Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q View Post
Hmmm...

The point of using a 31' or longer would be to have not only the "garage" area, but also the "spare bedroom" in the front of the trailer for the boys. That way, when we aren't actively traveling, they can sleep in the trailer on bunk beds, with their own bathroom, and my wife and I can have the privacy of the 345 bedroom in the back, and not worry about "certain noise levels" that one would not want to expose the kiddies to in the night...

(sigh)

"In and out of driveways," huh...

How about if I didn't' use the 345 to back the trailer in - but hooked it to the Jeep - ONLY for the "placing" of the trailer. I am sure the Jeep would handle that work...

Should I then still e worried about the "lifting" while driving down the highway? I should hope not - especially on interstates - but how about on "byways" - NOT divided highways - say, for example, back roads in AZ...? On "normal" roads - even in hilly terrain (and I am not talking about 2-tracks, or even single lane roads that one really should not be taking the 345 onto even by itself), is the overhang and lifting, and subsequent dipping of the rear of the trailer still a concern?

As for the"wasted space" in the rear of the trailer - I was planning to build (very lightweight) storage and/or pegboard-type hanging space for tools, fuel cans, extra LP gas tanks, etc. - And maybe shelves for linens and extra fabric (my wife sews) - perhaps a couple of tarps to make the space etween the 2 awnings covered, and maybe even be able to create an "outdoor hallway/living space" next to the rig - so not planning to entirely "waste" the space - but surely not have anything there that is going to have significant enough weight to it that it would cause the frame to buckle. I'll keep the heavier items (spare fuel and propane tanks) closer to the axles, and the lighter stuff further to the rear.

I wish there were someone with knowledge of the structure, or someone with engineering knowledge, and specific Airstream knowledge, that could help me through these potential pitfalls before I end up doing something I'll be sorry about.

The alternative to using the trailer is simply towing the Jeep on a tow-bar behind the 345, but that would end up just a little on the cramped side for long-term living, with the 3 boys (12, 10, and 4).
I understand what you are trying to do. I'm just trying to point out some problems with the idea. Going down the highway is not the problem other than proper tongue weight and weight distribution in the trailer. The driveways are at fuel stops, supermarkets, food stops, Walmarts or any place you may stop if only to stretch your legs. You just don't think about that overhang until you actually take a trip. Those driveways/high crown roads are everywhere.

The light weight storage in the back is another problem. Gas cans, propane tanks and tools are very heavy and that weight adds up quickly. With your Jeep over the axles that storage is weight where you don't want it. Many people on this site won't even fill their water tanks until they reach their destination to save weight. There are many discussions on this site about rear end separation and frame problems. You can even have problems just jacking the trailer up without twisting the frame and doing damage to the trailer. There are also many more discussions about the damage caused by towing with too stiff of a suspension on the tow vehicle or too heavy weight distribution bars on the hitch.

Making a toy hauler out of an Airstream would be a cool set up but it just won't happen on the Airstream frame. Build a proper frame and drop the shell on it. The overhang on the motorhome is something you just learn to deal with. Adding that long of a trailer with that much more dipping and swinging will really restrict where you can go.

I don't know your RV experience but I would suggest getting the motorhome, a tow bar for the Jeep and a tent for the kids. Take a few trips, go camping and then think about building your toy hauler.

Good luck, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Agreed, best way to do this would be to buy the A/S trailer of your size and choice, and buy/build a car trailer frame. Marry the two.
Most vintage trailer would need a body off, so that is not the issue. Its a huge undertaking tho.
Yes, I want to see a Airstream M/H towing a Airstream Trailer... Both Polished!

If you want inspiration... look here!
Airstream4U Verkauf -Vermietung | sale- rent | vente - location | Promotionfahrzeuge | Eventmobile | Foodmobile | 4you 4me 4all - made in Germany !
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote