Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2005, 05:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Refrigerator replacement

I thinking of replacing my RM 100 Dometic. I have been looking at the Dometic 2652 or also some Norcold models. Does anyone have any input or advice on which way to go.

Jai
jaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I have owned two Airstreams both with the original Dometic still working. The first was a 1975 Tradewind. The fridge worked great on electric for me but the new owner cleaned it up better and now it works on both gas and electric. That one is 30 years old. My motorhome is a 1982 and I use the three way on each way. It performs beautifully regardless of which way i have it set. That one is 23 years old. One thing you usually don't hear is complaints about the Dometic refrigerators.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Check into the customer service... Get the main customer service #, call it, and see how it is. Is there a phone tree, hold time, or option to leave a message for a callback since they are always busy? This may be an factor...

I have a 2006 Safari 28' and a Dometic RM2662 that just died. Went to the Dometic authorized service and had to so a 3 hour test as required by dometic. Once test is done, if they find any issues, they are required to call dometic directly, for dometic to tell them what to do. My tech waited on a "service center only hotline" for 45 min the first time, 67 min the second time, only for them to tell them to replace the whole frindge since it was a "new model" and no circuit boards are availible to try as a fix...

I tried to call them myself on the "customer support" line and the "warranty hotline" (both seperate numbers) and get a phone tree that leads to a phone que... I waited 1 hour and 30 min to get to a live person to have a plastic bin replaced under warranty.

Dont get me wrong, I like Dometic products, but service is a factor for me...

Dont know hoe Norcold is on their service side...

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Jai,

I just purchased a new 2652 Dometic to replace my tired RM-100 on eBay. There are many listings for Dometic and Norcold models that will fit the space left by the RM-100. I paid $735 plus $113 shipping for a new in the box 2652. The local Airstream dealer wanted $1259. The install looks to be fairly simple. I removed the old refrigerator today and will install the new one as time permits this week. Two people on the forum have already asked for the RM-100 parts so some people are making the old ones work. Good luck! Dale
Dale M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I was just telling everone how good My Refridgertor was working. It went out on Me last trip ! "That the last time I brag about some thing". I checked the tag on the Refridgerator and it is a RM1100? Can sone one out there tell Me the best one to replace it with? I was thinking about the 3-way one.
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:07 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

I happened to be looking at the fridge vent duct work going through the inside of a tambour door the other day, and a sticker on it said that only Dometic fridges must be hooked up to this vent. Is this true, or is it one of those 'creative' marketing ploys?
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:16 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Infant mortality

Both of my recent Dometics suffered from infant mortality. The first one lasted a couple of months; the current one died on the second trip. Both progressively lost cooling power; the first lost cooling over several trips and the second lost cooling over a period of about 2 days on a single trip. I am still waiting for a replacement for my current refrigerator.

Once past infant mortality, they tend to last a long time.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #8
Contributing Member

Getting close

I was at the dealer this morning and they expect my replacement refrigerator to be delivered late today according to the shipping trace. I should be able to pick up the trailer early next week and get it back under the cover at the storage yard. Plenty of time to get some things done in the trailer before our next trip starting 8/31.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-19-2005, 04:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman
I thinking of replacing my RM 100 Dometic. I have been looking at the Dometic 2652 or also some Norcold models. Does anyone have any input or advice on which way to go.

Jai
I have owned and installed both Norcold and Dometic. Both are fine refrigerators.
I prefer the Dometic only because I have had more Dometics than Norcolds.
Check out the thread titled "Cheap Appliances...". You can find some really good advice about purchasing a new fridge.
I am a firm believer in replacing my fridge BEFORE it quits on me. When will it decide to quit? When we are getting ready to leave for a trip, OR while we are on a trip. Not the best time for it to happen.
How many of us have thirty year old fridges at home? RV fridges have some of their "vital" components that are exposed to extremes in temp and moisture. Get rid of it before it decides to leave you when IT wants to.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:22 PM   #10
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
We're replacing our Dometic in our '89 Excella.

OLD: 2601
NEW: RM2801R

We'd like to use the raised oak panels from the old unit, but I can't figure out how to get them out.

I have the trim strip out and the panel itself moves up and down, but I don't know how the aluminum frames come apart.

Thanks in advance for any help.

jim
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:28 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreExcella
We'd like to use the raised oak panels from the old unit, but I can't figure out how to get them out.

I have the trim strip out and the panel itself moves up and down, but I don't know how the aluminum frames come apart.

jim
If I remember right, either the owner or the installation manual has a section on replacing or reversing the panels. If you have no manual for the old box, perhaps the manual for the new box will give you some hints.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-19-2005, 10:08 PM   #12
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
If I remember right, either the owner or the installation manual has a section on replacing or reversing the panels. If you have no manual for the old box, perhaps the manual for the new box will give you some hints.
Thanks John...

Neither the old or new manual mentions it (just how to reverse the way the door opens).

jim
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I just tried to order a 3-Way Dometic Refigerator at Camping World an thay said that they don't make no more. Thay said it's to dangerous. Is that true?????
Old 08-22-2005, 01:07 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2 (or 3) Dangerous?

What did they say was too dangerous? The multiple system or gas operation?

BY the way - are auxillary venting fans still recommended for gas reefers? When I use mine it takes the fridge down another 5 degrees or so. I recently replaced the still functional original fan. The old fan had just too much blade whir. A 4" PC from Radio Shack did wonders!

I also revived my old Dometic door and freezer seals from W**Mart stock seals! Works fine and about $150.00 less than official replacements!
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Thay just said "to Dangerous". I just called Dometic Home Office. thay still make it. thay said that a new one to them "To Dangerous" then I told them that it was Camping World, all thay siad was "O-WELL"
Old 08-22-2005, 02:44 PM   #16
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirConditioner
BY the way - are auxillary venting fans still recommended for gas reefers? When I use mine it takes the fridge down another 5 degrees or so. I recently replaced the still functional original fan. The old fan had just too much blade whir. A 4" PC from Radio Shack did wonders!
In hot weather, a vent fan is always worthwhile.

It doesn't have to be a big or noisy fan. After all, the refrigerator is designed to operate with thermal airflow only. Even the little solar fans provide a real cooling boost.

The boost you get somewhat depends on the individual trailer model, also. My 28' has real good thermal airflow while my 25' did not. The wood box around the microwave in the 25' badly restricted airflow while the 28' has notning mounted above the refrigerator.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-22-2005, 02:47 PM   #17
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirConditioner
What did they say was too dangerous? The multiple system or gas operation?
Camping World is a poor place to go for advice. They push what they happen to have available and disparage anything else.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Camping Wold going to the last place I go for parts. I called all over here it Bremerton and around Tacoma, WA. Ever one tells Me that there is no one Make a 3-Way Refrigertor that well go in the replaces of RM100 hole. Can you give Me the number of the 3-Way Refrigertor go's in the hole?? I have a 1982 31ft. Airstream.

Thank's for the help. I'm just lost on this one. It's getting to be a big deal. I was thinking that all I had to do was just call and it was a done deal but it's not!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:51 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalsetto
Camping Wold going to the last place I go for parts. I called all over here it Bremerton and around Tacoma, WA. Ever one tells Me that there is no one Make a 3-Way Refrigertor that well go in the replaces of RM100 hole. Can you give Me the number of the 3-Way Refrigertor go's in the hole?? I have a 1982 31ft. Airstream.

Thank's for the help. I'm just lost on this one. It's getting to be a big deal. I was thinking that all I had to do was just call and it was a done deal but it's not!
I had a heck of a time trying to figure out what you are saying here. May I suggest reading and editing your posts before sending. From what I understand most newer units dont offer the 3-way option. I suggest you find an older working RM100 if you really insist on the 3-way. Btw I have never found my 12 volt option to work that well anyway.
jaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #20
Contributing Member

I drew the black marble again

My trailer was supposed to be ready today with the replacement refrigerator. Only two things went wrong:
  • They sent the wrong refrigerator.
  • The shippers dropped the new refrigerator in the corner and bent it severely.

The refriegrator that came was the all-black model for the CCD line instead of the stainless front that I had. I suggested that the dealer simply switch the doors, but the new box was bent too severely to install. I wouldn't want the all-black model in my trailer, anyway.

The replacement is due at the dealer the 26th. They will install it that day, test it overnight, and I will pick up the trailer Saturday the 27th or Monday the 29th at the latest. Kind of tight for an 8/31 departure, but I have no choice.

If things fall through again, we'll take a cooler and dry ice. Big thing is to keep the insulin cool.
WBCCI #9632