Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Workhorse Chassis, What Big Companies Do

Reading the news, things are about to change.Navistar Announces North America Restructuring to Drive Greater Manufacturing Flexibility | Business Wire

Workhorse is shutting down the Union City US factory. 250 jobs (MEXICO?)
Monaco is moving all Class A production from Oregon to Indiana with loss of 450 jobs.
All heavy truck production in Canada moved to Mexico.

What the world needs is some type of cap on company size. We need competition for innovation, and jobs. These big companies are just exporting jobs.
Your comments are welcome.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
"The Chatham facility has been idled and employees have been on layoff status for the past two years due to the company’s inability to reach a collective bargaining agreement with the Canadian Auto Workers."

In a global economy, if workers and management can't agree, management usually has other options. The workers may or may not have other options.

But the consuming public always has options: it almost always demands a lower price. And that lower price today often comes from a producer in _______ (fill in blank with Indonesia, China, India, etc. which has lower labor costs, less restrictive environmental laws, etc.). I'm not sure company size has a thing to do with it.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
If the companies can't compete and survive in the local work climates, they have two choices, bankruptcy or move their operations. Fact of life.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Remember, companies must always operate so as to return maximum value to share holders; they are subject to shareholder lawsuits otherwise.
If an individual always behaves just within the letter of the law to optimize his own profits, we call them sociopathic....

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Remember, companies must always operate so as to return maximum value to share holders; they are subject to shareholder lawsuits otherwise.
If an individual always behaves just within the letter of the law to optimize his own profits, we call them sociopathic....

- Bart
To be fair, only the highest-functioning sociopaths trouble themselves with staying just within the letter of the law. It just never occurs to the other sociopaths that they'll get caught, they think laws are to restrict other people (or they use the fact that laws do restrict most people as a predictor of behavior.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
"the term used for a personality disorder characterized by an abnormal lack of empathy combined with strongly amoral conduct but masked by an ability to appear outwardly normal. "

I guess this is what you might call "sociopath"
But chances are, that individual "sociopath" will still be in the community and trying to operate his business, not moving his operation off shore.

Maybe, it is these same people that are running the big companies?

What I see, is large companies destroying the industrial capacity of the US and Canada by moving production to low cost sites off shore.
My question would be:::::: who is going to be able to buy the products if we have no ability to earn a living????
Are we all going to become "shareholders" and get a cheque for nothing?
Starts to sound like the middle east with their oil wealth. But no cheque has arrived in my mail box.
In fact, my tax dollars went to IH to train employees at their plant in Canada for new techniques/technology in production.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post

- Bart
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote