Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
The introduction of e15 ethanol

I am reading a ton of stuff on this forum and others regarding the imminent introduction of e15 ethanol. These people are convinced that e15 will rot their gaskets, smell like mouse piss, give their children pea-sized facial tumors and convince their wives that sex is obsolete. Now here's the deal...they make engines for these moho things called diesels that run on the same fuel that cooked your french fries at mickey d's tonight. If you cant make a change just drop a bottle of Stabil in every time you fill up. If you're like most of us, the rig stays in the driveway 80% of the time anyway so the cost is irrelevant. If your engine dissolves don't blame me. Just find an armadillo you can train to tow your pickup and get on with the rv'ing. Life is way too short to fret.
bukib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi bukib. Not surprised about any hesitance on E85. Multiple posts at AIR on this issue suggest that members in the SE, SW, and West Coast are too far from the cornbelt to even see E85 at their pumps (not enough supply, and then that is driven by artificial and now waning government support). I'm more than ready to see dairy, peanut & corn supports equalize out and disappear as a market manipulative force. Not being an idealogue, I fully accept that supply problems with oil should righteously force realistic pricing in the future. Use up the easily accessible resources and then let progressive market forces set pricing. I still remember the shock when gas reached $.39/gallon in the mid-70s. If only...

I don't feel that supply currently is an imminent problem and I take no issue about the clearly large petro consumption demand eventually tightening supply. Prices will rise and only then will alternative fuel sources begin to be feasible. Government seems to be bailing on supporting ethanol. Ethanol production capacity in the midwest has outstripped economic justifiable demand and the market will rule.

I'm a consumer of diesel fuel for my Duramax GMC tow vehicle. In spite of diesel coming from a less refined (ie, cheaper to produce) fraction, diesel disproportinately has risen in price to reflect its higher BTU content. That's probably what we can expect to see in the long run.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukib View Post
I am reading a ton of stuff on this forum and others regarding the imminent introduction of e15 ethanol. These people are convinced that e15 will rot their gaskets, smell like mouse piss, give their children pea-sized facial tumors and convince their wives that sex is obsolete. Now here's the deal...they make engines for these moho things called diesels that run on the same fuel that cooked your french fries at mickey d's tonight. If you cant make a change just drop a bottle of Stabil in every time you fill up. If you're like most of us, the rig stays in the driveway 80% of the time anyway so the cost is irrelevant. If your engine dissolves don't blame me. Just find an armadillo you can train to tow your pickup and get on with the rv'ing. Life is way too short to fret.
What is the E-30 and E-85 doing to unborn children then? Here is something to think about..... I have a non-flex-fuel 1999 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive pickup that I have been running on E-30 or E-85 depending on availability for the 7 years that I have owned it with no damage to seals/gaskets or any other issues except one (1). The on board computer thinks the gas is not burning right (Too Hot) if I don't occasionally put about a 1/3 mix with E-10 in or non ethanol or use an octane booster product. That then resets the computer and allow the use of higher ethanol blends again. The one thing I have noticed is that the mpg is about 2 mpg lower when running this higher ethanol in my truck. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
My manual state "do not use alcohol" 454 chevy 1999 pre e10.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Boise , Idaho
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
I'm a consumer of diesel fuel for my Duramax GMC tow vehicle. In spite of diesel coming from a less refined (ie, cheaper to produce).

This has bothered me for some time. In simple terms, diesel is a by-product on the way to making gasoline. When my grandfather worked on fishing boats in the gulf, the Texas oil refineries would GIVE the diesel away or just pump it out into the gulf. Granted this was over a half century ago, but it illustrates the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
... diesel disproportinately has risen in price to reflect its higher BTU content. That's probably what we can expect to see in the long run.

The higher price reflects only the greed of oil companies who, in the true sense of capitalism, charge more for diesel because they can.

The argument could be made, increased diesel consumption, brought about by war, created competition for the resources, thereby driving the price of diesel higher, but if this becomes the position of those in oil, the federal government should intercede and oversee a rationing program. Allowing the burden of war (supported or not) intended (on its face) to aide the general public, disproportionately impact the citizenry is fiscally irresponsible and morally unjustifiable.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living31 View Post

This has bothered me for some time. In simple terms, diesel is a by-product on the way to making gasoline. When my grandfather worked on fishing boats in the gulf, the Texas oil refineries would GIVE the diesel away or just pump it out into the gulf. Granted this was over a half century ago, but it illustrates the point.

The higher price reflects only the greed of oil companies who, in the true sense of capitalism, charge more for diesel because they can.

The argument could be made, increased diesel consumption, brought about by war, created competition for the resources, thereby driving the price of diesel higher, but if this becomes the position of those in oil, the federal government should intercede and oversee a rationing program. Allowing the burden of war (supported or not) intended (on its face) to aide the general public, disproportionately impact the citizenry is fiscally irresponsible and morally unjustifiable.
Diesel price increase is for having to meet standards to remove the sulfur since around 2008 so they are having to refine it a lot more than before. Bio Diesel in Houston is now about 50 cents cheaper than Diesel. I believe all cruse ships departing Galveston are now using Bio Diesel.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
rolling my eyes!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
rolling my eyes!
Holding my nose...

Shutting my pie-hole...
Old 07-31-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
So, how many gallons of petroleum fuel does it take to make and deliver one gallon of non-petroleum fuel?
Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
So, how many gallons of petroleum fuel does it take to make and deliver one gallon of non-petroleum fuel?
"First, the net energy ratio of corn-based ethanol (useful energy divided by the energy required to produce a unit of ethanol) is at best 1.25 but in practice a lot worse. Some have calculated a ratio less than one, meaning that it takes more energy to produce ethanol from corn than the energy content of the fuel."

Found on the cyber-web it must be true.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Don't want E15, don't need it and refuse to use any ethanol in my generators, lawnmower, chainsaw and weedeater. I wish I didn't have to use e10 in my truck but when it goes to e15 then I will buy no ethanol from a local supplier as long as he can get it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
what really aggrevates me about e85

They had to go adding 15% gasoline to it and ruin a mighty fine source of $3/gallon moonshine.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
My experience is that fuel mileage of E85 is about 80% of the E10. So when I pull up to the pump I run a quick calculation and if the price is less than 80% of the E10 price, I fill up with alcohol. It's been running around $2.95 lately.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
HaHa, do not ask. you do not want to know
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
HaHa, do not ask. you do not want to know

John,

Watching the NASCAR race at the Glen....one talking head to the other,

"everyones having to make more fuel stop's this Season", next 10 min spent dodging the fact they be using......Sunoco "Racing Fuel">>>> corn likker

Bob