Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2003, 09:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

spotted 5 Airstreams in Maine

It was a sight to behold.....we were driving our 1981 28' Excella MH on I95 to Portland, ME and up ahead were 4 silver bullets and 1 land yatch. ( 3 trailers and 1 motorhome.) They were in a caravan heading south. Just curious if anyone on here was visiting Maine on the first week in September.

We were heading to Portland (2hrs from home) to get 6 new michelin tires mounted. No one closer would sell us those tires. We headed to the tiip of Cape Cod for the week and managed to have lots of unusual problems to keep us on pins and needles. The first problem was a real scare....smoke started coming out of the dash and forced an emerency stop on the busy interstate. Some wires to the air horn decided to melt ...they just burned themselves out and we were back on the road with an adrenalin rush in our blood. They wires weren't even hooked up....then a couple days later we started losing charge on the batteries.....found a mechanic just in time before the engine shut down....we needed a new altenator....fortunately the part was available and we were back on the beach by afternoon....now we are wonderilng if the air horn mess was related to the altenator getting fried.

Another problem was one of our new tires went flat..you can imagine how that felt... fortunately we had an air compressor to fill it up and decided to head home early to have the tire place check it out. They found a leak in the extended valve. They think it came lose because the rim was spinning and knocked it oround...another valve also looked like it took a beating.....they said they take no responsibility with extended valves....now we're not sure what to do....it's a real job to unscrew the hubs everytime to check the air pressure....anyone else dealing with this problem?
malski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
A "convoy" of Airstreams is "breathtaking" I think. Your sighting reminded me that I was going to ask here on the forum when we got home.......were any of you out in NM in a group of 6-8 Airstream trailers in late August?

In the a.m. leaving Santa Fe, NM, we were treated to the sight of your group of Airstreams headed south on I-25.

Honestly, I hate to admit it, but for me for some reason it is an emotional experience.

Sorry to hear about your trip and some problems; it seems like we always come home with a list of things to repair--this time it was the step.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I live in NC and almost NEVER see an Airstream on the road. We went up I-85/95 to NJ for Labor Day and didn't see one, either coming or going.

I can't wait til MINE is the one I see!
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 10:38 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
You'll likely see more in that area toward the end of next week, if you're up that way. There's a rally "mid-coast" starting next thursday....

malski, where do you live?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:47 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Kistler-
There was a rally in Santa Fe the first week of Sept. most people got there the week before. Must have been about 15 trailers + some motor homes. We were there but not in the caravan you mentioned.

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 02:00 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

We are in Blue Hill, Maine....on the coast between Bar Harbor and Deer Isle.

We've only had our airstream MH 3 months......still getting familiar and working out the kinks....it's doing pretty good overall....but still lots to work on. We just discovered the dash heater dosen't work....(grin)
Old 09-13-2003, 07:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
We make a trip from OK to MS and back 4-5 times a year and always look out for AS and see one or two every other trip or so. By far less AS than SOB's.

Fri. Sept 12th saw a really nice looking AS 31/34' MH at a rest stop just west of Ft. Smith AR. We were past the rest area entrance or would have stoped to ck it out.

WARNING for any one traveling east bound I40 into LT. Rock the lanes narrow down to 8'6" side by side. White knuckel without pulling a TT. They should have made it one single lane. VERY DANGEROUS AREA.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 12:09 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

I forgot to mention the five airstreams we spotted in Maine were from Texas...at least one was....I am assuming they all were but maybe not.

Garry.....we will be in Oklahoma by Oct. 25...its my dad's birthday...I grew up in OKC...he lives in Ardmore and we will stay there for a few weeks and be back in Maine by mid Nov.....we're thinking of leaving the MH in Ardmore and return again in January when the winter turns rough here in Maine. Where is Broken Arrow? guess Ill pull out a map.... Marty
Old 09-13-2003, 04:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Marty:
Our official residance is Broken Arrow OK just outside Tulsa.
We also have a home not far from Tupelo MS and spend time in both places.
I haven't been to Maine in many years but I do remember the water was always to cold to go swimming.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote