Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #7101
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It’s been a busy week at the little house, the most significant item being the resurfacing of our road which is in progress even as I type.

The city has been doing some sidewalk, curb and drainage repairs the past few months, and earlier this week took up all the pavement…that’s the wrong term for it, but basically the layer of road that was there has been removed.

It’s a messy, dirty process, but I will gladly clean the dust off my car and windows in exchange for the upgrading of our street.

Which is only happening because last year I took pictures and kept sending them in emails until they gave me a written plan with a commitment to getting it done.

It is a true fact that the written complaint receives attention where often the verbal does not.

My son and his eldest are coming late morning tomorrow to help me trim shrubs and some lower branches on the red leaf maple in front, so I’ve been moving the large pile of cut tree branches from spring storm-damage trimming into the garage…from the patio where they’ve been drying all summer near shrubs which will be trimmed tomorrow.

Good for my aging bones, lifting those bags of wood I can barely get off the ground.

They will take some of that home for their fire pit, but most of it will be burned in the woodstove before too much longer.

We had some rain earlier in the week, tho not enough it stormed hard enough that Miss Lily was panting hard and huddled by me for hours…little sleep that night.

After reading a post here earlier in the week about a possible shortage, I snagged from my local WalMart enough of the pink RV antifreeze I use to winterize for this fall and again next year.

Just in case.

I don’t want to fill a room with it, but like the 10-pack of toilet paper I’ve still got stashed from 1 1/2 years ago, it doesn’t hurt to be just a bit ahead of current needs.

It is officially fall, and all is well here.

Maggie
Old 09-25-2021, 09:55 AM   #7102
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Baked a pan of cookies for them coming to help with choring here in a bit…and this small-ish apple crisp for me.

Because it’s officially fall, and because I wanted it.

I like to double the filling in these kinds of desserts, so there is more fruit and less topping.

I used four Honey Crisp apples, because I had them.

I also like oats on my apple crisp, for a small bit of fiber.

All of the above, plus Splenda Brown and a handful of chopped pecans equals a not-too-guilty indulgence.

I think I may have posted this recipe last year, but am going to do so again…

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...a-f5022ae8bad6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3E62085D-6DE1-424C-868E-BE901F755515.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	404831  
Old 09-26-2021, 05:19 AM   #7103
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
How awful, and what a nightmare scenario.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...rails-montana/

This was our westbound train in June, the derailment occurring out on the Montana prairie.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8BEE8DD4-97E8-4671-AD94-2DEB2F83042F.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	404885  
Old 09-28-2021, 08:40 AM   #7104
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A couple from North Carolina at the lighthouse project last month had a simple little truck camper they’d been all over the country in, and were also avid backpackers/wilderness campers.

They each had a flat bowl made for backpackers that had a lid with an opening for sipping, and out of those they would drink their morning coffee.

I was enamored with the visual of doing nothing else but two-handed sipping from a bowl, and it reminded me of the French tradition of cafe au lait out of bowls.

How often does one do just one thing at a time, is what occurred to me…but holding a bowl with two hands means you can’t also be checking the news, emails, texts, AirForums, etc.

The green mug is what I am drinking my cappuccino out of as I type, brought to me by one of my daughters’ friends with some soothing teas shortly after Doug died.

The other, an online photo of the French tradition.

Peaceful looking, isn’t it, holding a warm bowl with both hands, doing nothing else but sipping a delicious coffee???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F9325745-956D-48B7-AEA3-6F952136AE18.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	405078   Click image for larger version

Name:	420CE6A4-809D-435B-98D5-7F28F11BCAD6.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	405079  

Old 09-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #7105
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
My grandparents were from Sweden. Grandma would make boiled coffee and pour it into a cup which would add 2 sugar cubes and fresh cream (they farmed). She would then pour some into the saucer and drink from there.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #7106
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I finished the book “Rose”, by Martin Cruz Smith last night, and it was excellent.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/151347.Rose

Set in and around a coal mine in England in the 1870’s, rich in historical detail, some suspense and scullduggery, a little romance…plenty to hold ones interest.

Being a highly claustrophobic person , some of the detail inside the mine tunnels was a bit hard to get thru, but I finished it over three or four days without having any nightmares.

Such a dangerous occupation, with women working as “pit girls”, children and ponies lowered thousands of feet beneath the earth to work the mine…unlike anything I have ever read.

I am on my last candle and so spent some time this morning cleaning out my containers and scraping out the leavings to remelt and repurpose into new candles.

I had read somewhere that you can melt down what is left in your candles and make a new one(s), which I did (2), so we’ll see how they burn.

I’m not a real crafty sort, tho candles and crochet I can do.

Our street resurfacing is coming along, but was supposed to be finished today and the final layer is not yet down, so unless they work into the night it ain’t gonna happen.

Having complained rather vigorously about the state of this street last year, I can’t bring myself to complain that they’re not keeping to the schedule provided us, tho we’ve all in the houses worked our lives around the days we were told the road would be essentially closed.

There is a website it would take only minutes to update, however, and I’d be glad to do it for them but, alas, I have not been asked.

Patience, Margaret.

Twil be luvly when done, ‘tis true.

Maggie
Old 10-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #7107
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our street resurfacing finally finished on Friday about 7pm.

Quite the process, but it looks 100% better, and I have properly thanked the city administrator who responded to my emails and photos last year.

Been puttering and ridding out this week… tho I can’t eliminate all superfluous items without getting the little house down to Spartan furnishings, I am doing what I can.

I made eight of these candles the other day, using about 10 cups liquid, melted soy chips, 2oz rosemary essential oil, 1oz each cedar and patchouli essential oils.

Heavenly.

Should last me the fall and winter, at least the part where I am home.

Going to take a few days next week for a final trip in the Interstate, then empty, drain everything and winterize.

Due to a thread here alerting that Winterization fluid may be difficult to come by this year, I promptly ordered and have received enough for this year and next.

The pandemic will end, eventually, but when is still very uncertain…and until it does, chaos in our supply chains seems a constant.

I maintain a small store of what I consider essentials, which just seems the right thing to do.

All we can do is all we can do.

I have been strangely unsettled by this horrific Petito/Laundrie situation the last few weeks, and have struggled to define what it is that has touched me so deeply.

Besides the beautiful young woman murdered at such a young age, and her missing fiancé.

Off on a great adventure together, smiling in videos and photographs from spectacular locations, with so much apparently going on behind the scenes.

Opportunities missed, as professionals intervened but were unable to reach and save her.

So, so sad.

I only hope that as her final message to the world that the police recordings of those August encounters reach others who may be in similar relationships…and headed for the same rocks.

Rest In Peace, Gabby.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ADC1C550-C380-4DF3-BBC1-27DA9E720660.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	405398  
Old 10-04-2021, 07:48 AM   #7108
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
About 5 months post-op, and tho healing is not complete when I have a little makeup on the surgical scar is barely visible.

My eyebrow has almost completely grown back in, and looks like the two halves will soon line up completely.

However, if I’d let the dermatologist remove this little lesion several years ago when it was still little and superficial, this surgery would not have been necessary.

Public Service Announcement:

These little things don’t go away on their own.

See a dermatologist and let him/her remove it before Mohs Surgery is necessary.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A352744F-3787-4CE3-B528-CD5E2CE1B7D5.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	405459   Click image for larger version

Name:	E915E4DF-05DB-48D5-8AEE-C31F376D950B.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	405460  

Old 10-05-2021, 11:19 AM   #7109
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Emma had a choir concert last evening at her high school, and this was the view from our seats.

A half dozen different sub-choirs, some live instruments, and many very talented young people.

Each group wore these masks throughout, and sang beautifully projecting thru them.

It’s a pandemic, year two.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	17355457-19EB-4656-B1AA-F465B4679DF6.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	405567  
Old 10-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #7110
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I cancelled my little trip this week, some other things going on needing tended to, but am going to run the Interstate out to empty and drain over the weekend…then winterize and it will be down to bed for the next couple of months.

So instead of being gone I’ve been puttering and tidying this week…cleaned and organized the lower shelf in my frig where I keep rice, grains, flours, yeast, flax meal, etc., inventoried my back shelf pantry, and did a little touch up painting and readying of the little house for winter.

I haven’t been able to get past the feeling of hunkering down that came with the onset of the pandemic.

We are sooooo not out of the woods yet, and that what one is able to find at the grocery store varies on any given day is a constant reminder of continued supply chain disruptions.

So when I see things in stock that I use regularly, I grab one as backup because next time I come in it may not be there.

Strange times we are living in, tho we in the US are not experiencing real hardship by any reasonable standard.

Just a global, 21st century pandemic.

My son will be here today to trim some low-hanging branches on the red leaf maple out front for me…I bought a long handled lopper last weekend, but wielding it over my head from a step stool is not something I can easily do.

I’m already thinking about my trip south and then East this winter, and that it is a privilege to be able to travel is not lost on me.

Three winters since a real rambling, meandering trip thru favorite places, and I’m looking forward to it.

And, I’m grateful I am able to go.

My wood guy and his sweet wife were here last evening with firewood, so between this and the sections I have garaged from tree trimming last spring I should be good to go.

No cold weather on the horizon just yet, but it’s out there.

And, I’m ready.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9EDEBABF-4AEF-409B-8626-25E223D99572.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	405774  
Old 10-11-2021, 12:19 PM   #7111
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Some days are meant to teach us patience…that is something I believe in my heart.

At Menards early yesterday morning, I had previously purchased a quart of paint in the right color…but in semi gloss rather than satin finish.

Not suitable for touch up painting.

So I thought then yesterday I had purchased the right color in the right finish, having photographed the coding on the paint lid , until I started touching up the area in my hallway this morning…and now I had the right finish but quite noticeably the wrong color.

As I have company coming tomorrow, nothing to do but go back to Menards with a paint chip I dug out from under a switch plate, hoping it was big enough for a color match.

It was a very busy mid-day at the Menards paint counter, requiring that reinforcements be brought from elsewhere in the store, and 45 minutes later I left with my new paint.

I’m standing there, with several others also waiting for our paint to be mixed, reminding myself that this day is to teach me patience.

And it was perfect match, in the right finish…touch-up completed, and the day was saved.

Sigh.

Bought grass seed this morning, too, and will get that down sometime this week.

And I believe that will be the end of outdoor chores at the little house.

Raining today, lows in the 30’s expected this weekend.

Tanks have been emptied and the system drained…I still need to get winterization fluid in the Interstate.

Another day.

Maggie
Old 10-12-2021, 09:23 AM   #7112
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This recipe for homemade pumpkin pie spice was in the Washington Post yesterday.

I picked up some dried orange peel and mixed some up this morning, and can’t wait to try it as it smells amazing with the addition of orange peel.

I’m not a big pumpkin pie lover, would rather add an extra egg and just bake the filling in a casserole dish as a pudding.

It’s a yellow vegetable.

The small jars are their picture, and would make pretty gifts.

Homemade Pumpkin Spice

2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated/ground nutmeg or mace
1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice or ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cardamom or 1 teaspoon granulated dried orange peel (optional)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E54F758A-1F0C-4B6C-A294-8D30D8E1BDE7.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	406114   Click image for larger version

Name:	A690204C-56E9-4347-A5E1-1D8C5636D41D.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	406115  

Old 10-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #7113
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie, we saw the same recipe yesterday and thought they would make nice takealongs. Then thought "oh but we're not going anywhere" so they would make nice doorway droppers this year.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #7114
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’m of the belief that this no-knead, Dutch Oven bread is near-impossible to ruin, but still…some days it is simply more gorgeous than others.

Today is one of those days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A59E37C1-401D-484B-A04F-53A0D73D202A.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	406176  
Old 10-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #7115
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Maggie; I am sure you have posted the recipe before but would you mind doing it again.
Thanks; Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #7116
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, this is a link to a pdf document.

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link...1-f75cb4484414

This loaf had about 1/2 cup cooked polenta in it and was as perfect as it looked, airy and chewy with a crisp crust.

Yum.

I’ve had company the last couple of days, an old friend I haven’t seen in a number of years but who I’ve known since the early 1980’s.

We’ve done a lot of catching up, and have both talked ourselves about hoarse.

Pot roast in the crockpot, a good bread, homemade cookies...dinner at Maggie’s house.

Maggie
Old 10-14-2021, 12:56 PM   #7117
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This article in the WP today about creativity keeping your mind young, and this particular excerpt about how travel is good for the aging brain.

I read something else on this just recently

So, we’re all ahead of the curve.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...cd2_story.html

Think — and travel — outside the box

“People who travel tend to be more creative,” said Darya Zabelina, a psychology professor at the University of Arkansas. Traveling encourages people to reexamine their models of reality, Zabelina said. Some studies show that travelers have more creative success, and people who enjoy unfamiliar experiences perform better on divergent thinking tests, open-ended questions calling for numerous ideas. Performance on these tests differs from IQ and may predict aspects of real-world creativity.

Writer Naomi Shihab Nye, 69, of San Antonio calls herself a “wandering poet.” Through extensive travel, she’s become more observant, writing about the parallels she sees among different cultures in her work, which includes novels, young adult fiction, picture books, songwriting and poetry. “It’s utterly important to keep exposing yourself to experiences to be less rigid and judgmental,” said Nye, who received a lifetime achievement award from the National Book Critics Circle.“

Maggie
Old 10-15-2021, 10:47 AM   #7118
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
While in line at my nearby Starbucks for a post-Friday-morning-housecleaning, half-caf mocha treat for myself , I was thinking about my upcoming road trip to my daughters, a little day trip scheduled for next week, etc., and the often running thru my head “if something happens to me…” kind of contingency planning I do a lot of these days.

I am really pretty healthy and active for a 72 year old, but one could be in a car accident, there could be an earthquake or other natural disaster, and first responders these days are going to want to know if people are vaccinated against covid.

If one is alert and responsive, one can simply say so, but if one is not that is a different story.

Thinking to myself…I wonder if anyone is making “fully vaccinated” stickers, that a person could affix to the back of ones drivers license or other easily accessed location where a first responder is likely to look?

Of course they are, there are all kinds of them out there, mostly to give out for people to put on their shirts, etc., but I am going to put one on the back of my drivers license.

These are very inexpensive, and I’ve ordered a few sheets of these 2.5” diameter stickers for my own use, to give to my kids and to share around with others who may be interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems a good idea, to me.

We don’t want to carry our original vaccination cards with us all the time, and having a photo of it in your phone is only helpful if you are alert and able to access it.

Hmmm???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0EBEC63F-2F6F-476C-A12E-D99DEE1D9A26.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	406314  
Old 10-17-2021, 05:48 AM   #7119
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It’s here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0E306E82-3EE8-4BB6-8D07-5C78BF1CC214.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	406477  
Old 10-18-2021, 11:10 AM   #7120
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Freezing weather expected later this week, and so I drove out to the Interstate with 3 gallon jugs of the pink stuff this morning…not because I wanted to, but because it had to be done.

All freezables removed, winterization completed and brought in my beautiful spoon of plum wood that Eric-from-the-Forest-service made for me.

I think I’m going to take pictures of that spoon in various places for him.

He told me he wanted me to take it to all HC projects, which I will, but it’s in the little house where I can use it til I head out again.

Lily has had a lipoma in her groin the last couple of years that has not grown rapidly but has grown steadily, and is now large enough that it fills my hand.

Doesn’t seem to bother her in the slightest, but it’s just a matter of time.

And, like her mama, she’s not getting any younger, as she will soon be 12.

So, they’re going to put her under to remove it after I return from NY next month, also one about the size of a golf ball that lives in the folds of her neck.

And clean her teeth while she’s under.

Poor baby. She gets the shakes just going in there, and will be very unhappy with me when I pick her up after all that, but it needs done.

Sigh.

Fall is here, air is crisp and cool…my most favorite time of year.

Maggie