday.

This is a beautiful country.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	139
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	249988  
Old 10-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #959
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
People live outside a lot more when winter is not an issue. Places are much more pedestrian friendly. Around here for at least 4 months the norm is that if I have to walk I'm not going.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #960
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lots of balconies here, lots of green and flowering things on them....and laundry hanging to dry.

That's where I have been hanging my laundry, too.

We found Lily 5 years ago today, at Chicot State Park in Louisiana.

We fed her and cared for her during our stay, and when no one was still looking for her when we left on the 11th, we took her with us and she became ours.

What a dear. Couldn't love her more.

I am feeling rested this morning. A good thing.

Maggie