Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Rock Guard Placement Need Your Opinion

Hello Folks

Need your opinion as to where the best place is to mount the guard to protect the towed. Manufacturer suggests the rear bumper.

I've seen various installations from hanging on the receiver hitch, on the bumper, hanging loose on swivels, etc.

On my rig mounting realestate is limited due to spare tire stowage, space is available forward of that behind the regular mud flaps and mounting on the bumper is not desirable due to hitch receiver, ladder step, towed connector etc.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards
Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
I'm going thru the same delemia. But I keep coming back to the same solution which is to mount the stone guard just in front of the bumper. In my case I have training wheels so right in front of them. Well take some cutting and the solution is surely not perfect but prpbably best that I can do. I should tell you that I tow either a toad or my boat. When towing my toad I use a screen ( same as the screen used on gravel/sand haulers) that is installed just below the hitch, tow bars and front fascia of toad. Works great. Something I found on the internet. But I have this stone guard so would like to install it as well.
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
We use the Enkay Rock Tamers. They attach to the ball mount. The most important thing is to be sure to trim them so they don't kick up small debris from the road (happens if they are too low to the ground).

Here is the link to my blog that shows them on the TV: Tin Wheeler Adventures: Monster Mud Flaps

hope this helps.

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

https://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I also use Rock Tamers, which fit on the shank of my AirSafe hitch. Make sure they are at least 3 inches about the roadway.
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Thanks for you that have replied. I was under the beast and decided to put it ahead of the spare using the alternate mounting suggested by mfg (1" x 1/8 angle iron. In my case this was 88" long and will post fotos when done. Not sure if this will do anything but... wait n see.

Steve
Old 09-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Took our toad on a road trip without motorhome and found a gator(truck tread) of half a tire on edge, wiped out the foglights and black skid marks on the bumper, all repaired relatively easy. On our motorhome we have regular mud flaps and a full width flap under the bumper, and I wanted more protection so I installed wire mesh behind grill to protect the a/c coils. Looked at a fiberglass screen design that hooked under the toad and almost to the MH like a trampoline but would be a pain to attach and detach each time. Your rock tamer sound better.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Good that you both were safe and thanks for the info. I am a bit reluctant in mounting on the rear bumper as it is fiberglass with a thin tin angle there. My best place is just ahead of then spare tire well but not enough clearance to hang the angle iron directly so have fabricated an extension that will be welded together on Mon. Rain got in the way so could not complete. Will post pix later.

Steve
Old 09-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
PO had installed the angle iron and rear mud flap, managed to attach to frame behind tire and in front of f/g bumper tight but best place for it. I had to enlarge hole for 2x2 hitch opening due to my putting a wheel on the bottom of it, when I heard hitch scrapping on driveway out of gas station driveway. Haven't heard it since as I have become accustomed to being very watchful of angle of entry and exits.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Dave:
Concur with your entry and exit recommendations as I also have "scraped bottom" on one or two occasions without a towed. The Reese hitch on my rig has a couple of skid plates which appear to have served the purpose as well as the spare. Not sure how a towed and attaching plates would survive in such a circumstance.

Getting back to the original question: Where is the best place to mount the big mud flap? Any takers?

Steve
Old 09-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Update

The rock guard is installed. Had to put it ahead of the spare and is midway between the rear axle and rear bumper. On my rig the bumper area is congested. Will see if this is effective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0342.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	196149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0344.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	196150  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0347.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	196151  
Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Previous owner installed swival training wheels where the Reese Skid plate was installed. I have heard these wheels connect with the pavement occassionally. I would guess that they were installed to stop the Toad connection from hitting the pavement. Look ugly but work.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Once I learned my lesson to be cautious on the entry/exit conditions to avoid especially with a towed that the training wheels would not be necessary. In any case, considering the distance of towed front end from coach and the angle of contact the towed front end would absorb a considerable amount of downward force whether or not having training wheels or skid plate. Also, if the wheels were large enough to keep the towed from burying itself in the pavement, the effect would be a considerable upward force on the coach at the rear rail extension. Think of trying to jack up your coach with an old style bumper jack. So my operative phrase is "keep your eyes peeled".

Steve
Old 09-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Just for clarification. The training wheels do not have any affect on the toad. They basically just keep the rear of the mh from hitting the pavement. I have a drop hitch which connects from the MH receiver and the Blue OX tow bars. The previous owner towed a Jeep which must have had a lower towing point on his toad than my toad has. This connection would be quite easy to hit the pavement when entering/leaving some gas stations. Of course I avoided these 99% of the time. I did some recent measuring and I can eliminate this drop connection and still remain within the Blue Ox tolerances. I still intend to leave the training wheels on.