Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
TravelTrailer or MotorHome: Debate or just separate camps?

We have been cruising this site trying to learn as much as I can. We actually looked at travel trailers now and are STILL in the learning mode.

I was recently speaking to a friend who has a Class "A" motorhome and he related how he has migrated from pop-up to fifth-wheel to his present motorhome.
He laughed: "yeah, I started out just as you are. Don't want to drive a beast. Want a vehicle to drive when I get there. Lower cost."
"You'll come around" he said, but "welcome aboard, we are always looking for people to travel with."

My question is: What are pluses or minuses for motorhome versus travel trailer.
For example, having a driver when you get to destination. His response was: "well, you don't travel 80% of the time, so, when at home, you are stuck w/ a heavy-duty TV, e.g. a 3/4 ton truck." He preferred to tow a cheap vehicle behind his motorhome and keep a decent vehicle at home.

I'm sure it all comes down to different strokes for different folks, I would just like to hear what you all have to say?

Thanks
BillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We also go back and forth. What put us off on getting a small motorhome (vintage Airstream, of course) was mileage.

In the end, we decided that we already own pretty much the best combination for overall economy: Vintage Airstream TT (30' weighing in at 4,650) along with F150 long-bed with small V8 motor.

Lynn
Old 11-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWill View Post
We have been cruising this site trying to learn as much as I can. We actually looked at travel trailers now and are STILL in the learning mode.

I was recently speaking to a friend who has a Class "A" motorhome and he related how he has migrated from pop-up to fifth-wheel to his present motorhome.
He laughed: "yeah, I started out just as you are. Don't want to drive a beast. Want a vehicle to drive when I get there. Lower cost."
"You'll come around" he said, but "welcome aboard, we are always looking for people to travel with."

My question is: What are pluses or minuses for motorhome versus travel trailer.
For example, having a driver when you get to destination. His response was: "well, you don't travel 80% of the time, so, when at home, you are stuck w/ a heavy-duty TV, e.g. a 3/4 ton truck." He preferred to tow a cheap vehicle behind his motorhome and keep a decent vehicle at home.

I'm sure it all comes down to different strokes for different folks, I would just like to hear what you all have to say?

Thanks
Travel trailer owners, love travel trailers.

Motorhome owners love motorhomes.

The only person that can answer your question, is you.

As you said, different stokes for different folks.

It's near impossible to rent a large travel trailer, but you can rent a large motorhome.

Renting a motorhome, a size of your chosing, would allow you use it for a few days, which would help you come up with a better answer to your question.

The investment in either case is large, and to take a suggestion from others, could prove disappointing, since no one, but you, knows what will make you a "happy camper".

Keep in mind, unless you want to be on the constant "go", if you chose a motorhome, you should also tow a small car behind it.

When you have a travel trailer, you already have a means of transportation, without disturbing your RV.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
MoHo vs Trailer

Quote:
.... I would just like to hear what you all have to say?
Having refurbed both an "almost vintage" AS Classic MoHo and a '78 31' Sovereign (and made multiple thousand mile trips in each) I can truthfull say...each has it's own advantages.

No doubt about it - the MoHo is a maintenance hog. On the plus side, the Chevy P-3X chassis is relatively easy to work on, and parts are readily available - just know that, if you don't do the work yourself, you will be charged commercial truck mechanics rates when (not if) you bring it in for servicing. On the other hand, the MoHo as several distinct advantages - for me, as I get older, having a bathroom in the cabin is at the top of the list. When the urge "to go" hits me on the road, I simply pull over at any handy and safe wide spot in the road. Having all of the services built into one coach is also a plus - hot water from the engine, a self contained generator, a single, but larger and more complicated 12 volt system, extra capacities in the house batteries, larger potable, grey, and black water systems are among some other advantages. The MoHo is a joy to hook up once you get to the campground - slap the levelling system down, hook up the auto-coil electric and water lines, quick drop the sewer hose, and you are done.

The trailer, while MUCH easier to work on than the MoHo, also has other advantages. First and Foremost...SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) prefers housekeeping in the trailer as opposed to the MoHO - don't know why, since both are almost identical. Go figure. The MoHO sits a bit higher...

Both the MoHo and the trailer involve "towing" something....and the edge goes to the trailer in towing, since you CAN back up the trailer while backing up a four down car on the tail of the MoHo can be a trick. Entrance and egress from filling stations is about a wash - you have to be careful with either system - allow PLENTY of room with both for navigating around the fuel islands and other traffic.

Fuel economy goes to the trailer - about 10 mpg towing as opposed to 6 mpg on the 345.

"Cool Factor" the 345 definitely wins out - something about those aluminum classics that even the shined up Sovereign cannot match.

So...it's a matter of whichever floats your boat.

Remember - LOTS of heavy duty maintenance on the Motor Home, but much easier to dock and undock. The trailer, while easier to work on, seems to have more "small things" go wrong - possibly from the inherent rougher ride?

One thing for sure, look at comparable years of vintage or almost vintage AirStreams and SOB's, compare both the trailers and the MoHo's, and I'm sure that you will find that NO "cardboard and staple" construction will hold a candle to true aluminum and rivet construction.

You have already learned that "knowledge is power"...keep on learning from this site and others, the more information you have pre-purchase the happier you will be post-purchase.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We've had two AS trailers and two AS mo/hos; LOVE the mo/ho! We don't tow, we rent a
wreck whenever needed. Our Isuzu gets a steady 15 mpg
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
80% of his time the motorhome engine sits unused and he's stuck with that and has a cheap vehicle and a decent vehicle all to maintain and buy insurance for.

A beast of a TV might cost more in gas than a non beast to drive but more than the cost of three motored vehicles and their upkeep and acquisition? And there are compromises where you can go a little larger on the TV and a little smaller on the trailer and find a level of efficient compromise.

What would you enjoy more driving? How much will you be driving. It's as personal as any other choice you make and what strikes your fancy.

For us a larger vehicle comes in handy both at home and on a trip. It holds alot, cargo, passengers, pets. It is versatile.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you blow the engine in your motorhome, you're stuck until it's fixed. If you blow the engine in your pickup, you go get another engine put in (for a lot less $$$ than replacing the moho engine), or replace the pickup, and go on your way.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We also considered both a TT and a MOHO. After a lot of thought and research, we decided to go with a TT. We have now spent 322 nights in the 25FB and pulled her over 40,000 miles in two years. We are now somewhat experienced RVer's, and remain happy with our decision. We feel that a TT gives us more flexibility with less hassles than a MOHO.

This is a personal decision. Give it a lot of thought and talk to a lot of RVer's.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
TravelTrailer or MotorHome: Debate or just separate camps?

Prior to purchasing my Airstream in 1995, I considered an early 24-foot Airstream motorhome. My decision was to go with the trailer for several reasons:
  • I had recently traded a GMC G20 Conversion Van because I disliked mechanics tracking oil, grease, and dirt into the cabin of my vehicle -- something that would likely be even worse with a motorhome -- for me this was strike one.
  • My travel style virtually requires a reasonably sized vehicle for sightseeing once I arrive at a destination. Realizing that I hadn't had much luck finding a small car that I could tolerate that could be towed behind a motorhome -- for me this was strike two.
  • Concern over the question of what alternatives there would be if I acquired a motorhome with a chassis that proved to be a lemon -- my luck in acquiring motorized conveyances that were lemons from day one has been unusually good -- at least with a trailer--tow vehicle combination a lemon of a tow vehicle can rather easily be replaced while retaining living space that you may have spent considerable time designing to personal taste -- this was strike three for me.
Other considerations for me also included longevity. Having owned many vintage cars, I realized that beyond fifteen to twenty years mechanical parts can become a bit more difficult to find -- I like to keep my RVs/auto for decades and I was concerned about the trials and tribulations of traveling in a decades old motorhome. The cost for tires and maintenance was also an issue as I knew that I would have to depend upon mechanics/technicians for most of my routing maintenance.

This past summer, my vintage tow vehicle blew its alternator mid-afternoon on a Saturday. With the trailer/tow vehicle combination, I was able to have my tow vehicle taken to a reputable repair facility (for repairs the following Monday) while my trailer was towed to a very comfortable RV Park -- with a motorhome, my choice would have been to stay in the motorhome at the shop or take a motel room until the repairs were completed.

For each RVer, the choice between and among the RVs available is a personal one. One's particular use patterns and travel preferences often have a tremendous impact on the preferred RV type.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
What's your idea of 'camping'?

You have to look at the very broad spectrum of 'camping' and decide where you fit. At one end is tent camping, at the other end is the biggest of the big MoHo's. In between you have pop-ups, travel trailers (small to large) and 5th-wheels (which in my mind start at large and get bigger). Also, small and medium MoHo's (I think they're called Class C etc).

The big MoHo's offer incredible comfort, but it seems to me they're restrictive on where they can go. State parks, wilderness boon-docking, etc. are low on their list of options (not impossible, but there are fewer spaces into which they can fit). On the other hand, if you view the vehicle as a home-base from which to set out and explore your destination (meaning the destination is not the actual campsite) then the MoHo becomes a travelling hotel room and your 'toad' is the rental car.

Our Airstream is our first experience - we'd only camped a few times before, and that was in tents. But we have two friends with big MoHo's and enjoy the occasional travel with them. While we admire their luxury, we agree we wouldn't want one (even if we could afford it) because of the limitations. We view the campsite as the destination, and work hard to find beauty, seclusion, and nature. Our friends are usually content with some commercial RV park where they are 5 feet from their neighbor but have full hookups. We shudder at the thought!

Just my two bits.
Andy is right - you gotta decide for yourself, but there are relatively inexpensive ways to find out (MoHo rental is a good idea).
Old 11-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I think Tin makes a good point. My wife and I like plenty of elbow room when we're camping. I think a travel trailer is more conducive to out-of-way places, boondocking, unpaved roads, etc.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
You have already learned that "knowledge is power"...keep on learning from this site and others, the more information you have pre-purchase the happier you will be post-purchase.
Well said.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Ok, when are Brad & Susan gonna chip in with "Both!"?

You just kind of have to see the collection.

Good advice about evaluating what you like. Try to find a rally near you and tour what is there. Then you will have a much better idea. Airstream motorhomes may be difficult to find at rallys, though. I was really impressed with Brad and Susan's 310 at last Fall's Branson Rally. I also rode with Susan a few miles to meet other forum members with a motorhome when they stayed at the North Little Rock KOA. See http://www.gypsymoments.com/?cat=861
Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #14
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
I'm in he same situation than Billwil in the choice between a TT or a Mo/h as my "third house" for my travels in USA ( my second is a TT in France, the first one is an apartment, always in France...).
So , with the time, even if I'm fond of the vintage Mo/h, I'm afraid with what vintage means and I don't want to be on the side of the road with that and the cost when repairing ... With a vintage TT, they are strong , no engine and all the problems I know with my TT in France, don't stop me on the road.
The problem is to rent a pick-up trailer to tow the TT... and the lenght of the rig is great so not easy to stop for visiting.
And finally, my solution 'ld be to find a recent Airstream interstate for the fiability, consumption, lenght and the possibility to go everywhere and park it in town when visiting... My regret about that: not in aluminum.... and the actual high price.

hope that can help you in a décision.

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
Moho

I like a motorhome. I like things that run. I would feel shorted with a TT because it doesn't have an engine. I had a horse trailer and it just sat there you couldn't go anywhere in it.

I like to drive it to get a burger now and then. I put a motorcycle on the back.
deltatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:59 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatango View Post
I had a horse trailer and it just sat there you couldn't go anywhere in it.
Don't you need a horse when you have a horse trailer....sorry I couldn't resist.

For real though, you've taken the SMART first step, consider carefully.
For us it was the "style" of camping we like to do. With the exception of the dog shows,which are usually flooded w/mh, all the areas we like to frequent, would be inaccessible with all but the smallest MH.

Good luck keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 194.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	71833   Click image for larger version

Name:	PWDCA National Speciality 2008 013.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	71834  

Old 11-27-2008, 06:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We did a lot of soul searching on this question when we recently sold our 27' Award trailer.

After considering pretty much all options - including all classes of motorhomes, trailers, fifth wheels or getting out of RV-ing at this time, the decision seemed to be coming down to:

- new or recent Class A motorhome
- new SOB trailer
- recent model AS

All obviously have pros & cons.

We eventually rejected the motorhome approach because we mainly only use our RV for a 6 week winter trip and one or two short trips in summer, so it seemed a waste having so much $$ tied up.

Also, I cannot store an RV at our home, our storage spot is maybe 12 miles away. I figured that with a motorhome, I'd have to be going out to start it and give it a short run every couple of weeks and that woud become a pain.

We rejected the new SOB trailers because they just seemed so crummy inside and didn't seem to inspire any enthusiasm or pride of ownership.

So we bought the AS. Haven't used it yet - there than three nights when we brought it home, but really looking forward to this winter - I get enthused every time I look at it and all the more when I go inside, so it seems to have been the best choice in our case!

Obviously others would assess things quite differently.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Depreciation/Overall Cost/Convience

It boils down to $$$$.
If we could afford both, hey, why not?
A friend of a friend has had both. He purchased the best of both worlds. When it came time to sell, the motor home was a lot more expensive and lost a greater % of value.
A fellow like me can disconnect the tow vehicle from the Airstream and go to work.
It would be more difficult and expensive to drive a MoHo to work.
Imagine parking a MoHo in D.C., San Francisco, Phoenix, Dallas, Boston.....
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:34 AM   #19
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Our Isuzu gets a steady 15 mpg
When I fill up with the new low sulphur diesel my mileage goes down the hole. I try to get the old number 2 whenever I can. Otherwise, we love our MH. We tow a VW Jedda diesel with it where ever we go.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
another thing to consider is if you travel with pets. our children are grown but they refer to our dog as our "replacement kid". that was one big factor in our choosing a mh. the traveling comforts are shared by all of us and the times when our dog has to be alone in the mh he has all the comforts of home. now if only he could help in driving........
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote