Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2004, 05:48 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
1965 Carosel on ebay

Oh, this poor sad little trailer! They don't even know it's a Caravel And that interior - ugh! The thing I don't understand is why anyone has bid it up to $2500 already!

1965 Airstream Carosel

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Might have something to do with the starting bid of $2100?!? That's just down the road from me. Wonder why the thing is titled in Alaska??? I hope it finds a good home and someone who appreciates it.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 06:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Check out the low pofile tires and aluminum wheels. This will go for more. Won't you just love to know it's history and where it's been?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 07:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Itis in our "backyard." Would appreciate input from anyone-especially other small Caravel owners. Even would appreciate suggestion on fair price, per PM. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 11:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Two Bidders, watch out...

Looking at Bid History, there are only two people bidding, and one (Looker..) seems to be bidding against themselves, running price up from $2100 to 2500 before second bidder arrived...

We've had several interesting experiences on E-Bay where friends of seller log in and start offering bids to boost prices, hoping to jump out at last minute.. Also a number of cases where buyers are just messing with Sellers, without any actual intent to complete purchase transaction...

That looks like a shell and chassis with do-it-yourself interior rebuild opportunity, and I'm not sure price much higher than $2K is worth it..

I'd consider capturing e-mail address of seller, or visiting, and and then waiting til "Auction" ends on E-Bay, and making real cash offer for less than published close. If auction was rigged, or buyer a Flake, you may be able to purchase before seller either gives up on E-Bay or decides to start cycle over again...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 12:32 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Does it have windows?

The windows look a little too clean...if you know what I mean, there are no reflections on any of them, except the rear Also no clear picture of the 12" dent they mentioned. I would defintely not be putting out money without looking at it in person first, JMHO Not that is couldn't be a sweet little unit with some Loving Care and $$$

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 12:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
It's forty minutes from us, if anyone wants a serious look, let me know.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Don't Want No Stinking Dents (in the end cap)

Starting at the running light just forward of front window upper edge -- the reflection suggests something of the dent -- it sure isn't at the low end of his 12-15" estimate. But hey, an estimate might allow it to be just a wee bit bigger than that, right?

Did this model originally have those irreplaceable curved side windows. Sure looks like flat frames in there now. Might have been stripped and sold to finance the eBay commission and the gas to get back from Alaska...

Any bets on the floors?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:38 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Starting at the running light just forward of front window upper edge -- the reflection suggests something of the dent -- it sure isn't at the low end of his 12-15" estimate. But hey, an estimate might allow it to be just a wee bit bigger than that, right?

Did this model originally have those irreplaceable curved side windows. Sure looks like flat frames in there now. Might have been stripped and sold to finance the eBay commission and the gas to get back from Alaska...

Any bets on the floors?

Nope not the Corning Windows if it is a 65. I am basing my assumption on this picture that I took of a 68 Ambassador Where the side windows are very visible

Went back and checked Shari's matrix, 65 had the flat windows, but I still think you should be able to see them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 04:33 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That year has the flat windows. Don't miss the fact that the water heater hole appears to be riveted over with a flat patch. So where's the water heater located now? Love those hot rod wheels too - I think I had a set of those on my first mustang It's sitting so low on them, I can't guess at the condition of the axle. No propane tanks, so don't be expecting to test any of those things that the seller claims work fine.

I can't tell if it's just the picture, but the interior divider wall on the right side looks wrong, like it's made out of cedar planks or something, not at all like the wall on the left side. Also, it looks very dirty, or mold/mildew inside. Which might be why the cushions are gone. Not sure I buy the sellers claim that it doesn't leak. In my experience they all leak somewhere, and one that looks as neglected as that one certainly must have seam leaks somewhere!

I certainly wouldn't be bidding on it without looking at it in person. I don't think I would have even bid that starting price. Looks like a $1500 trailer to me, with a lot of work needed inside and out.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags