Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
Winnebago

i know this is not exactly the right place to be asking a question about a winne but i know that the people in the forum know everything and will give me an honest opinion. i am thinking about ebay item number
it is just over 2k mile from my house what is your opinion on the price and is this beast going to leave me on the road with a 10k bill for repairs.

thanks everyone.
FireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Well, it does have a 5000 kwh generator. You could rent it out as a power plant for a small town.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

The fact that you ask the question gives the answer - if you do not really understand this kind of thing then you can get into more trouble than you can ever believe.

68,000 miles can be a lot on a big block gas engine (which will get, if in good tune, 5-6 mpg by the way). Same for the transmission. If not abused and well maintained both could last tens of thousands of miles more, but you really have no way of knowing. Was the chassis of that model up to the load and length? It may (probably, in fact) need six new $200 tires. And on, and on and on.

Also be aware that the used market for gas engine non-slide motorhomes has just about dissappeared. I note that with one hour to go, there are no bids.

Mark
Old 05-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Not much information given, really.
the biggest problem with a Winnie is in an accident.... ever sen one after? As my husband says, the accident site looks like a Home Depot has blown up!

Elizabeth in Iowa