Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2004, 12:25 PM   #1

Seat Belt Dilemma

I am a new Argosy 28' MH owner, and would like to add a third seatbelt to the sleeper sofa. The two seatbelts that are already installed bolt through the floor and my first thought was to simply remove the two bolts securing the "inside" belts, add a new seat belt for the middle of the sofa, and reattach the bolts. However, when I look under the vehicle, the area below the sofa contains the gas tank which prevents access to the floor area under the sofa. I'm afraid to remove the existing bolts, because I don't know whether they thread into the frame or into a nut that is obscured by the gas tank. I want to avoid having to drop the gas tank to get access to the bolts. Has anyone ever worked on these bolts and belts?
77Argosy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
There is also an aluminum skin on the bottom of the floor framework. The bolts are just through plywood but the nuts are going to be a lot of work to get at.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The seat belt retainers DO have a bolt under the floor. Normally the bolt goes through the floor and a frame member to give the greatest amount of anchor ability.

Depending on your floor plan you might be better off adding a seatbelt or 2 to the bed in the rear. The floor/frame is easily accessible there That is really the only reason they say not to occupy the space while under way.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I wonder if the nut is welded to the frame? In other words, if I back out one of the existing bolts, will I lose the nut? Also, is there room to work between gas tank and floor without removing the tank. What I really need to do is replace the two captains chairs that were originally installed in the living area, but have now been removed. Any idea where to find these, or whether I could use some captains chairs from a wrecked SUV or minivan?
77Argosy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:52 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
From what I have seen the nut is NOT welded. and I don't think there is room 'tewwn the tank and floor to work. You could drop the lower wrap at the tank, it is hinged at the bottom, and see. To do that you need to remove the screws at the top, just below the rub rail.

The chairs were mounted on a pedestal that was bolted to the floor. they were not designed for seating while in motion. If you can find chairs like they install in newer MH you could bolt them in with belts and have 2 more seats.

The newer style are a flexsteel seat.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote