Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Morristown , Indiana
1975 Land Yacht

Tidings, Just a week ago I pulled my 1975 31 foot, center twin bed, rear bath Land Yacht home. It had been sitting partially under a Pine tree for 10 years unused. It appears I am the 4th owner. I bought it "as is where is", I think reasonable ($2,500). It appears to have been well taken care of. First thing I had to replace all the dry rotted tires. While jacked up a party spun the wheels and my electric brakes seemed to work. It pulled home fine and dandy (20 miles). First thing I had to get all that old black sap and and a zillion pne needles off the top, and give it a good washing in general. It is starting to look better already. As I proceed to check out some of the amenities I am a little bit afraid. I am a rookie and have only owned a tent, about 20 years ago. Most likely I will have a lot of questions for the forum. Well here I go....Randy Wilson (green bean rookie rv-er).
Randy Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:50 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Wilson
Tidings, Just a week ago I pulled my 1975 31 foot, center twin bed, rear bath Land Yacht home. It had been sitting partially under a Pine tree for 10 years unused. It appears I am the 4th owner. I bought it "as is where is", I think reasonable ($2,500). It appears to have been well taken care of. First thing I had to replace all the dry rotted tires. While jacked up a party spun the wheels and my electric brakes seemed to work. It pulled home fine and dandy (20 miles). First thing I had to get all that old black sap and and a zillion pne needles off the top, and give it a good washing in general. It is starting to look better already. As I proceed to check out some of the amenities I am a little bit afraid. I am a rookie and have only owned a tent, about 20 years ago. Most likely I will have a lot of questions for the forum. Well here I go....Randy Wilson (green bean rookie rv-er).
Randy Welcome to the Fun House of Vintage Airstream Ownership

You have the same model I do...mine is pretty well torn down so if you have any specfic questions ask away. I also have the 75 Service Manual and would be glad to scan anything you need from it. If I were you my first priorities would be to reseal anything along the roof, plumbing vents, roof vents, awning rails, lights and then move on to the windows. That way you will have most of the potential leak sources eliminated prior to starting any major work. BTW that was an excellent price...Post any pictures yet? You KNOW how we love pictures around here. I am convinced that only "visual" people buy Airstreams

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Check Out the Floor

Welcome,

I suggest checking out the floor. Do a tip toe pressure test, looking for rot.
Look for water, water stains and dampness on the floor.
On mine the belly skin overlapped the upper skin underneath the trim. The water took out the floor and frame.
My wife and kids say I am obsessed. I prefer enthusiast.
Enjoy the Forum, good enthusiasts here.

FR
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:35 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Randy Welcome to the Fun House of Vintage Airstream Ownership
Make that poor house. Welcome to the world of streaming.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:50 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you have problems getting the pine sap off, you can use mineral spirits to loosen it up, and a plastic razor blade (available from auto paint supply stores) to scrape the globs off.
Like Aaron, I also have a couple of service manuals, and have crawled around in the belly of the beast for a while, so you should be able to get answers to most of your questions here.
And welcome to the forums, and the world of Airstream ownership.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Welcome to the fun! Check out my page for what we did to our units! Good luck

http://www.balrgn.com/Airstream.htm
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281