Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #4261
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ordered this 5x7 indoor/outdoor rug to go here...

I think it will be pretty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4696.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	531.3 KB
ID:	286444  
Old 05-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #4262
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Looks like a good spot to read, think, relax. Enjoy!
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #4263
Rivet Master

I agree with Mimi. That space looks very inviting and the rug will pull it together nicely.
Enjoy your weekend.
Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #4264
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Had the last of my spring medical appointments this morning...you know how it is, male or female, you see your physicians and dentist, then also have to have the preventative prodding, poking and/or X-raying of relevant body parts.

All important, but I feel I have been consumed with these the past couple of months...because, I have.

Had my last one this morning, and there actually are no appointments of any kind on my calendar for next week..just Moraine View.

Interstate goes in this afternoon for its scraping down and recaulking of the roof, tho the last such application 3 years ago has still not yet leaked, so I hope Cummins does as good a job as Peterbilt...it is something Doug always did, but I cannot, so must hire it out to those who can.

Need to get my hair trimmed yet, the garage door opener installed and my rock border down (must be getting close, as the city has been out to mark utilities in the yard), then little house tasks are essentially completed and I can begin preparing for heading out on my next long trip...mid-June, or thereabouts.

I'm ready, and starting to get excited about it.

Made some more shell pavers yesterday for one of the back yard beds, saving back just enough shells to make one more for my Iowa City granddaughter...who has a "secret garden" at her house, where Grandma promised a shell paver would be provided.

I found a lot of olives this last trip, of all sizes and colors, starting at Tybee Island...where my first venture out on the beach turned up not a one, and they are the State shell of South Carolina, you know, so I have a particular fondness for them.

Walking and talking to Doug about that beautiful island, where we'd never been together, and he being very much in my heart after the visit to his memorial bench the day before, I said to him honey, help me find an olive shell...not that it's his job as now-spirit-hubby, to help me find olive shells, I was just being bit silly....but when we returned to the beach the next morning, it looked as if an entire bed of olives had washed up overnight.

I didn't pick them all up, as someone else might want some , but I picked up a lot of them, and continued to find them the rest of my beach time that trip.

Coincidence? I think not.

Tybee will become a return-to place each year now, and I have two weeks reserved there next year already.

My neighbors to the south have also bought a home there, and are moving this Saturday...both of them university professors, one of whom has accepted a high powered position at a university in Savannah, a big enough deal that they are moving them from here to there.

I'm very happy for them, but they have lived next door about 20 years, and I am sad to see them go.

But...life.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4700.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	557.2 KB
ID:	286520  
Old 05-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #4265
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a serious sweet tooth, ya know, and homemade desserts only occasionally being available to indulge in, thank goodness , I am always on the lookout for something with nutritional value o keep around that will also fill the sweet treat bill.

Found these in WM, and they are delicious

The chocolate coating is very, very light, but still there ...and I mixed them with their roasted and lightly sea-salted ones. Yum!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4701.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	286521  
Old 05-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #4266
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Turning this prayer shawl in this afternoon, I have to say this is one of the prettiest ones I have made thus far, and will use this stitch pattern again.

Tho a simple pattern, it did not seem to lend itself well to talking and visiting while crocheting, as I tore a couple of rows out due to mistakes about a half dozen times in the process of making this one.

Doesn't really show in the photo, but the yarn is lovely soft green.

Probably my last for awhile...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4702.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	286524  
Old 05-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #4267
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hey there Maggie!!! I love the rug and you new space... that pattern on the shawl looks like shells!!.. and your pavers are beautiful!!! You are multi talented for sure.... for the sweet tooth thing, I make granola bars and add chocolate chips... and cover the top with a thin layer of dark chocolate... since its mostly oats and nuts and dried fruit I consider it almost healthy... it's wonderfully delicious... oh, and I add candied ginger... ok, I'm going to go get a piece!! Hugs and love to you..pats for the pup.. keep having fun!!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #4268
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi there, Gail.

I keep Kind bars around, too, which are a yummy but still nutritious treat.

Yes, I am loving the new space, and my rug arrives on Thursday.

I have a new outlet in my garage, now, so the garage door opener my kids bought me is being installed tomorrow.

I'm becoming very high tech, with a car that makes and receives phone calls, and now an electronic garage door opener.

Maggie
Old 05-31-2017, 05:40 AM   #4269
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My yard guy says he will begin my rock border later this week...yeayyy!

Going to start pulling up the rotting landscape timbers and marking where I want new or revised borders to go....still need to do something with the Lily-landing-pad I created a few years ago, off the back stoop, and think I will put River rock within that area.

She killed the grass, leaving mud for her to step in in wet weather , so I poured down gravel and put cement pavers over that....time to upgrade it a bit, and river rock will be pretty, can also add seashells at will, like the front bed.

I found this some time ago, and it spoke to me.

It applies to so many things in life...and, it's okay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4041.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	286605  
Old 06-01-2017, 05:42 AM   #4270
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
I love the quote! That is the truth. Too old for nonsense & drama.

Hope you & Lily have a good day. [emoji4]

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #4271
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Jane.

I spent yesterday morning removing and hauling to concrete the landscape timbers around the house and garden....til my shoulders ached, and I put off the far back til today.

The annual family "do" is Saturday...now at my son's ...so time to do some shopping and cooking for that, winding the week down.

The elderly gentleman I have mentioned, now in a nursing home, refuses to eat or drink enough to sustain himself properly, and sometimes refuses to take his medication. He is slowly starving and dehydrating himself to death.

Some days he won't get out of bed, or let anyone do anything for him, other days he's calling friends and family, believing he is someplace he is not and surrounded by people who aren't actually there.

I feel badly for him, and his family trying to manage him...as well as the wake of financial destruction he had gotten himself into before deteriorating to the point that he couldn't care for himself...and decision making was removed.

This is apparently pretty common with dementia...judgment is impaired in all areas, but ones inherent right to self determination prevents intervention against ones will until they are actually circling the drain.

And, that's the way it should be...but what a mess.

Maggie
Old 06-01-2017, 06:18 AM   #4272
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I forgot to put my "sitting" pillow up when I went to bed last night....Lily is snuggled up, sleeping in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4707.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	286664  
Old 06-01-2017, 07:43 AM   #4273
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Maggie; don't work so hard, you won't have time to make cookies; ummmmm!
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #4274
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
I am of a mind that some elderly people want to die and know it is time; it's their families who insist all be done to keep them alive.
Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:11 AM   #4275
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Maggie; don't work so hard, you won't have time to make cookies; ummmmm!
Ohhh, I will bring cookies...thinking Molasses Crinkles.

Maggie
Old 06-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #4276
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pienjim View Post
I am of a mind that some elderly people want to die and know it is time; it's their families who insist all be done to keep them alive.
Paula
I believe that, too, Paula, and have wondered that about this particular man.

If he's decided it's time to die, tho, he doesn't appear to be committed to it.

There is a DNR in place, and comfort measures only, so the family isn't trying or planning any extreme efforts. The lack of interest in eating and drinking even when alert and talking seems to be part stubbornness...he doesn't like what he is served, nor brought, nor is he willing or able to will himself to eat and drink...and also perhaps part of the dementia.

I also suspect he is very depressed.

I am sad for this man, and for his family....especially in contrast to the 94 year old grandmother I have just visited, whose family is able to care for her at home...encouraging her to eat and drink, tending to her needs as if she were a child. And, it's working.

We're all going to die or get old.

What awaits us individually, if we grow old, depends on lots of different factors.

Maggie
Old 06-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #4277
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
a form that one should have made is called "ADVANCED DIRECTIVES" this is one where the person makes ALL their wishes made known so that if questions come up, (ie. do not resuscitate) one knows what to do.
Usually the social worker at a hospital or nursing home etc. can help in writing this. The form or copy is than kept in the frig or freezer in a
RED container so family or emergency personnel can find it.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #4278
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #4279
Rivet Master

I have a poor rating for Most nursing homes, and this was proven to me time and time again, as I visited so many folks for their medical management. Nursing homes usually employ mostly "AIDES" who are poorly trained and paid little, and have minimal supervision. Therefore, patients are treated bad, sometimes abusively. Most of the "caregivers" give little care or compassion. The food served? My dog would refuse it!

My opinion....nursing homes are where old folks go to die a usually slow and miserable, lonely death.

My daughter has promised to never consider a nursing home for me. Nursing care and support at home is my preference, and this is in my will. I will leave my home feet first and cold! I don't blame the poor man....I blame the system!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #4280
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree with you, completely, Evelyn.

I know there are good caregivers in nursing homes, also some not so good, as with any profession.

Being all on one floor in a small house, my hope is that I can go a very long time on my own...and then caregivers could come to me when/if that time comes.

Sigh. Life.

Maggie

« No Game Changer | Top | - »