Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Slimeballs INDEED!!!!

But the real pond scum are the outfits that BUY the stolen stuff from these guys!!!
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Q) "so, how did you come by these wires?"
A) "i found them"

Q) "you FOUND power lines?"
A) "yeah, ummmm, they were just laying there in my yard"

Q) "so, 400' of wire was just laying there in your yard?"
A) "yeah, must have fallen out of a plane or something."

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Stole

After I had my Honda 2000 generator STOLEN .I mounted my new one on a piece of aluminum plate and park the trailer wheel on the plate.
I hope this will slow them up while I call the law and get my shot gun out.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #24
DFK
2 Rivet Member

I don't have any ideas on how to prevent cord theft but do have a way of perhaps minimizing the cost of replacing the cord.

I wanted the convenience of a detachable cord but didn't want to spend the money for a marinco setup. Found a 30 amp 110 v recessed twist lock inlet plug manufactured by Leviton comparable to the 30 amp plug sold by Marinco, but without the water proof cover. (Cost about 25 dollars as I recall) I mounted a handy box for the Leviton plug inside the service bay of my 67 Caravel, mounted the plug in the handy box using a standard 4x4 cover plate with a single round opening and wired the twist lock inlet plug into the umbilical circuit.

The box and inlet plug are now inside the trailer and out of the weather so no water proof inlet cover or cord plug needed. Bought a 25 foot 30 amp RV extension cord at wall mart. Cut of the plug on the trailer end and attached a 30 amp non-water proof twist lock plug to mate with the twist lock inlet plug in the trailer. I plug the cord into the outlet in the service bay and run the cord to the outside of the trailer as though it was the permanently attached OEM cord. Now if someone wants the copper, they have to cut the cord outside the trailer not simply unplug it. It is relatively cheap to replace the cord by simply buying another extension cord from wal mart and salvaging the trailer end twist plug from inside the trailer from the remaining piece of the cord that was cut and reusing the plug on the replacement cord.
DFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Solutions?

The floor in one of the closets in my MH is the top of a compartment that holds the power cord when it's not in use. I plan to make that floor removable so when I stow the power cord it will drop all the way into the compartment and no longer be accessible from the exterior of the MH.

There is a slight possibility that, given my age, I'll go to plug in and be unable to locate the cord. Oh well - that's what solar is for.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Locally here in my part of Florida scrap dealers have to record identification info for sellers. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
This happened in Ohio,renters moved out of 60' mobile home,the next morning there was no siding left on trailer. Crack heads need their fix. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote