Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Waco , Texas
I had the $70K in change in my pocket but just couldn't find a new 68 Safari Twin. And I'm too proud to pay anyone (or admit) I'd pay good money for someone else to play with her. It is hard for me to confess that I can't fix something so I just go to this or some other forum and study it until I figure it out. This project is going to take a long time, but that's how it is with good relationships. And if I fail, well, I guess I can live with a little imperfection...I mean, after tearing this Airstream apart, I've found that she had a few birth defects to begin with.
Skywriter
Skywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Just curious as to how many on these forums actually do their own wrenching and what systems they've worked on?............
Our motorhome is a very busy hobby. So far, I have done electrical work (added several light fixtures), cabinet work (added shelving in the wardrobe, added shelf next to bathroom cabinet, enlarged several drawers, changed hinges on DVD cabinet so that it opens upwards), completely re-upholstered entire coach, the list goes on and on.

I let someone else do the oil changes, etc. Don't have the equipment or facility to do that.

I also re sealed all the seams on the roof and re seated the front marker lights when we first picked it up five years ago.

It's a lot of work, but something I enjoy very much.

I am contemplating changing out my airbags after reading the blow by blow account from cesalie.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Those that know me and my thread will confirm that I will try to do anything and everything....

Rightly or wrongly, I was bought up and learned that "If a job is worth doing... Do it yourself!"
Whilst I am new to motorhomes, the last 2 years getting our 1984 345 up to spec has been a steep learning curve!

Having said that, there is nothing in it I have not done before, from engine and trans rebuilds to sheet metalwork and fiberglass.. Want to learn some basic trimming skills too... first on the list is to recover my worn steering wheel... $350 for a pro to do it... really???

My weakest skill is electrics... but I am learning..
Those of you that have older motorhomes, I suggest you buy 2 pieces of equipment, that I did... they will pay for themselves very quickly!
A Powerprobe 3 circuit tester..
It has about a 30' cord, and is awesome for the M/H.
PP319FTC Power Probe III ....?Powers up Components!?

And the ECT2000 short circuit tester, wire tracer..
ECT2000 Electronic Circuit Tester

If you shop well you would expect to pay about $100 each for them..
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
I do pretty much everything myself. The last couple of items I had done by a "so called RV mechanic" were total screwed up messes! This stuff is all really straight forward if you do some homework first. I have installed a new water heater, fixed the fridge, fixed both roof air units, re-plumbed the coach with PEX, installed new shocks, installed new chassis brakes, installed new tag brakes, engine water pump, coach water pump, repaired hose and electric reels, installed new furnaces, etc, etc.
You can do it!
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote