Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Angry Shore power cords stolen

Caution!!! Within the last week, the power cords were stolen from several RV's in a storage facility near where I live. A couple months ago, some one stole my aluminum motor scooter carrier off the back of my MH while it was in storage. I have heard tales about break-ins of newer units for the electronics
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Thanks for the information. They must want the copper / aluminum / metal.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Thanks for the information. They must want the copper / aluminum / metal.
THAT IT!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
It's a problem. This summer a group stole many of the electrical connections at the FMCA Convention at the State Fair Grounds in St. Paul, MN. They got caught. They were stealing for the copper content.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I wonder how long it will be before they realize Airstreams are made from expensive aluminum?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I wonder how long it will be before they realize Airstreams are made from expensive aluminum?
Thay alread have.I talked with a person that had his 2005 stole but was lucky and got his back minus the VIN data plate.I will not go into the trouble he had over that.
Also if your Honda gen is out they will steal that along with you shore cord.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
The house at the end of the cul-de-sac being built had the copper and any other metal stolen. Big bucks in damage - they said they would have rather paid the theives and give them the copper vice the repairs to the structure that had to be done with all the cutting the metal thieves did.

It will only get worse. I went to HD tonight to buy some black iron pipe for longer lengths for some pipe clamps - 2 pieces 3/4" by 36" cost me $16 pre-threaded. I could thread them myself but the long lengths were the same price per foot and not thread on each end. Go figure.....
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Those Bastards! I guess this is what the CCW law will correct. It is a shame what this world is coming to.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Wow!

Some people!

About a year ago a fellow over in South Bend Indiana - close to the old Studebaker plant - was stealing power line from underground runs that were shut off for a major renovation project. It turned into a great business netting tens of thousands of dollars in copper wire at the local scrap yards. Authorities couldn't seem to catch him.

They finally did, when he attempted to steal the mother of all cables! One tiny problem - it was live - his stealing ended that day - forvever.
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
A retired FBI friend of mine sent me pictures of a guy who climbed to the top of a telephone pole and was in the middle of cutting copper cables when he cut the wrong one. It burned most of his clothes off and left gaping open wounds in addition to charing his body. Serves him right. The pictures were pretty gross.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I bought a 6' length of thermostat wire today that cost me $3.72! For the record, thermostat wire is no bigger than telephone wiring.

I also priced out an "OEM" muffler and tailpipe for my '95 Chevy pickup yesterday. Parts only were $450!!! I hated to do it, but I bought an aftermarket muffler and tailpipe for $130 - probably made in China and shipped across the pond - then trucked or railroaded across the country to Maine!

Also yesterday, I bought a half pint of Half & Half coffee creamer at a "Quick Stop" type store and it cost me $3.99. I normally buy this with the weekly groceries and, in all honesty, I had not paid much attention to the price.

If this keeps up, we'll be "full-timin'" and spending our life in the National Parks and other similar habitats. Hmmmmm - that may not be so bad!!!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
These posts remind me of an accidental drowning I worked when I was a detective. When the first stainless steel boat propellers came out they were being stolen like crazy and sold for big bucks at 100% profit. One brain surgeon who was in the propeller thieving business figured out that if he hit a marina, he could make a haul. The only problem was that he had tied a rope around his waist that he was stringing them on as he removed them from the high dollar fishing rigs one after the other. To make a long story short, when we dragged his lifeless carcass out of the water the rope with eight stainless propellers was still around his waist! The moral of that incident was: Never steal more weight than you can swim with!"

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
I've considered changing out the 30 amp hardwire power cord for a Marinco twist on arrangement but am concerned about how easy it would be for someone to steal the power cord if I left the trailer with the AC unit running. I understand that if they want the current power cord then they could just unplug, cut the cord and run like crazy. It will just cost a little more money to replace the yellow Marinco cord.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Marinco External Plugs a Bad Idea?

Interesting-- does this imply that having a shore power cable that runs all the way inside your unit might be more secure against theft than the Marinco twist-lock plugs that have become so popular?
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Heh-- looks like David just beat me to it!

My thoughts on this are that the Marinco is easier to steal, so crimes of opportunity become more likely. It's kind of like using The Club on your car. The device can be defeated, but it takes effort, while stealing a car without The Club is easier.

Maybe the same with Marinco versus old-school?
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 PM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Copper pipe has become the hot item in Phoenix. Thieves are cutting any piece that sticks out of the ground off and selling it as scrap. The latest theft was at the Animal Shelter where the animals were left without water until repairs could be made.
Copper thieves steal pipes, cuts water to animal shelter - Cop Shop - EastValleyTribune.com

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Heh-- looks like David just beat me to it!

My thoughts on this are that the Marinco is easier to steal, so crimes of opportunity become more likely. It's kind of like using The Club on your car. The device can be defeated, but it takes effort, while stealing a car without The Club is easier.

Maybe the same with Marinco versus old-school?
My thoughts exactly. If I do make the change, I wonder if there is a way to secure the cable thereby making it more of a challenge to steal?

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Power Cord Security...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
I've considered changing out the 30 amp hardwire power cord for a Marinco twist on arrangement but am concerned about how easy it would be for someone to steal the power cord if I left the trailer with the AC unit running. I understand that if they want the current power cord then they could just unplug, cut the cord and run like crazy. It will just cost a little more money to replace the yellow Marinco cord.
Well, we have 50 Amp service in our 30' Classic with a detached cord. It's black; you do NOT have to buy it in yellow if you do not want to.

I ALWAYS loop the power cord through the rear stabilizer jack and put a large lock that I bought at a Harley dealer on the cord such that the lock is over both pieces of the cord loop that goes through the stabilizer jack. This way someone will have to cut the cable to get it away from the trailer.

Certainly not foolproof but it will be much easier for them to move next door and take my neighbors cord.

As a matter of course we always lock everything we own with the exception of hoses and filters. I guess I could loop the hoses but I don't see that being a hot item for theft. I could be wrong.

Regards,

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
After my 3rd incident of copper theft at our weekend property I am installing an alarm system that works across the cell network. It seems ideal for RV's that are stored outside since a solar panel and a pair of 6v batteries would run the thing completely off the grid.

The last time the copper theives hit me they stole the powercords of off a microwave, a coffee pot and a fan...musta been worth at least $.25

The Deputy I called said they had just caught 2 guys that were tossing a rope over live rural powerlines and dragging them down with a car.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #20
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
They stole the refrigerated drinking fountain off a local bike trail the other day.
As this is happening everywhere, among other crimes, it makes one wonder how many of the people we come in contact with each day are in reality slimeballs??
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote