Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
The Epitome of Weird

In September of 2010 I bought a 1993 36' foot Land Yacht on a whim thinking my wife and I wud enjoy a modicum of camping.

After years of competitive motorcycle and car racing I thought this deal wud be carefree.

I was wrong.

I never competed on surfaces that had lines or speed limits. But suddenly I found myself trying to pilot this huge vehicle between lines and speed limits. I have driven it in some of the most impossible conditions you can imagine like the upper reaches of the Cumberland Plateau in Tn. with ice on the road.

But I still can not get comfortable with it. I get passed by 45 foot Prevosts at 75 mph on I40 while I am white knuckling it at 63 mph on my way to Nashville.

Bottom line...this thing scares me. Is it me? I will have to drive it down a narrow two lane road Tuesday to get it back to a waterfront spot we have on Kentucky Lake. I have pins in both arms and one leg from my racing career. Why does this vehicle freak me out so bad?

Is it time to sell?
bukib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Yes... If you are not having fun, do something else.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Absolutely, driving white knuckle and not having fun means it is time to stop doing that and on to something else you can have actually have fun with.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
How does your wife feel about driving it?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
My first question is: Why do you feel like you're white knuckling it? Is it the handling? The braking? The lack of power? Or is it the feeling of it being huge?

Some of the above can be related to age and component deterioration. I have a 92 36' land yacht and have found that the lack of braking and power makes mine a bit of a pain to drive but I think that some work on the brakes would make a huge difference.

PS: Post some pics of your unit. I love to see LY's of the same era.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
My first question is: Why do you feel like you're white knuckling it? Is it the handling? The braking? The lack of power? Or is it the feeling of it being huge?

Some of the above can be related to age and component deterioration. I have a 92 36' land yacht and have found that the lack of braking and power makes mine a bit of a pain to drive but I think that some work on the brakes would make a huge difference.

PS: Post some pics of your unit. I love to see LY's of the same era.
I agree with this your MH is now 20 years old if the suspension is original it's shot, heck if it was all replaced 10 year ago some of your suspension is probably shot.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Age really doesn't have as much effect on your suspension as wear and tear from mileage. But I believe the more important issue is that you are driving a 20 year old design truck, not a race car or motorcycle. That is not to say it is bad or unsafe, just that it is quite different.

My Airstream is 11 years older than yours and last year we took a 4 month trip from Washington State up and around the Canadian Maritime, down the Blue ridge Parkway and back to Washington with no problem.

Have the suspension checked out to be sure it is in serviceable condition and then try to put a little faith in your coach and relax a bit. You may find that you can sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

Good luck, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I am not sure what chassis you have there. Is it a pusher with a tag???

Most handling problems, if the vehicle is up to specs, are due to improper weight distribution and improper tire pressure. The other problem is the greater the ratio of WB to length exceeds 53% the more handling problems you will have.( eg, Clipper is 228" WB / length = ratio.)

If you are happy with that length of vehicle but would like to upgrade, Airstream A36' A37s, 2000 and up on the Freightliner Straight Rail Chassis are available now at reasonable prices and these units should handle like a Caddy. Some of the last produced were on the Raised Rail Chassis.

There are also many good 39 foot models on the Raised Rail Chassis.

2003 AIRSTREAM - National Multi List,The Largest Database of Used Recreational Vehicles,Boats,Pre-Owned Homes,Properties.

My Clipper is on the Raised Rail Chassis and is a dream to drive in town or on any highway.

If you have a quality unit that is well maintained, you should only be smiling, not griding your teeth.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukib View Post
But I still can not get comfortable with it. I get passed by 45 foot Prevosts at 75 mph on I40 while I am white knuckling it at 63 mph on my way to Nashville.
Bottom line...this thing scares me. Is it me? I will have to drive it down a narrow two lane road Tuesday to get it back to a waterfront spot we have on Kentucky Lake. I have pins in both arms and one leg from my racing career. Why does this vehicle freak me out so bad?
Is it time to sell?
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:

I-40 through Tennessee gives me stress and white knuckles and I am only pulling a 25' AS with a pickup truck. I feel your pain. I opt for the two lane roads as much as possible to reduce the stress and avoid the white knuckles. The journey should be part of fun.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
My unit is a pusher on a spartan chassis. Handling isnt really the problem I feel. It is the only MH I have ever driven so I really don't have anything to compare it to.
The two lane idea is very appealing. The Natchez Trace Parkway beats I55 anytime. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Not to analyze too much, but I just can't help it, sounds like basic fear to me. The visceral, gut-deep kind.

It's not a good feeling, and certainly not something you want to be experiencing simultaneously with driving a rig that big. Who knows why, exactly, and does it really matter?

Bottom line, it's there, it's debilitating and I believe potentially a danger on the road. It could affect your reflexes, don'tcha think? It would affect mine. Might be a little PTSD from wherever/whatever.

My husband does most of the driving of our ittle rig, although I can and do drive. There are some situations where I am just plain scared, though, and would never drive but for an emergency. And, it's okay.

I would do something else. It's not fun for you. Find something smaller, that doesn't give you those feelings.

Life is too short.

Maggie
Old 12-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
If it isn't fun, do do it.
If you don't feel safe, you aren't.
We have owned four Airstreams and as many SOB travel trailers and have towed throughout these United States since 1976.
We thought we might prefer a motor-home, so we test drove one from Albuquerque to Moriarty, NM and back on I-40.
It was a disaster!
Could not wait to pull that thing back into the dealer's lot.
I didn't enjoy it, and I didn't feel safe.
So, don't feel bad about following your instincts.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
To some degree I felt the same when I first got my little Bambi II and was towing with an Xtera. White knuckle is being kind to the way I felt. I traded in the Xtera for a proper TV, a 2012 F150 SCREW Ecoboost and now I look forward to every trip. I am sure it was mostly in my head but towing with the Xtera was a very nervous experience. The Ford on the other hand is a real joy to drive.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Why does this vehicle freak me out so bad?
Have to agree with everyone else; if it ain't fun, try something else. But, until you find out WHY it's no fun, there's a good chance your next one will be no fun, too.

Sitting so much higher than you're used to sitting could be part of the problem. This causes you to feel the vehicle swaying more than you would if you were sitting lower. Especially in a crosswind. Your eyes say you're still in your lane, but your inner ear says you're drifting out of it. This leads you to constantly try to correct a problem that isn't there, to the point that you over-correct.

Sound familiar? If it does, then it's not necessarily the size of the rig that's the problem, and you should be fine pulling a trailer instead of driving a motorhome. If if doesn't sound like your problem, then I obviously don't know what I'm talking about and I'll shut up and go away.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Here's how I have given my knuckles a break:

1) With 63k on the odometer, got the steering coupler, aka "rag joint", replaced. Mechanic said that it was an accident waiting to happen, he wouldn't even road test the brakes until it was fixed. Drives much more like a car now, no more constant correcting with the steering wheel.
2) When I feel panicky, I shift my focus further down the road instead of immediately in front of the vehicle. Also, make a quick check of a side mirror to find the white line when I am worried about where I am in the lane.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Without a bit more info on what is making it so scary (if it is handling related), maybe you just need to slow down? Our trailer is night and day different from 95km/h to 110km/h (55 to 70mph) It isn't scary, but it isn't as relaxing, that's for sure.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
If you don't drive your MH very often that can affect how comfortable you feel driving it. I know it does me, it takes a while getting used to the handling, size and road and weather condishions that day, its like learning all over before you can really relax driving.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
I think you nailed it Gloran. I drive it so infrequently that every time is like the first time. Thanks to you the answer is apparent. Its time to hit the road. I'll go easy until my comfort level is reached. My wife and my longest trip has been a little over a thousand miles in 2011. By the time we got home I was ready to push on to do the LA turnaround. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
My Airstream hasn't been out of the drive in several months due to several issues (refurb of interior) but definitely know what you speak of when driving it after not being behind the wheel of the 'beast'.
No one else has suggested this, but have you considered some driving instruction from a RV School? I've got full-timer friends who have a F-550 towing a 39ft 5th wheel. They've told me that the best money they spent was a 3 day driving class. Both can back that 13ft tall monster anywhere they can fit it! Neither is scared to be behind the wheel towing it.
Once my Classic is road-worthy, I'll be heading to Ocala, FL for the class.
Good Luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote