Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Christmas Valley , Oregon
We Are NOT Alone

After 2 years of full-timing and 16,000 miles driven we have finally seen another Airstream motorhome! At a closing speed of 120 mph, on Hwy 395 between Wagontire and Riley Jct. Oregon, about 2:30 PST...they were Southbound, we were Northbound ( which makes them smarter than us!) we had a very brief encounter. They were both waving, smiling , and I'm sure they said the same thing we did..." Is that an Airstream?...( seconds later...) "THAT WAS AN AIRSTREAM !!" We had no idea when we bought this MH so many people would come up and say.."I didn't know Airstream made motorhomes". Makes us strive to keep her beautiful and shiney.
On our way to Mountain Home, Idaho for winter maintenance and interior remodel. Phil has a couple dozen things he wants to do mechanical. ( more power...more power....it's a guy thing!) Happy 'Streamin'. Hope to see you on the road. Diesel Phil and wife, Sam ( Sandra )
Diesel Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Awesome! I'll bet that was a wonderful moment. We had the same sort of feeling on our way from Arkansas to Pennsylvania this summer when we spotted another moho off the side of the highway. Excitement and pure glee! It's really neat to see another one. We stopped on the way back from PA (we were on a time crunch on the way up) to try to find the owners, and sadly, no one was home, and no one responded to the Forums note we left in their door with our email address in it.

I hope your winter work goes well and you enjoy many more happy miles in your beautiful moho! What do you plan to do to the interior?

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Diesel Phil and Sam,

I will have to tell you, Susan and Brad’s motorhome is sweet. Gave me the hankerin even though I’m a die hard trailer guy.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Aw, gee, feed a guy gingerbread pancakes and he'll say anything!

Our moho needs work, but it is definitely useable!

Susan

Old 11-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube

Susan
Which is more than I can say about the ’67 in my avatar image. And, I seem to remember it was overfeed on gingerbread pancakes.

Delicious!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Welcome Phil and Sam! That is a very nice looking MH. More Power! LJH
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I am so happy that someone actually read and replied to our little message. Funny the replies come from Arkansas, too, since that is where we purchased our "Lady" ! Thrilled, was the word of the day. We bought her in Searcy and were treated wonderfully by Gene Morris and the whole crew at Airstream of Arkansas. Last year Phil got his...MORE POWER ....all kinds of new tires and shocks and a fuel plate for more power and a pac-brake to slow us down . GUY-STUFF...this year it's MY turn! I am going to lay new hardwood floors, have new carpets installed, new drapes,bedspread, paint , and ALL NEW LEATHER FURNITURE!!!!!! I am excited about it. We are on our way to Mt. Home, Idaho to take care of our daughter and her husbands' babies while they are deployed to the sandlot again.. Raising babies is a young persons job, but it;s not a choice here. They are being deployed to the same place at the same time, so we get to watch the girls ages 2 years and 8 months. Yeah- WOW. And fix up the coach! Happy 'Streaming! Wave when you go by! Diesel Phil and Sam
Old 11-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube

Susan
Maybe you could post that recipe ??? please?????????
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi DiesalPhilandSam,
If they are like our grandbabies - you won't be getting much done to the motorhome! You are so correct in saying raising kids is a young persons job (and we're only in our mid 50's)! But what a great way to spend the winter. Enjoy!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Phil
I am so happy that someone actually read and replied to our little message. Funny the replies come from Arkansas, too, since that is where we purchased our "Lady" ! Thrilled, was the word of the day. We bought her in Searcy and were treated wonderfully by Gene Morris and the whole crew at Airstream of Arkansas. Last year Phil got his...MORE POWER ....all kinds of new tires and shocks and a fuel plate for more power and a pac-brake to slow us down . GUY-STUFF...this year it's MY turn! I am going to lay new hardwood floors, have new carpets installed, new drapes,bedspread, paint , and ALL NEW LEATHER FURNITURE!!!!!! I am excited about it. We are on our way to Mt. Home, Idaho to take care of our daughter and her husbands' babies while they are deployed to the sandlot again.. Raising babies is a young persons job, but it;s not a choice here. They are being deployed to the same place at the same time, so we get to watch the girls ages 2 years and 8 months. Yeah- WOW. And fix up the coach! Happy 'Streaming! Wave when you go by! Diesel Phil and Sam
Sam,

At the recent Airstream Rally in Branson Susan and I were talking to Mike (the owner of Airstream of Arkansas) and he told us about a diesel motorhome that they had received in trade, used for a year or so and then sold to someone. My guess is the motorhome you bought was the one Mike was telling us about. Small world!

It sounds like you got a gem of a motorhome. I'd love to see pictures of it sometime.

Brad
(married to Alumatube )
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerboy
Maybe you could post that recipe ??? please?????????
Aw, I'm sorry, RollerBoy, but it is a mix that comes from a restaurant in Austin, TX that I just have to buy bunches of when I am there.

WOO HOO!!! I just searched and they finally have an on-line store!! So if you want to order some you can find them here.

Their pumpkin pancakes are good too. If you ever get to Austin you should eat there for breakfast - their menu is amazing and they always have specialty pancakes (last time we were there one of them was cherry, yum!).

Have a great day!

Susan

Old 11-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Awesome about your interior redo, Sam! It sounds wonderful. We will be doing leather for ours too, but in a bunkhouse style. Here is the link to what I want to do, if you haven't seen it already: Rockin' A Redesign. The custom plate I ordered, "Rockin A," is ready to pick up at the DMV!

Have a great time with your grandbabies! Please tell your daughter and son-in-law thank you so much for their service!

Susan

Old 11-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Re-model

Hey Susan! We really like your Western theme, but Phil says he is leaning more towards the "Nevada-Bordello-Style"! He is too good to me! Actually, I am feeling a little overwhelmed right now about color and applications. I had to leave my favorite drapes in storage, because this 'cruel and unusual' man I am married to says I should do it brand new - from scratch, since this is truly our HOME. He says we desrve to have it the way we want it....but now it is coming down to the wire .....what do I want!? He thinks picking colours and styles is like picking out BATTERIES! Here is my idea....see what you think?
Basically, the new colours of Airstream, since the outside stripes are ...Drapes...Gray ( med)
Cockpit area floor...marroon carpet ( road noise cutdown )
Furniture, couch...(J-lounger) 2 Captain's chairs, and Phil's chair all in Dark Gray leather.
New flooring in the bathroom, with small tiles around the skirt if the shower ( silver-gray with maroon smears on them )
I will re-do the hardwood floors on the main floor in living area and kitchen,,and have the matching marroon carpet in the bedroom.
I think the drapes, front and back, have to match because they are so visible, and I agree with you, contrast! the dinette will be replaced with heavy black leather seating.
All new blinds...I don't know what, yet, but I saw some beautiful mini-blinds that will be less heavy than these Night/Day shades someone installed upside down in here.
Now, if I can do all this while keeping a 2 year-old, and an 8 month old happy, walk the dogs, and take care of my wonderful husband without losing my mind....YEAH! Happy 'streaming, Diesel Phil and Sam (wife!)
Old 11-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Wow, Sam, you ARE lucky, and the redesign sounds fantastic! I have always been a fan of grey and maroon/burgundy. Very pretty together. I would love to see pictures as you do it!

How will you be doing your leather seating? I think I will probably have a local upholsterer do ours. My sewing machine might be up for a lot, but seating-quality leather? Uh, nope.

That's funny about your upside-down shades!

Well, if you do happen to lose your mind and go in search of it, if you see mine, will you let me know? It's been gone for a while now.

Susan

Old 11-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

New Do!

Hey! Susan...thank you so much for your encouragement and kind words. It really was funny when at first, we said...Why? do people call them Day/night shades???? Seems like they should be the other way around....then I looked on the internet how to install them , and burst out laughing!!!!!!! Phil said I should save myself the trouble and leave tham like this until we RIP THEM OUT!
I will take the seats and backs of the dinette set to an upholsterer also. I don't want to risk real leather, and my lost mind...the pressure may be too much (lol).
The furniture and everything else is original to the coach...about 13 years old, so she should be beautiful when we complete the job. Phil is already talking about taking the babies to day-care every once in a while so we can totally immerse ourselves in this project! That way they can have a day with little people, and we can have one without! I will post photo's of before and after. Thanks for your support.
THANK YOU TO ALL THE VETS OUT THERE!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

Diesel Phil and Sam
Old 11-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
OK..two of my favorite Classic motorhome owners (Sam and Susan) both conversing about their lovely units just brings a tear to my eye!

I can't wait to see both of your units finished in all of their glory!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote