Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Marietta , Georgia
Send a message via MSN to 85/345
Sound Deadener

I am putting new carpet around the pilot, co-pilot and doghouse and was wondering if I should use sound deadener or just plain old carpet padding. Don't really know if the sound deadening insulation will make that much difference. I am looking at Dynamat and from what I've heard it works pretty well. Has anyone had experience with this stuff? Is it worth the extra money? If you have any other ideas let me know.

Thanks,
Brian
85/345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Brian:

You may want to visit this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=15091

When I pulled up my old carpet there was no padding under it in the pilot/copilot area - I installed the new carpet with a good quality commercial (heavy density) foam pad (except for the doghouse - left the original carpet on and covered it over).

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I also redid my carpet in my MH. I padded the floor in the cockpit with a high quality pad as well as the carpet. I added the heat and sound insulation under the lid of the doghouse, 2 layers thick. I also added additional padding between the steel of the doghouse cover and the wood underlayment of the cover with carpet on top.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I can tell you that you can have a normal voice conversation with your passenger like you would in your daily driver. That makes long drives easy and less stressful.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Dynamat and others

85/345,

I am, this very night, putting together my truck after taking apart the doors, floors and everything not nailed down. I put in two layers of B-Quiet Extreme and one layer of V-comp. I'll tell you in the next couple of days if it is the "bank vault" that it already appears to be. Conversation in a low voice has not been an option prior to this modification. The website for this product is www.b-quiet.com and it was quite easy to order, ship and install. I can only tell you right now that my doors close with an authoritative THUNK, as if they are solid steel. Kinda cool...
Old 03-09-2005, 10:19 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

I'd highly recommend checking out some of the high-tech insulating materials. These tend to be expensive, but they're very effective and thus worth the cost, IMHO.

The B-Quiet site has some good products. I chose one from J. C. Whitney, their P/N ZX158488B, and I've been very pleased with the results. It insulates against heat as well as noise. I used this same material to line my generator compartment, and it's very quiet.

It seems that now I actually get more engine noise through the floorboards and firewall than from the doghouse. I'm in the process of recarpeting the front compartment, and I intend to use the same material as a carpet pad, at least on the sheet metal parts of the floor.

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneon
I'd highly recommend checking out some of the high-tech insulating materials. These tend to be expensive, but they're very effective and thus worth the cost, IMHO.
I used the same material and with the same results, more noise now from the floor and firewall than engine. The only time I really hear the engine is when the fan clutch kicks in.

For the floor and firewall I think the way to go is spray insulation because of the irregular shape. I used some spray ceramic heat insulation on my inner roof and the temperature reduction was amazing.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:15 AM   #7
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Quiet !

Who can be more particular than expensive yacht owners?

In the U.S. Mega-Yacht industry the leader in sound reduction technology can be found here: http://www.soundown.com/

No doubt your 'Land-Yacht' is worth it!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
....... used some spray ceramic heat insulation on my inner roof and the temperature reduction was amazing.

John:

Do you have a make or website for the ceramic spray?

That's a new one on me.

THanks,

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
You betcha. It ain't cheap, and has gone up since I got it even. It has to be something repackaged because I couldn't find it anywhere else under that name.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=268-232

It really works. I made the inner roof above the cab and had it laying outside in the sun. It was so hot I could hardly touch it to bring it inside. Sprayed it, put it back outside and the bottom was barely warm.

John
Old 03-15-2005, 03:42 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Marietta , Georgia
I have been looking and I am leaning towards the b-quiet. Mainly because of price, 50 sq. ft. cost $130 where as 36 sq. ft. of Dynamat cost $250. And if I buy it on ebay I can get it even cheaper, around $100. I am just curious, for those of you that bought the b-quiet, which type did you get? I am looking at the bquiet ultimate. Another question what should the temperature rating be? For the bquiet ultimate the temp rating is 311 degrees.

I called the Soundowner, noise deadener used in yachts, and they are sending me some samples. They wouldn't quote me a price over the phone for some reason, but they are sending me a price sheet.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 03-15-2005, 06:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
what about the neoprene sound deadener I saw on Ebay? Looked like a good product at a fair price. Supposedly used in Boeing aircraft.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Marietta , Georgia
Looked at the neoprene and was concerned about the ease of installing it. From what I read you have to use spray adhesive or something similar to install it. I have never really had any luck with the spray adhesives, could be I was just using the wrong kind. With the others they already have adhesive on them.

Was thinking and realized all I need on the floors is a pad that will help reduce the noise, I don't need any heat shield. The only thing I need a heat shield on is the doghouse cover. Am I right in thinking this way?

Brian
Old 03-16-2005, 09:58 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

b-quiet!

85/345,

I put in about two layers of the Ultimate (self-adherent) and then put down one layer of the V-comp. I used 3-M spray adhesive on the doors with excellent adhesion results at 24hours. I now drive around with more of a "bank-vault" feel and the stereo sounds "tighter" if that is the right way to say it.
There is no adhesive required for floors but is may help to keep it from bunching up under the floormats.

IceKing02
Old 03-16-2005, 10:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Ceramic spheres source. They have a range of products.

http://www.hytechsales.com/prod1000.html
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
That stuff sounds amazing, R-24 with 15 mil thickness! Maybe I should take off the inner skin and coat the inside of the outer skin? Seems like it would make it nice and cozy.

Kind of expensive, I guess.
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I wouldn't get to excited about that R-24 number. Has to be "modified" test. Still I'll use it between the sheets in combination with the reflective foil with a foam cord.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85/345
...I have never really had any luck with the spray adhesives, could be I was just using the wrong kind...
I've used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive in the past, but it's no good if you need resistance to high temperatures. It will soften and melt, leaving a gooey mess on everything it touches. This is especially true if you're gluing headliner material or convertible tops - ask me how I know!

The trick is to use a true contact cement, whether aerosol or liquid. J. C. Whitney offered a special spray adhesive for use with its soundproofing material, and it has proven very satisfactory. It stuck firmly and quickly to the underside of my doghouse and hasn't shown any signs of loosening over about 1-1/2 years.

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85/345
Was thinking and realized all I need on the floors is a pad that will help reduce the noise, I don't need any heat shield. The only thing I need a heat shield on is the doghouse cover. Am I right in thinking this way?

Brian
I would reconsider not thermally insulating the floor. The fan or airflow thru the radiator blows heat everywhere and you are sitting right over it.

John
Old 04-01-2005, 10:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I used some rubber underlayment left over from a flooring project to insulate around my dog house. Seems to make a nice difference in the sound level. I intend to double it and lay it under the front carpet. I also found a source for a stick on padding that could go up inside the firewall area...very reasonable. I bought a sample..it looks like it would do a great job. Check it out here---
http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cf...LogFrom=Search
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
what about the neoprene sound deadener I saw on Ebay? Looked like a good product at a fair price. Supposedly used in Boeing aircraft.
Uh-oh. I wouldn't try anything used by Boeing.

They need to re-insulate 1600 aircraft because of an insulation 'fire hazard'.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote

« RV info | Top | RV Makeover »