Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

The future of Motorhomes as seen by GMC

With all of the talk about the new Airstream Classic motorhome, I thought some of you might be interested in what's on GMCs mind lately...
Surfing the web I came across this link:

http://www.laautoshow.com/2006/designla/popGmc.html

It's a concept vehicle from GMC called the PAD. The concept claims to be "an urban loft with mobility". It even incorporates a SkyDeck atop the unit. Pretty futuristic, but it seems a little (ok, VERY LITTLE) reminiscent of the original GMC motorhomes.

Happy trails....

Todd
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:57 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hope it's got a Duramax under the hood.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster
With all of the talk about the new Airstream Classic motorhome, I thought some of you might be interested in what's on GMCs mind lately...reminiscent of the original GMC motorhomes.

Hmmmph -

What goes around, comes around.

Looks as if GM upgraded the EM-50 Urban Assult Vehicle - from "Stripes" with Bill Murray.

More pics here:

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl...leExterior.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EM-50 Urban Assult Vehicle.jpg
Views:	1296
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	17527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Stripes EM-50 in Action.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	17528  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stripes Road Tank.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	17529  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:45 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Looks like a cross between the Futurliner and the GMC motor home.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:47 AM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Cool - the urban assault vehicle returns!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I still love those 70's GMC. There was a company trying to reproduce them, but it seems it did not get off the ground. I drove one before buying my airstream, and had it not needed so much tlc, who knows I might be on a different Forum today. GMCCoop has some awesome redone GMC mohos on their web site.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I still love those 70's GMC. There was a company trying to reproduce them, but it seems it did not get off the ground. . .
The tooling for the GMC motorhomes was on eBay a little over a year ago. I didn't bid on it because I didn't have a place to put 400,000 lbs of tool steel.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
This is typical for GM and other auto makers in that they spend more energy developing new products than they do improving existing ones.--Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I really like the GMC MH's. While pursuing an Airstream for years in a tandem search we also were looking for just the right GMC. Got close a couple of times but kept hearing the horror stories from folks who had owned them. Two of our close friends do have them and one has redone his to a level I could only dream of. The other has his for sale because he wants to tow his hotrod and there's concern about the towing capability of these units given front wheel drive. He tried it a bit later last summer and it just wasn't comfortable, so he's bought an SOB with sufficient towing capacity. He also needed more room to accommodate a growing family of grandchildren who want to go camping. They sure do look great going down the highway and heck, someday, I just might pick one up anyway for those trips where I just don't want to drag along a trailer, and they are getting cheap enough again to make that feasible. As for the new one, well, that's pushing a bunch beyond my idea of a "camping" unit. I think you'd be fighting off the crowds at any stop you made. I like some level of anonymity.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
I still love those 70's GMC. There was a company trying to reproduce them, but it seems it did not get off the ground. I drove one before buying my airstream, and had it not needed so much tlc, who knows I might be on a different Forum today. GMCCoop has some awesome redone GMC mohos on their web site.
I'm sure glad you went with the Airstream. I love those classic GMCs as well, but the guys I've talked to who own them say they just don't have a support system like this Forum that's comprehensive enough to help them when things go wrong. If they hadn't been FWD, I think they would have been even better, but that would have taken away a little from the look and style of such a low riding rig.

Tim
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #11
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Gmc

I almost bought one ten years ago. A company here was rebuilding them from the bottom up. They would take them off the frame and start from scratch with new rebuilt engine, tranny, suspension and all. They only wanted $25000.00 for one. My Wife said No!! When you look at the bed it goes from wall to wall and she did not want to make it. I also talked to owners that said that on wet grass, they were stuck. No traction. They are also really small inside compared with out 345.

I still think they were really neat.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I had a chance to buy a fully restored GMC that was a real classic ony problem they wanted $27,000 for it.
They are great for short trips but don't know about extended stay.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
I almost bought one ten years ago. A company here was rebuilding them from the bottom up. They would take them off the frame and start from scratch with new rebuilt engine, tranny, suspension and all. They only wanted $25000.00 for one. My Wife said No!! When you look at the bed it goes from wall to wall and she did not want to make it. I also talked to owners that said that on wet grass, they were stuck. No traction. They are also really small inside compared with out 345.

I still think they were really neat.
I had long talks with a GMC owner at a campground in the mountains of North Carolina a number of years ago. He loved the vehicle, but said it essentially was better looking than practical. He complained about the bed layout, and the fiberglass body determining the location of so many appliances and such. The final problem I noticed was that he got stuck trying to leave his camp site. The combination of front wheel drive (slipping on a grade) and the low slung body dragging caused him to have to go back-and-forth in a rocking motion (like on snow and ice) for a very long time in order to work himself out of the site. I love the look of those things going down the highway, but they apparently aren't as practical as they are attractive. Such a shame.

Tim
Old 01-10-2006, 06:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
yes, I was scared off by the olds drivetrain, front wheel drive and the lack of room. also the one i was looking at started at 16000, and the owner dropped the price repeatedly which made me nervous about it. I was really blessed to come across an Airstream and realize how much better they were in the build quality. Then it only took 4 months to find one
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:15 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

My good friend and racing buddy Dave has a GMC. It's a fine vehicle IMHO, but some of the comments here about traction when towing are right on target.

When we took his 22' trailer to pick up a new racecar a couple of years back, getting out of the subdivision where the car was proved a real trick. The roads were slightly damp and there were long gradual uphills; the left front Michelin would smoke readily on the gentlest start. At one point I had to back the rig down about half a block, then get a running start while Dave blocked traffic on the intersecting street. On the trip home, he told me he was feeling wheelspin on some fairly gentle interstate uphills.

He now plans his "escape route" before entering a track. Parking in grassy paddock areas, unless they're dead level, is out of the question. His GMC has a front-mounted hitch ball, and he's made up a 4' towbar to use with it if he gets stuck.

Except for layout, our rigs are pretty comparable. His: 26' GMC moho, 22' trailer, 500 CID Caddy with Accel FI system. Mine: 24' Argosy moho, 20' trailer, 502 CID Chevy with GM (Howell) FI. We always paddock together, and we definitely always have the most unusual tow vehicles on site!

Bob in Nashville
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The GMC concept will probably be right on the heels of the new Classic by Airstream. Sometime in 200?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Either way, if GMC makes a comeback or Airstream with the "Classic" motorhome, the cost is sure to be darn near the cost of a ranch house in todays dollars.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
yes, I was scared off by the olds drivetrain, front wheel drive and the lack of room. also the one i was looking at started at 16000, and the owner dropped the price repeatedly which made me nervous about it. I was really blessed to come across an Airstream and realize how much better they were in the build quality. Then it only took 4 months to find one
Talk about blessed - I was so blessed that I have a brother who had the 370, but never had enough time to use it, much less take care of it properly. I helped him several times get work done, and also was able to repair the problems on the coach that had developed because of lack of use. When his wife made it clear she had no interest in the vehicle, he decided to sell it UNLESS I was interested . My life-long love affair with Avion trailers (and every other type of camping methods) made Airstream MoHo a love-at-first-sight situation for me. So, I now own that fabulous machine for virtually free (which is the only way I could have afforded one). I had an Airsteam motor home literally dropped off in my yard! Needless to say, I am totally thrilled to have such a marvelous thing. We camp almost year round, so I'm really looking forward to this coming season. I have always been impressed by the build quality Avion had in their trailers, and I've found their equal in the motor home - with the bonus of being able to get it essentially for the work and maintenance I've been doing over the last several years. Being a retired school teacher, I would have never even shopped for something like this. I've already got a list of projects for the MoHo, but what a great time I'm having ! I really think I would never have taken the 370 if it weren't for the Forum. What a great bunch of people. They've given me not only all the help I could ask for, but a way to stay connected with folks who have the same appreciation for quality as I have.

Best,

Tim
Old 01-10-2006, 09:33 AM   #19
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
GM sure has an interesting futuristic concept “PAD” vehicle here.
But as an “urban loft with mobility?" We know concept vehicles are not intended to be marketed, and are built as R&D-type exercises for demonstrations of the new concepts and technologies. But where is the “form follows function” part of the concept and to whom or to what market could it be realistically targeted?
Still, it would be nice to be able to test one for a period after they finish their show and tell exhibitions. And who knows what interesting product may evolve out of these concepts?
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Either way, if GMC makes a comeback or Airstream with the "Classic" motorhome, the cost is sure to be darn near the cost of a ranch house in todays dollars.
A ranch house in Chicago, maybe! They've already well exceeded the cost of a ranch, not just a ranch house, out here! From looking at their suggested prices every motorhome, except the land yacht gas series, well exceeds the price of our 3 acre spread!

As for the concept vehicle, I'm thinking 1970s morning kids show. Something about a bunch of scientists travelling around the desert. That thing looks just like it. Can't remember the name of it. Someone must know what I'm talking about...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote