Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #4141
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail!

It has been a wild winter, and is becoming a wild spring.

Been unusually warm, now we are back to highs in the 50's and 60's, with some lows in the upper 30's.

Little woodstove is done for the season, tho, so will make do with the furnace.

I am tired...drinking tea, crocheting a lovely shade of pink prayer shawl, and resting up before getting Miss Lily onto the trail for a walk.

Maggie
Old 05-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #4142
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Maggie, long term disability insurance IS unaffordable - and for an excellant reason. The medical BUSINESS model is such that it is very profitable to keep people "alive" for weeks, months, and even years in a coma or persistent vegetative state.

And the love, fear and even guilt of family members makes it too easy to put the sick person on a ventilator indefinitely - especially if there is disagreement among the relatives and no DNR or durable power of attorney exists.

Dying is NOT an optional activity. If you happen to have a contentious or high drama family
Make absolutely sure that you jave have all the paperwork done and updated ---- and that the biggest drama queen(s) know they'll get nothing if they contest the decision of the person you designated.

I'd never say losing Doug was anything but awful for you or your family, but given a choice
... I just want to fall OUT of the door of my Airstream when I go. My sister wouldn't enjoy using it if...

Paula
Old 05-02-2017, 04:59 AM   #4143
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Maggie, long term disability insurance IS unaffordable - and for an excellant reason. The medical BUSINESS model is such that it is very profitable to keep people "alive" for weeks, months, and even years in a coma or persistent vegetative state.

And the love, fear and even guilt of family members makes it too easy to put the sick person on a ventilator indefinitely - especially if there is disagreement among the relatives and no DNR or durable power of attorney exists.

Dying is NOT an optional activity. If you happen to have a contentious or high drama family
Make absolutely sure that you jave have all the paperwork done and updated ---- and that the biggest drama queen(s) know they'll get nothing if they contest the decision of the person you designated.

I'd never say losing Doug was anything but awful for you or your family, but given a choice
... I just want to fall OUT of the door of my Airstream when I go. My sister wouldn't enjoy using it if...

Paula

My wife Alice and I have everything we and our attorney could think of in writing and shared all with our children. Including what happens to our dogs in the event we die and they survive after us. This includes who will take them, plus some funds to help the person taking them. Working in a rescue I've seen way too many wonderful pets dropped off after the owner dies because no one would or could take care of them. Even if the owner thought family would, they could not control the dog as they did not have the patience to help the dog through the grief they too suffer.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:27 AM   #4144
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Paula
Hi Paula, and good to hear from you!

As his wife, I was Doug's next of kin, so tho I wanted his children in agreement, the decision to take him off life support rested with me...and I could have made it without their consent, if I'd had to.

In his case, with no meaningful brain activity and by day 2 his organs demonstrating failure from the assault of prolonged lack of oxygen...his body was clearly trying to die, while the ventilator kept him alive, so the decision was agonizing but clear.

He wasn't going to survive that event, it was just a matter of how much we put his body through to get there. It was pretty devastating to watch, tho they assured me he was not suffering and was experiencing no pain.

I did the POA's last year with both of my kids when my daughter was home, so I am as ready as I can be in that regard.

The high drama in my family does not reside in my children. They will make good decisions, and in accordance with my wishes.

I agree with the sudden death analysis...certainly easiest on the dying, but have your affairs in order.

My only fear now is that something will happen to me, I'll be dead for days before found, and Lily will be without care during that time.

She's my dependent child, you know...I had the same fears when my children were small, and as soon as they were able I taught them how to dial 911.

All you can do is all you can do.

Thanks for dropping in, Paula. You are one of the wittiest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2017, 05:32 AM   #4145
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
My wife Alice and I have everything we and our attorney could think of in writing and shared all with our children. Including what happens to our dogs in the event we die and they survive after us. This includes who will take them, plus some funds to help the person taking them. Working in a rescue I've seen way too many wonderful pets dropped off after the owner dies because no one would or could take care of them. Even if the owner thought family would, they could not control the dog as they did not have the patience to help the dog through the grief they too suffer.

Bud
Hi Bud.

My son and his family would take Lily, as they love her almost as much as I do, but I can see some families not wanting others' pets.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2017, 05:52 AM   #4146
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I consider myself an articulate person, with a better than average command of vocabulary, but I had to look this word up...

Jeremiad

A jeremiad is a long literary work, usually in prose, but sometimes in verse, in which the author bitterly laments the state of society and its morals in a serious tone of sustained invective, and always contains a prophecy of society's imminent downfall.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:57 AM   #4147
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hi Bud.

My son and his family would take Lily, as they love her almost as much as I do, but I can see some families not wanting others' pets.

Maggie
I thought so, both our kids love our dogs but are highly allergic. Nephew and his wife will take ours.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #4148
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have sun, and wind. Halllujah!

And, I have clean, steamed carpet. It makes me happy.

This morning I saw a goldfinch hopping around in the dense yew directly in front of the front door, which made me smile as that was a first....maybe there is going to be a nest in there.

Spring has sprung.

Maggie
Old 05-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #4149
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We've had a very busy day, but nothing too exciting going on.

Little house is put back together, but that is literally all I have accomplished at home today.

I am loving my new car, and Lily is riding with me to do whatever so often that she looks pitiful when I go and leave her at home.

Busy with my own things, and did some emergency child care along with a bit of case management for the family of the elderly man I have mentioned.

Their lives have been absolutely turned upside down, but they are meeting with an attorney today who specializes in elder care issues....where they will receive expert advice from a source not invested in any way, unlike the nursing home.

Life.

Maggie
Old 05-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #4150
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie!!how's the water situation back there???it's hard to tell from the weather station maps... we have sunshine today!!!.. it says 71 here right now... hard to believe... however, I'm going back outside and to continue beating up the yard... hugs and love from out here on the finally sunny Oregon coast!!!
Old 05-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #4151
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gail,

There has been no more rain, tho could be a bit tonight and tomorrow morning.

Here in town, we are fine, tho some basements may still be struggling.

Driving around out of town today, I saw a lot of fields plowed and none flooded, but I know near the big rivers they will have flooded fields.

So....the worst was not here, but I have still not had to water my new plantings in many days.

Maggie
Old 05-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #4152
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
There's a fire burning tens of thousands of acres on the fl ga border just north of here. Send rain, please.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #4153
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I know that....I will wish rain to Florida.

A gully-washer.

Maggie
Old 05-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #4154
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A friend sent these dishtowels to me.

Yes, it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4592.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	284710  
Old 05-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #4155
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
I love it!

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #4156
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Jane, are you enjoying that tax season is over?

Maggie
Old 05-05-2017, 04:52 AM   #4157
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Hi Maggie!
crunch time is over & that is nice. Now trying to pack the house & get it sold! Who knew we had so junk? Having the floors refinished so we will stay in the AS for a week with 4 cats & 2 dogs in the driveway. Not exactly paradise but should be interesting. [emoji79]
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:57 AM   #4158
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yikes, that does sound challenging, but hope you have good weather.

I cannot imagine packing to move at this point in my life, and do not envy you that one bit...but what a labor of love for you, given the home you have found.

Enjoy.

Maggie
Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #4159
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tho I love my woodstove, one of its challenges is that it is a rather dirty way to heat....not filthy, but certainly dirtier than would be with a traditional furnace and filter.

Part of the price I pay for having it, and things I like to look at hanging near it , is that they must be thoroughly cleaned at least once a year....it should happen more often, and occasionally in between a dust rag hits them, but generally it's just an annual thing.

By the end of a year, as much as I use the woodstove, they really need it.

You may not be able to tell, but all the things you see here have been removed this morning, washed, the wall washed , and them then returned to their proper place.

Carefully on a step stool this morning, I'm thinking it one day will be time to have one of the grands do this for me....my son's middle child (12) is one of those who does everything in high gear, accomplishing twice or three times what the others do when the three of them are set together to a task.

This child loves to ride his bike, climb those climbing walls all the way to the top, to run (tried out for track this spring) as well as mow the yard and run the vacuum cleaner.

He's physical. Him I will ask to help me with such things when I can no longer do them.

I need to apply a coat of paint to the woodstove yet, then this part of the house is done.

The sun is shining, temps are moderate, we have a good breeze, and that will be the holding pattern for several days, so I hope to get the dozen bags of cedar mulch stacked on my front porch down over the weekend.

It was on sale, so I got it in the rain last week, then hauled them all from the car and stacked them there all by myself.

What a difference three years have made.

I vividly remember that first spring, when I got it all done but sorely lacked any real enthusiasm. Things just had to be taken care of, and there was suddenly only me to do them.

Disaster strikes, you get up, and you keep on going....and eventually you can do (most) things without tears in your eyes.

Life.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4596.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	284795  
Old 05-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #4160
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie!! I love getting glimpses into you cute little home... hugs and love from out here... and it's sunny right now!!!wowowow!!!