Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
4 Season Trailers

Never thought I would say this and I am hiding my head in shame but, I am looking for information and recommendations for large 4 season trailers. I know about Arctic Fox but am not familiar with other makes and models. Something my wife and I can live in year round for extended periods, Thanks.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Nothing to be ashamed of. Each trailer has it's pros and cons. I've struggled with what makes the right compromise and failed to find an adequate solution. I'm not happy with my Airstream and not happy without an Airstream. I've had an Excel, a New Horizons, three Northwoods and three Airstreams. After suffering through the limitations of my last Airstream I sold it, much to my significant other's delight, and bought an Arctic Fox. But... I couldn't shake my fondness for an Airstream and eventually stumbled into the right one at the right time an bought my third. For many reason, money not being the least, I don't need two RVs so I had it in mind to hustle on home with my new toy and sell the old toy. But I was loath to get rid of an RV that did what the AF did for me, knowing if I sold it I'd never buy another. Buying and selling RVs is a habit I'm determined to quit. Before I was able to act on my sensible approach to the situation I came to my not so sensible conclusion, keep them both. After all, what am I all about? I love to travel. Each excels in it's own way.

I don't really know what else, brand wise, to recommend to you. I know Northwood and they are by no means perfect, but they work for me. Jayco seems to make a pretty decent rig. When I see people shopping and asking questions on the AF group I always want to ask them what else they are considering to see the comps but haven't ever actually done that. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
5 th wheel maybe?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
South Lyon , Michigan
Take a look at the Grand Design trailers. The Imagine line are rated as 4 season trailers. I just sold mine earlier this year for my Airstream, mainly because I wanted to go smaller and I just love the look of the Airstreams! The Grand Designs are one of the better built SOBs in my opinion.
Rdavenp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
We trailered with a couple with a, maybe an earlier 2000's, Arctic Fox 25 foot and it looked like something old people would live in full time and MOVE with the Seasons.

Stick with that vintage 25 footer. It goes where an Arctic Fox may have problems.

Oliver is the only other upcoming brand that caught my interest. The sizes fit our requirements for off the grid travel and adventure. No Oliver owner wanted to go camping with us so we could crawl around and look one another over. That is too bad as now we use a 25 year old tent to compare.

One severe disadvantage of the Arctic Fox. When playing cards at the table, the mirror on the wall would show US their hands. We did good that day... pinochle.

Photo was taken July 12, 2008 at Double Cabin, Wyoming.

The Shiny One is the Airstream. I understand that they are hard to tell apart. The Airstream has an excellent resale potential. I do not know about Arctic Fox.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0228.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	346159   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0229.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	346160  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0056.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	346161  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Did some shopping aound today I think a 5th wheel would suit our needs better than a bumper pull. Looked at used Excels, Arctic Fox and Bighorn. The Excels and Artic Foxes appear to have a little better insulation.

Ray,
I think the Olivers will be too small for full timing. Yes I am planning on keeping the
Tradewind. I will remember the mirror thing if I ever play cards with you.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
Take a look at Outdoors RV, Titanium Series. Built in Oregon. This was the only unit we were considering besides Airstream. Dealer only 8 miles from my house. Airstream dealer 6 miles, so we spent alot of time on both lots. They have a pretty good website with informative videos. 4 seasons is their claim to fame.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Bigfoot trailers are also 4 season. Available with double pane windows and well insulated fiberglass construction like the Oliver's but much bigger.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/r...vantage-32fls/
Old 07-12-2019, 05:37 AM   #10
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I always liked the quality of DRV Suites http://www.drvsuites.com/- look at their models and Arctic packages. Great deals on used trailers can be found in Tennessee at RVs For Less https://rvsforless.net/
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Last post seemed to be only 5th wheels, but out of curiosity I have been looking at the suggestions. I am struck by looking at Arctic Fox prices. For a similar size Airstream, Arctic Fox is less than half the price! I thought I read that some consider Arctic Fox, although having some of the same RV problems, a quality RV. Nothing that is real justifies more than twice the price. I guess we got sucked in to the lure of an icon. Well, the friendships we have made are priceless....
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
some consider Arctic Fox, although having some of the same RV problems, a quality RV.

Considering the price, Arctic Fox is a pretty decently built product. Not perfect by any means, and some worse than others, but good strong, well insulated units. Like I said previously, I've had an Excel, a New Horizons, Northwoods and Airstreams. I've done extensive repairs and modifications to all excepting the Excel. All of them have problems and issues with sloppy manufacturing. Nothing wrong with paying for sizzle if that blows your skirt up.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Is there a price book out there that accurately reflects the price of used SOBs. I know for vintage NADA values are way low. There is also Kelley. What about for newer units?
Old 07-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Is there a price book out there that accurately reflects the price of used SOBs. I know for vintage NADA values are way low. There is also Kelley. What about for newer units?
Hi

Nope.

The gotcha is that trailers just aren't tracked as well as cars and trucks. Even if you get into cars and trucks, the books are not as reliable once you get past the 10 year mark. The car collectors around here gripe at least as much about it as the AS folks.

=====

4 Season can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. Faribanks Alaska in late January is likely (but not always) a bit different than Atlanta Georgia. If you are into snow sports, then cold and winter go together. If not, your travel patterns may not be quite as cold intensive.

Regardless of how well insulated, there is only so much you can do with a towable "home". A normal northern house is way better insulated than the "best of the best" RV. You will spend a bit on heating a house in winter in these climates. The RV will also be expensive. Again, a reason to avoid the snow unless it is an attraction.

Snow in most states means salt on the roads. Salt spray up under your RV (any RV) is not a great thing. Rust and corrosion happen no matter what. Salt just speeds up the process. Running your big rig through a truck wash on a regular basis is a bit of a pain. Snow on roads also means fun driving - do you *really* want to be towing then? I know I don't.

None of that is to suggest a 4 season trailer is a bad idea at all. It's only to say that you probably will still be moving a bit with the seasons. If that fits your plans, great.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Is there a price book out there that accurately reflects the price of used SOBs.

My experience has been for anything other than Airstreams NADA is a pretty good guide. I go with low retail with no add ons. Low NADA for an RV in good condition is usually a pretty safe range. Granted you can't alway find what you are looking for quickly in that range but with patience they do pop up. I paid more than high retail for my current AF but it was what I was wanting relatively close to home which doesn't happen often with an AF on the east coast. I am loath to travel far anymore as, intentionally or not, condition reports are quite often way off the mark and that includes Airstreams. My first two RVs, the Excel and the New Horizons, both fifth wheels, were 1,200+ miles from home. Now I won't go much over 100 miles to look at a potential for various reasons.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:40 AM   #16

Cranbury , New Jersey
I have looked at the new Intec Terra Oasis, the NuCamp AVIA, Lance 2750(?) and a not yet seen Boreal from northern lite (due out this summer). All seem to be in the 50K-70K price range, but I have not pulled a trigger so I do not really know. When all said and done, it will cost the same as used 25-28ft airstream...
Buctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:54 AM   #17
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
If you like the quality of a FG trailer like Oliver take a look at Bigfoot's 25 footer available in 2 different floor plans. We had it narrowed down to Bigfoot or Outdoors RV before we totally changed course and bought a MH. Outdoors RV is good quality too with a substantial frame which can survive off roading.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:17 PM   #18
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Bigfoot trailers are also 4 season. Available with double pane windows and well insulated fiberglass construction like the Oliver's but much bigger.
We had a couple stop here in Arizona and let us tour their 25 foot Bigfoot. It was over 100 degrees and parked in the sun, the little 13.5 BTU AC kept it cool as a cucumber inside.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Did you end up getting a 4 Season Trailer?

Thanks.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
We had a couple stop here in Arizona and let us tour their 25 foot Bigfoot. It was over 100 degrees and parked in the sun, the little 13.5 BTU AC kept it cool as a cucumber inside.
Interesting: https://www.bigfootrv.com/bigfoot_rv...00_series.html
Floor plans: https://www.bigfootrv.com/bigfoot_rv...ml#floor_plans

Did they once make a shorter trailer? There is a photo of one.

I guess the "175" inside some of the model numbers refers to a unit ~17.5' ?

https://www.bigfootrv.com/images/250...01_25B175G.jpg

Thanks,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote