Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2003, 05:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Why Saturn?

Why is it that a lot of the motorhomes are towing Saturns? Are they better than other vehicles as toads or what? I've got a couple of questions and will have for a bit, because my wife's cousin just bought a 35' SOB MH and is going to be fulltiming indefinately. We've got till October to get him up and running and educated. I figure I'll get a chance to do bit of learning myself. I hope to hear from all of you teachers out there. Thanks.
sjptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 06:34 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I tow one as a toad, and there are a few reasons for the popularity.

One is the 4 door SL2 weighs in at less 2500 LBS. The other one is that the SL and SC models can be towed 4 down with an automatic without modofication or damage to the drivetrain.

The newer Ion is not set up like this but the LS series is. It weighs more, but most motorhomes have the available GCVWR to handle it.

Anything that you look at can be towed 4 down, but manyt need some type of modification. Trailer life has a list of new models that can be towed 4 down and will not void the warranty.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the plastic body panels are a bonus too for towing,etc as they don't dent, are cheap to fix or replace .
The Saturn also has a "notch" on the ignition key switch where you can leave the wheel unlocked and not have the ignition on at all.
Lastly they are cheap and quite safe...the cage construction is similiar to Volvo or Mercedes and the cars are quite solid for a smaller lighter car.
I was a Saturn shipmanager in the early 90's and have been to the plant in Spring Hill a couple of times for training and tours.
I tow a 95 SL2 .. it is easy to pull and still comfortable for 4 passengers.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:57 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i can't speak to why people tow them,

what i can say is that saturn builds a good car. my daughter is on her second one.

she hasn't managed to destroy either, unlike the two cars she had prior to the saturns.

"what do you mean i have to check the oil, dad??" or "it's been making that noise for weeks!! is that bad??"

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 01:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

OK, Sold on the Saturn!!!!

What everyone says makes great sense to me. Now, I would imagine that lights(tail, turn and cyclops) all have to be hooked up. Is the cyclops necessary? Could I fabricate a bracket or two to fit the trunk so he could just "hang" a set of trailer lights on the back? Does the license plate have to be illuminated at night?

I appreciate all your help.
sjptak is offline   Reply With Quote