Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
Water Fill spout

Does anyone (Andy?) know if this water fill spout is available? It tells in the Service Manual how to replace it but does not give a part number. The lock and the area around the lock has been broken out. I'm in the process of buying a 28ft Argosy motorhome but this is one of the hangups in buying it. I would like the door to lock so unwanted substances can not be "accidentally" dropped in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3634.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	56040  
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
QuiteWater,

I don't know if the access covers are available or not. Even if they weren't I certainly wouldn't use that as a basis for not buying an Argosy motorhome. I would bet that it can be repaired by a good skilled repairman. You would probably have to search out someone in the antique auto repair business. There are some amazing craftsmen out there.

I would start with a copy of Hemming's motor news and see what's available in the services section.

Does anyone know if any specific year(s) of Airstream trailers used this same filler?

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
QuiteWater,

I don't know if the access covers are available or not. Even if they weren't I certainly wouldn't use that as a basis for not buying an Argosy motorhome. I would bet that it can be repaired by a good skilled repairman. You would probably have to search out someone in the antique auto repair business. There are some amazing craftsmen out there.

I would start with a copy of Hemming's motor news and see what's available in the services section.

Does anyone know if any specific year(s) of Airstream trailers used this same filler?

Good luck!

Brad
That is the water tank fill on my 1979 Safari. They show up on EBay from time to time.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I need to clarify the problem. It is not the metal door that is broke. It is the plastic (at least I think it is plastic) funnel that is behind it. The swivel lock that fits in the plastic is broken out and all the area around it. There is no way to fix it without replacing the whole funnel. It shows on page 4-4 of the '79 Airstream Motorhome Service Manual how to replace it but gives no part numbers. I have been trying to decide between buying this Argosy or a Barth. The Barth is more expensive and is quite a ways away but is probably a better deal, but I like the Argosy and it is local. The Argosy needs quite a bit of fixing up but not undoable. However, if I can't find this part, I don't want it. The door flops open without a lock and any number of things can fall in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3634.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	56079  
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Hypnotist

1982 28' Airstream 280
las vegas , Nevada
water door

Ok mine is broken too.. I talked to andy you can not get another door the part is not available. a replacement door is (in Plastic) however you will need to fabricate a larger hole for it..

I am going to attempt to piece mine together and fiberglass it
cross my fingers

Justin
jjhypnotist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Here's what I did: http://www.airforums.com/forums/527992-post486.html

The original plastic piece is no longer available, as near as I can tell. The lock you can buy in many places. Ask a legit locksmith to help you out. As far as replacing the plastic piece, you can cobble together a new one fairly easily, even if the pieces are all missing. Fiberglass is a wonderful thing.

Don't let this one thing make you pass up the 'Stream!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:38 AM   #7
Hypnotist

1982 28' Airstream 280
las vegas , Nevada
Water filler door

Ok as I said before because I am currently going down this route... You can buy a new door and filler assembly it will not be chrome.. however you can paint it whatever color you like...

The reality is getting an airstream is not only getting a piece of history it is getting a fantastic second home for you and your loved ones especially once it is tweaked to your satisfaction...
Unless you are getting a late model Barth you will not approach anywhere near the quality of an airstream.. And lets face facts 1998 was the last yr for Barth......

So the real question is is the unit you are looking at in good enough shape to warrent the upgrades and updates you will have to provide???

Justin
jjhypnotist is offline   Reply With Quote