Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
What's the noise level in MH on the road?

One of the things about towing a trailer is that I can't hear stuff rattling and banging as we go down the road. I was wondering what the noise was like in a motorhome as you are travelling. Do you put dampers on things like the stovetop? How about dishes and pans, etc? Does the noise make you wish you had gotten a trailer instead?

Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
NOISY!

Big time difference in our MH and the trailers.

Does a tree make noise if you are not in the forest?

Yes we have dampers on Stove, and everything else that can possibly rattle, doors have to be secured, and plenty of road noise too.

I am hoping that when I move up to a $100,000.00 unit, I will not have all of these noises.

The first trip we made in the MH, My wife said, "I never heard all of that stuff moving around" Hello.............

You can believe that the noise is going on in a trailer, it does not take long to realize, you have to secure everything in a trailer before transit.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Other than the screen door I don't have many rattles.

I do have a protective non slip material between all the plates, and pans, and bowls.

I also will hear loose stuff rattle in the refer if I let it get too empty.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i put something between the plates, pots and pans and still had some noise. i installed centrimatic wheel balancers on all wheels and now about all of the shake rattle and roll has stopped. but when you get on I-40 in Arkansas and other poorly maintained roads it starts again shake rattle and roll. slowing down helps the rattle but you might get run over by a large truck if going too slow. take your pick noise or a trip to never never land and if lucky the hospital. so grin and bear it. petal to the metal of fiber glass.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
We don't have many rattles in ours. The stove gets a foam slab under the cover before we hit the hiway. The dishes may shake a bit, but I put those rubber mats under them, anti skid, and that quiets them. I do get some noise going over larger bumps at slow speed around town, on the highway its only the engine/road sounds.
There is some engine/road noise...It has gotten better since i reinsulated the doghouse, but i want to insulate under the whole front passenger and driver areas, and just have not yet done so. I also believe when i redo the flooring it may quiet it even more.
What is anyone's experience in SOB? Not 100k diesel pusher, but a comparable non aluminum unit like HR or Winnebago Chief or GMC's of the 70's?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Noise Level in an '87

I guess I'm pretty lucky, no real noise in my unit.

Of course, things go bang in the night when bumps or bad roads are encountered, but general backround noise is minimal.

Certainly, a normal conversation can be carried on at almost any speed.

The engine area contributes the most noise. A significant increase in dog house noise occurs at aabout 63 to 65 mph. Also, you can certainly tell when the belt driven fan kicks in, but the noise is not deafening.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

We have a few squeaks and rattles but nothing major. The biggest noise we get is from inside the dog house, especially when the engine downshifts going up a hill.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:46 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

You all wanna talk about noise,
try having a fan clutch lock in because the bearing seized at 65 MPH.
Wow!! I didn't know what happened but I got to the side of the road turned it off, changed my shorts then started it up and found the noise.
The fan was wobbling so bad I don't know why it did not have radiator soup for lunch!!
I just unbolted it and drove on home using the elect fan.
don't wanna hear that noise again.
ol'George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 04:25 PM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Ours was VERY noisey when we first drove it. But we've fixed/corrected a number of things in the suspension, air bags, etc. so now its down to the point of normal conversation noise levels in ours.

We don't do anything special except stick some foam on the stovetop. Our screen door rattles and thats it. But I think with some weatherstriping and some fixes I'll get the rattles out of this as well. We do have extra insulation in the doghouse I I've neve felt like the engine contributes to the noise too much. More wind noise than anything.

If you've ever driven a highline diesel pusher you'll know what a very quiet ride they give. A gas puller will never match that quality but AS's come pretty close. Not nearly the rattles and body squeaks in other "white box" class A's.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote