Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2021, 05:59 AM   #6721
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I walked Lily and did necessary choring yesterday, then settled down with a cafe mocha and my crochet to watch this new Netflix offering...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviving_Death

I watched all 6 episodes, and found much of it very consistent with what I have experienced and come to believe since Doug died.

Some of the content I have no experience with, but I sat thru it all with my most open mind toward things I know little about.

My daughter sent this picture of Lucy-the-pit-bull , curled up on a holiday themed fleece blankie I made them some years back, so I am posting it to give an idea of what a different edging can look like.

I have been known to lay a length of fleece on the floor in the yarn aisles, so that I can lay skeins of yarn on it to see which might make the best edging...on occasion, soliciting feedback from other shoppers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D6CCD167-0FC4-4B2A-9450-745BE8765971.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	387085  
Old 01-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #6722
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’m certain there is a lot of activity in homes across our country right now that is designed to soothe the collective souls of our nation, which are in such disarray.

I really like the “doing something that needs to be done”, also baking something that requires a small bit of skill...because, there you have a sense of accomplishment with, in a relatively short period of time, something you actually have control over.

So this morning I made a run to the store...which does not have grapefruit knives...hauled firewood into the house and then from the outside into the rack in the garage.

Walked Lily, and baked this small loaf of French bread I think I have posted before...

https://onedishkitchen.com/french-bread-recipe/

It’s white bread, basically, and not the usual for me, but after awhile a slice with soup from my freezer will be dinner.

Has a little honey in it, which is delicious, and as a free form loaf is a little more interesting that one made in a loaf pan.

In my opinion.

I am sooooooo ready for life to settle down, on several fronts.

Now, settled down with my tea, crochet and Netflix for a few hours.

Have started “The Liberator.”, based on real events...and which, although digitized, looks like it will be interesting and uplifting.

Can use a bit of that, I have to say.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F128B37A-EF67-4B1B-BAA0-AE1CFA69A53B.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	533.3 KB
ID:	387117   Click image for larger version

Name:	17863619-384C-49B6-9C25-1C838A43F6DC.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	387118  

Old 01-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #6723
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
“The Liberator” is actually very good, in my opinion, and I’m going to watch the last of the four episodes this afternoon.

In the final one, it looks like they liberate a concentration camp, which needed to be left for another day.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81019775

Based on a true story, the hero is a young, skilled and compassionate officer with principles, who put his men first and turned a squad of undisciplined, mixed race men from Oklahoma into a cohesive fighting force.

And, based on a true story...about real men, and real events.

It is called “adult animation”, which is a tiny bit distracting, but I got used to it because I really liked the story line and the characters.

It is, in fact, uplifting and inspiring, and made other things I might call problems pale in comparison...this was war, men were dying and suffering extreme conditions and hardship in the field.

Buck up, I told myself.

However, I do feel that HOPE just around the corner, and that after a year of this awful pandemic we may soon see it brought under control.

It’s time.

Made a run out yesterday and picked up yarn to make this piece from my stash of fleece to send to darling daughter and sweet son in law in NY.

Lucy the pit bull has apparently claimed for her own the first one I made for my daughter, 15 years ago or so...time for a replacement.

If you get into a place like JoAnn’s to look at fleece, trust me that you will have trouble not buying a half dozen pieces before you get out of there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	18944CD7-6A4E-4810-9F4A-09DD594916F4.jpg
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	387153  
Old 01-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #6724
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day...let’s all take a huge, collective breath.

Tho very cold, today is our second consecutive day of sunshine...it’s a sign, I tell myself, and I have hope in my heart for the days, weeks and months ahead.

Am going to begin a “staging” area for travel, and am planning on leaving sometime in February.

I’ve done a lot of thinking about it and believe I can travel safely, having the absolute minimum physical contact necessary with objects and limiting to bare necessity going into a grocery store.

Also masking and social distancing, of course.

I need some Edisto time, as it has been quite the year.

Two grapefruit knives arrived in the mail yesterday, unavailable in both grocery stores I have been in the last 10 days or so, but they are available online.

One for the little house, one for the Interstate.

Going to make ambrosia in the morning from the rest of my grapefruit and oranges. Yum!

Allowed myself a foray into TJMaxx yesterday, as it is a good place to find salmon and chicken jerky for Miss Lily...also pajamas for me, and the occasional coffee mug.

This one called out to me from the shelf, and at $4.99 for a handmade mug I decided that as it made me smile that was all that was needed.

It is a sturdy, heavy, gorgeous mug, with a speckled glaze on it but for the heart on each side which are unfinished pottery. What’s not to love?

Inexpensive, a little self nurturing.

It probably holds 15 ounces...too large for morning coffee but perfect for my early afternoon tea.

I love it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	451938DF-D6B6-44AB-8A0B-0192AD516D7B.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	387272   Click image for larger version

Name:	7D1B9C22-4074-43BB-8EA1-E39305CFDE55.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	387273  

Old 01-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #6725
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Finished this blankie, going to wash it up and ship it east on Monday.

The heavier border gives it a very nice heft and drape, for lack of a better description, and it kept me nice and warm while I worked on it.

We are still in cold-but-sunny, and the sunshine is a real mood brightener, I have to say.

I am fortunate to not have had any serious tree damage from the ice and snow a couple of weeks ago, as neighbors did and there’s been a guy busy at one of them with a chain saw now for the third consecutive day.

I found this One Dish Kitchen website somewhere awhile back, and get her very enjoyable newsletter every week, which is filled with small batch recipes, little tips and hints.

Yesterday, it included a recipe for cinnamon rolls made with a small can of refrigerated biscuits.

https://onedishkitchen.com/how-to-ma...+-+1%2F22%2F21

So, needing a run to WalMart anyway, I picked up one and made these this morning.

They are plenty good for a non-yeast roll, and don’t make a dozen or more. You can apparently slice them, then freeze to thaw and bake just a couple at a time.

I didn’t frost mine, as the cinnamon with a little sugar and pecans was delicious all by itself.

I used brown sugar instead of white, and added pecans, also melted the butter in the medium cast iron skillet I baked these in, and that worked out well.

Be sure to press the biscuit seams tightly to seal, or they will want to come apart as you roll it all up and then cut.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	88149E9F-8004-49D7-B524-328CF8B40816.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	387387   Click image for larger version

Name:	563CB75C-97F4-4510-9EB3-D701E6618A0D.jpg
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	387388  

Old 01-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #6726
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hauled firewood this morning, did a little cleaning in my garage while we have slightly warmer temps , walked Miss Lily, then settled down to crochet and watch something on Netflix.

From My List: “The Red Sea Diving Resort” , and it was excellent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_..._Diving_Resort

Based on a true story, and real events.

I’ve said this before, but most of us born in this country truly don’t know what hardship and suffering is.

The plight of refugees makes ones paltry issues just fade into insignificance.

I like reading about and watching stories about real people who made a difference in the world by stepping up and doing the right thing.

Inspiring and heartwarming, and we so need that right now.

Doing some reflecting back on the past year, I truly find some good came for me and my life for having to mostly be still, and at home.

I am grateful for that.

Got lots of chores taken care of, and some things processed and laid to rest that needed to be done.

Life stressors sometimes come in rapid sequence, or multiples at a time, and it can be good...whenever and however it comes...to spend some concentrated time with yourself and your own thoughts.

“Declare victory and move on”, as the man says.

I would say we are all legitimate survivors of 2020, and I feel hopeful.

Yep, and it’s a good thing.

Maggie
Old 01-26-2021, 08:37 AM   #6727
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Got a little ice and snow, so am going to pull my YakTrax back out for a walk with Miss Lily here in a bit.

They got two feet of snow from this same system not that far north of us, which would be immobilizing, so I cannot complain.

Am nearly to the end of my firewood, so my wood guy is bringing me another load sometime this week.

It’s been a heavy usage winter.

This mornings roast...and these are absolutely gorgeous!

Glossy and dark, with a rich, deep aroma.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F3898BB2-3EFD-4D68-B477-BC38E3F40086.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	387594  
Old 01-28-2021, 10:46 AM   #6728
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A “feels like” temp this morning of -1 degree.

I’m truly spoiled, missing most of this the last 14 winters.

This article was in the Washington Post yesterday, and made me a bit teary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...s/?arc404=true

“The Holocaust as an Underlying Condition”, about very elderly survivors living out their final years in Israel, and dealing with the myriad of difficulties which life is dispensing during the pandemic.

There’s a passel of volunteers keeping them fed, getting them vaccinated, providing all kinds of support, but their unique experiences make some of the pandemic hardships particularly difficult.

A sobering article, and timely.

I think if I could only read one newspaper, it would be the Washington Post.

So, been debating with myself about making the trip to Edisto, my concerns being...the chance of infection on the way to/from/while there, and whether my absence from home for a minimum of 4 weeks will make me miss my first chance for the vaccine.

Tier 1b is 65 and over here, and my healthcare provider with their very limited supply of vaccines is triaging their patients within that, vaccinating the sickest first...which is the way it should be, but it puts me way down the list.

High infection rate my entire route to SC, also within the state itself, and I will have to do the full dewinterization/sanitation thing.

Spoke with the park at Edisto this morning...she reports the town and campgrounds are doing well, masks are required inside any of the park buildings, everyone just wants to be there and has been very compliant.

Restaurant are open, with most people doing carry out.

She said they haven’t had any outbreaks at the park, and there has been little in the town.

I’m still on the fence, but leaning more toward going than skipping it.

I’ve been successful thus far at keeping myself safe.

Sigh. I can skip almost anything, but Edisto.

Nothin’ much going on at the little house, eating mostly out of my freezer , going to grind up today the beans I roasted the other day.

They’ve been “curing”.

Maggie
Old 01-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #6729
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I believe this is the first CD I’ve purchased since Doug died, but it arrived late Tuesday and I listened to it thru several times yesterday.

I can almost crawl inside “Tennessee Whiskey”, and just stay there.

I think I’m also going to have to have “Starting Over”, and there’s a few other albums I have my eye on.

It’s a good thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1BE3A96E-450D-4A19-85E2-CAA3461E9C5D.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	387720  
Old 01-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #6730
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We're thinking some sel contained traveling can almost be as little contact as staying go home.

You have to get gas and groceries in both locations though not as much gas if staying home. At gas stations we mask and glove. Getting our single credit card out in advance. Wiping our card down with the wet wipe when we're done, depositing our gloves and then getting back in the car and using sanitizer. At campground check in you can double mask, wear gloves and you've likely already paid with your credit card in advance. When using the public facilities, if that's necessary, we mask, take a tissue to open the door in either direction and sanitize again when getting back to the trailer. You usually cook a fair amount and take out food can be delivered curbside.

Edisto sounds doable.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #6731
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for that encouragement.

Had a text this morning from someone who has traveled across the country, and they basically said the same thing.

I was out three times last year, and kept myself safe, so why should that change, right?

I think my biggest concern is having to dewinterize and sanitize my fresh water system, meaning several stops at dump stations in fairly short order to deal with that.

I’ll watch for a break in the weather next month, and that will be my sign that it’s time to go.

Maggie
Old 01-30-2021, 11:07 AM   #6732
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The last coffee bean roast was the best, thus far.

There’s a very fine line...a matter of seconds...between dark roast and burned, I have found, tho I have only gotten to the latter once.

Not enough heat, they don’t roast properly. Too high or not enough motion, burned.

Medium high heat, keep the little roaster moving constantly, stop before the second crack has finished.

Perfect!

Cold here, with rain starting this afternoon and turning to snow, not supposed to stop until tomorrow evening.

Raided my freezer, made a run to buy an onion, and...voila!!!

Chicken noodle soup.

Good and good for you.

Picking up yarn at Michaels this morning, this reusable bag called to me, and after initialing resisting its pull, I bought it and carried my purchases home.

These are perfect for loading and unloading the Interstate, folding up into almost nothing to stash behind the drivers seat in the in-between times.

Paris.

What’s not to love.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6C4C25E1-6117-4294-AAE1-A484FB721F50.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	387814   Click image for larger version

Name:	7B97CEC1-2B72-4EE3-AD9D-48E5A23FAA41.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	387815  

Old 01-31-2021, 07:26 AM   #6733
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My current blankie-from-fleece-stash project, which is going to be gorgeous.

Took three tries to get the right shade of yarn, carrying just a cut-off corner into the store resulting in yarns that looked fine inside but not so much at home in the daylight.

Yesterday morning I took the latest purchase back, along with the entire piece of fleece into the store, and got a beautiful match.

These make really great gifts for friends and family, also as donations to charity or your local county nursing home, where residents are lower income and may not have nice things or a lot of outside support.

Watching the “Bernie’s Mittens” success in multiple spinoff fundraising venues, if one were to donate crochet-edged blankets for charities to auction off that might be a really good fundraiser.

Recipients love them, they wash and wear well for years, and are just warm and cozy.

We had rain most of yesterday and all of last night, now turned to snow and projected to last the day.

Winter in the Midwest.

Going to take Lily for a walk in it in a bit, then settle down in front of the fire to work on this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4EB5DF6C-539C-4A82-87B0-092FE2E2694B.jpg
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	387858   Click image for larger version

Name:	FEE4EB94-C283-41C0-A2E8-CCED508A6A77.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	387859  

Old 02-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #6734
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We only got about an inch of snow from the storm that came thru here, much less than neighbors to the north, so am going to put on snow shoveling gear and get to cleaning my driveway here in a bit.

Serious cold is coming, however.

I started reading this book last night, “Winter Sisters”, not at first realizing it is by the same author of “My Name is Mary Sutter”...an historical fiction which I read awhile back, and enjoyed very much.

https://books.google.com/books/about...ok_description

Mary Sutter was a midwife who braved all the gender stereotypes and restrictions of the Civil War era to work alongside more traditional medical personnel and treat the wounded.

In “Winter Sisters”, Mary Sutter appears again.

She has gone to medical school and become a physician, and is a key figure in this book.

There has been a blizzard, many have died and some are still missing.

One young woman, who is nearly paralyzed with grief, is being counseled by another somewhat older and wiser, the latter urging the first to go on when she feels she simply can’t...thru practice, by practicing being alive.

Practicing living...until the worst has passed, and the numbness has begun to subside.

The getting up and going on, thru the aftermath of death and/or other trauma that has upended our life...a shared human experience.

The power of other peoples words.

It helps a little every single time I read these kinds of things.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6EC7A528-1182-4072-8574-502C01C855FD.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	387946  
Old 02-04-2021, 10:27 AM   #6735
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Once again, today we have rain turning to snow, with severe cold coming for the next week and lows predicted at -12 degrees.

I have been out to the Post Office and Michaels this morning, car is in the garage and we will hunker down the next few days.

My wood guy, who juggles two jobs, a wife and a house with his side gig cutting and delivering firewood, left these giant pieces on my front porch about 5:30 this morning, to be sure I have wood until he can get me a load tomorrow afternoon...hopefully.

Bless his little heart.

4-5 pieces of this in a bag weigh a good 40-50lbs, which I could barely carry inside...but good for my aging bones, I tell myself.

I brought it all in, because, it is raining and blowing and fixin’ to snow, and as we all know damp and cold wood does not burn especially well.

Going to my son’s on Sunday and going to make/take my sweet grands some Valentines Day sugar cookies...because they will love them, and it gives Grandma an excuse to make them.

I have one heart-shaped cutter, but found this set that includes “littles”, which are perfect for cutting the excess dough from bigger cookies so that you don’t have to re-roll as often.

I finished “Winter Sisters” last night, and it was very good, rich in historical detail of many kinds.

Hard to read in places, but carefully and meticulously researched and a rather sobering glimpse into life in New York State in 1879.

When the age of consent for a female was 10 years of age. Wow.

Watching several websites and hoping to get a vaccine before I head toward South Carolina.

It is a bit of a Chinese fire drill in my state, but if i can’t get it before I leave I’m going to double mask in public places and otherwise take the same precautions that have kept me safe this past year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2A5A02E5-09E8-4AF4-B0EB-34EE2D8D41B6.jpg
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	388090   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF3DDC93-8FD4-4610-860B-ACF7384B1D80.jpg
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	388091  

Old 02-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #6736
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
You always keep me grounded...
DaveP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:48 PM   #6737
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, DaveP.

Maggie
Old 02-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #6738
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Was supposed to have my firewood delivered this afternoon, to learn my wood guys’ wife has just been diagnosed with Covid, he has gone to be tested and must quarantine.

They may find someone to bring it into town to me, but it’s starting to sound like a load of wood that is not meant to be delivered.

I do have a furnace, and we will not freeze.

She works at one of the grade schools here, and feels certain she caught it at the school.

Yikes, such a ******* year it has been, and it ain’t over by a long shot...may be a couple more years of precautions of some sort, even once we can all get vaccinated, is what I’m reading.

I caught one vaccine appointment on our health department website this morning, but they require you commit to coming back on March 5th for your second dose. Ummm, no.

There is a one dose vaccine coming in a month or two...I’m for that one.

Going to get my things pulled together, get my hair trimmed next week and then try to be on the road before the -14 degree temps get here the end of next week.

2020, 2021...

Maggie
Old 02-07-2021, 07:58 AM   #6739
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
-7 degrees here this morning, and a light coating of snow late yesterday...but no more precipitation due for the remainder of the week so looks like we’ll be able to make a run for it.

I have started the engine every couple of weeks, but the Interstate hasn’t been driven in 3-4 months or so, whenever I last had work done.

Going to get the tire pressure and lug nuts checked, and hope for the best.

Cookies baked and decorated for my sweet babies today.

If I had a dime for every sugar cookie I have baked and decorated over the years, I could probably fund a trip of some sort.

Baked and decorated them, helped my kids and then the grands do the same, with Doug doing his part during his years in our life.

A small labor of love.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1885B747-3CE3-4FBA-A1A1-1F0B45B4129A.jpg
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	388260  
Old 02-07-2021, 10:09 AM   #6740
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie glad you will be able to do your getaway. Driving to your tire appointment will also help to smooth out any flat spots from the tires since it has set awhile.

Those cookies look delightful. Nice work and memories. Very nice shape. I'm a much better cook than baker as baking takes more precision and patience. Since learning that chilling the dough before baking helps them keep their shapes our "cut" cookies look a bit better.

We're enjoying the weekly small portion cooking blog you recommended. She has good recipes and tips.

I grew up cooking for 7 so my portions for the two of us can be a bit much. Granted I've never run out of food and we like leftovers. Leftovers at home are easily managed but on camping trips not as easy. Don't want to eat the same good the whole trip

On one camping ocassion I used two large dutch ovens for stew and cobbler that was finished at 7:30 in the dark. We had so much food that I wandered around to the nearby campers (pre Covid) and invited them to bring over their bowls for some servings. Luckily a large group of seniors (who I had seen eating their dinner at 5pm) saved us and took lots of servings.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote