Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2004, 05:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

toad hitch

Can anyone recommend a particular toad towbar ...I have a car dolly but would like to cut the extra 300-500# rolling weigh of the trailer. I would like to pull a VW Fox with our MH. I've looked at the all aluminum and titanium towbar models at a local RV dealer and in the CW catalog and like those which stayfold and stay on the RV.

Would like real-world user advise before purchasing.

We have used the car dolly with our Honda Odessey mini van but can sure tell its back there. May have the car dolly For Sale soon if I go with the tow bar.

Ideally I'd like to purchase a 1968 hardtop VW minibus, restore it and paint it silver metalic or cover with aluminum sheet metal to match the MH. Then I'd have a toad and room for the kids to sleep with friends outside the MH.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Blue Ox Toad Carried

I have a Blue Ox that's carried on the front of the Saturn toad.

I prefer carrying the hitch on the toad rather than the rear of the MoHo for a couple of reasons.

The hitch is easy to get to on the front of the toad, and (I think) it is easier and quicker to get on and off for both removal and temp (nested) storage when the tow bar is mounted on the toad.

I also like the ease of alignment and quick latching time afforded by the ball type hitch.

Most of the time I run the Saturn with the tow bar in the garage, but I leave the tow bar to chassis arms in place (the arms are also pinned in place, and removeable), the pins securing the arms are under the front end, and are a bit difficult, but not impossible, to get to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturn Blue Ox Tow Bar.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	7030  
Attached Images

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I have a Falcon 2 and like it as far as ease of hook up. It is all steel and stays on the mh, not as light as an aluminum one but not that bad. What I don't like is the fit and finish. It is only about a year old and looks 4 years old. Cheap plating, not the best powder coat (paint?). The pins that attach the bar to the base plates are looking pretty bad for what use they have seen. I would really like to have seen a ground pin with a better fit, but attachment would probably cause some problems. All in all I would buy it again, they just need some improvements.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Zamboni,
We have outfitted a Jeep Grand Cherokee '97, an '01 Chevy HD 6 liter 4X4, a Land Rover Range Rover '99, a 2000 Saturn SW2, an Land Rover Discovery '03, and currently a '04 Chevy 4X4 Duramaxthat we are or have towed behind our SOB diesel pusher.(500hp,1550 ft lb) We have 2 Blue Ox Aventa 2 towbars (one as a spare for any reason) We have had great use and super customer service from Blue Ox. I also have 2 pair of removable "towing nubs" which you are welcome to. They will fit Jeep Grand Cherokees '97-03 and '96-02 Saturns. IMHO, you can't beat Blue Ox
www.aemfg.com or 1-800-228-9289 :-)))
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have a roadmaster "stowmaster" which when off the Saturn has hidden mounts. Its easy to set up and I have been happy with it...300+ bucks for the tow bar, without the car mounts, which came on my toad.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 08:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
I too am looking for the right tow bar for my '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The options are: Ball vs receiver type
Aluminum vs steel
external wires vs internal wire channels
fixed arms vs telescoping (all terrain?)
fixed A frame vs fold away

My brain tells me that aluminum, fold away, internal channels, all terrain (telescoping) is the way to go, but I'm having difficulty deciding on ball vs receiver. I like the idea of ball so that if my Jeep ever konks out, it can be towed by any vehicle with a ball hitch, since the tow bar stays on the Jeep. The reciever type hitch stays on the MH. BTW, CW has many designs with free install this month. Any quick suggestions?