Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #1

1979 31' Excella 500
peoria , 61614
vin number issues

So my aunt has a airstream international 1979 she thinks ,
however when i run the VIN number at the DMV or to get the title
The first letter shows an 1, according to the website and etc. the first one should be a letter not a number so instead of a 1 it should be i for international
I don't see the vin on the trailer or anywhere else.
Does anyone know why this is or how do i figure out how to get correct title number for trailer
any help would be apperiated
ak2518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Newer vehicles have VIN's in many places (for trailers, tongue, plate on side, etc.), but older ones may be a challenge. There should be a plate on the side of the trailer with that information plus lots of other things on it. Sometimes it has weathered so much it is hard to read. Look inside cabinets or wardrobes for anything attached to the inside of the doors. Whatever the title says would rule if nothing can be found on the trailer. The plate should be on the side, low down, so look for holes in the body where one was attached, or discoloration in a rectangle.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
A 79 would have the vin on the name plate next to the door. The 2nd and 3rd numbers in the vin is the length of the trailer. It should also be stamped in the frame near the propane bottles.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Before 1981, VIN's were not standardized at 17 numbers and letters. You are probably looking for a shorter combination with a system used by the manufacturer. If stamped into the tongue, it may be covered with multiple layers of paint and you may have to remove the paint. Look first on the driver's side of the tongue and then look elsewhere. As long as you have a title with a VIN and the trailer is not moved to another state, licensing is easy. But if the trailer goes to another state in a sale, it will have to have something on the trailer for a VIN inspection in that state. You may be able to apply for a new VIN in that case, but in some states it can be very difficult and expensive.

There are a number of websites that offer search for a specific VIN. I don't know if they are free or not. They may not have a VIN for a specific trailer. When we sold our trailer, the buyer checked out the VIN on one of these websites and couldn't find it. So, the website he used was not complete. Perhaps none of them are, but I don't know. You can search the VIN and see if it matches the trailer. Airstream may have VIN information too. I know you are looking for a VIN on the trailer, but confirming the trailer and title match is a good idea. Mistakes are made and the title, registration or a VIN on the trailer may not match. I had a car like that and it was so long ago I can't remember what I had to do, but I think it was fairly simple.

Hopefully you find the plate and a stamp VIN on the tongue, they are readable and they match the title.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #5

1979 31' Excella 500
peoria , 61614
So the issue is
The item is a number showing a 1 however according to dmv it should show a letter like a I for I international,
It is clearly a 1 and not a I , so what advice would you think I should try , I didn’t see a vin on or by the hitch anywhere I checked throughly but I may not be in the right spot still����*♂️
ak2518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:52 PM   #6

Los Angeles , CA
Vin number

Hello all! Recently purchased a roustabout 1979 and cannot find the vin number, I did find a number 21901 on 2 places, on the tongue and an aluminum sticker in front of the trailer which is fading and is torn. Inside on a cabinet door there's a registration and on it the identification number reads 901, I have a plate too. I went to get a vin verification but he said he couldn't find the vin. Is the vin only 5 numbers? Any help is really appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230927_111214.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	438103   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230927_111023.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	438104  

Gems323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 06:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gems323 View Post
Hello all! Recently purchased a roustabout 1979 and cannot find the vin number, I did find a number 21901 on 2 places, on the tongue and an aluminum sticker in front of the trailer which is fading and is torn. Inside on a cabinet door there's a registration and on it the identification number reads 901, I have a plate too. I went to get a vin verification but he said he couldn't find the vin. Is the vin only 5 numbers? Any help is really appreciated
This is an Airstream forum. I doubt you'll find any help on determining the VIN of a roustabout trailer here.
jeffb831 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:04 AM   #8
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
This is an Airstream forum. I doubt you'll find any help on determining the VIN of a roustabout trailer here.
And certainly not in the motorhome (ie an RV with an engine) section
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote