Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2005, 10:13 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
If things fall through again, we'll take a cooler and dry ice. Big thing is to keep the insulin cool.
I rooting for ya that your new fridge will get installed in time.

If the fridge has been removed, skip this paragraph:
While we were waiting for our new one, I used the old one as an ice box, just put the ice in the crisper drawers, and put the stuff that had to stay cold on the ice. Dry ice is great if you can get it since it evaporates instead of melting, so you can put it up top.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:57 PM   #22
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
If the fridge has been removed, skip this paragraph:
The old fridge is still in place; they noticed the problems before they removed it. If the new one is late, I'll use dry ice on the top shelf wrapped in newspaper and run the little battery fan inside to circulate the air. The number of newspaper layers on the dry ice allows me to roughly adjust the temperature in the box.

This is a fairly short trip and the main thing is to keep some insulin cool and a few cool drinks for pit stops on the road. A bonus is keeping some breakfast makings cool since we will be eating most other meals out.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:18 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Geez, for all the trouble some folks seem to have with these propane fridges, why not replace with an apartment sized 120 vac unit? I was disappointed to find one in ours when we bought it, but after reading all the complaints and problems folks seem to have with them, I am sure glad I have one in mine. They cool down a lot faster than a gas unit , too. If you want to get fancy, and are going on a long trip, just run the EU2000i in the bed of the truck and run an extension cord to the trailer.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
My 27 year old frig seems to be working fine; however, I lived in fear of it not getting cold on LP or electric. It also took such a long time to cool down that food needed to be stored in an ice chest until it cooled enough to be safe. I got two fans to put in the bottom of it, which has helped a lot. BUT, we also bought a small frig at Lowe's that is , of course, electric. It fits between the front couch and the cabinet, doubling as a little table when you sit on the couch. There is only my husband and me, so we decided to use the middle bed and put in this frig. for peace of mind. It worked wonderfully for us and even makes ice. We can still sit on the front couch with it in place, and could pull out the bed any time we wanted to move the frig out. We love it. With two refrigerators, we have lots of room.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
By the way, I found Camping World to be not helpful at all last week end when my A/C quit. They told me it would cost $700. to fabricate a new "pan" for an Airstream, PLUS the cost of the new Coleman. I called Inland RV. They told me to get a Carrier. Camping World would not install a Carrier. A small RV repair shop told me "sure we install Carrier on old Airstreams all the time". They had it done in one day. I was ready to pay for that new "pan" until I talked to Inland. I wonder if CW knew the answer to my problem and just didn't want me to know?
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
I called Inland RV. They told me to get a Carrier. Camping World would not install a Carrier. A small RV repair shop told me "sure we install Carrier on old Airstreams all the time". They had it done in one day. I was ready to pay for that new "pan" until I talked to Inland. I wonder if CW knew the answer to my problem and just didn't want me to know?
I installed the Carrier AirV by myself. I even had to cut the hole in the roof. The pictures of my installation are n my Member Photos section. The modification that has to be made to the Carrier is MINOR. So minor that it should be considered an after-thought.
If you need a GOOD A/C at a very reasonable price check out this link: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=16177
If you need any help let me know!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:40 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Sorry "jaiman" I just said as I see it and short. Next time I'll nake it longer.
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #28
Contributing Member

In and being tested

My (2nd) new refrigerator arrived at the dealer at 3:30 this afternoon and was installed by 4 PM. They will test it overnight and I will pick it up in the morning when they open at 9AM.

I saw the first replacement still sitting in the shop which had been dropped on a corner. It was the all-black model used in the CCD and I would not have been happy with it. My old (and new) one has the stainless steel front.

Now I can leave for Eureka Springs early next week with a functioning refrigerator.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-26-2005, 04:17 PM   #29
Contributing Member

By the way

One thing I noticed on the new refrigerator was that all of the tubing in the rear is anodized flat black. My first one had natural aluminum tubing. I suspect that the flat black tubing may transfer heat to the air faster and make the box more efficient.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-26-2005, 05:03 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
My (2nd) new refrigerator arrived at the dealer at 3:30 this afternoon and was installed by 4 PM.

Now I can leave for Eureka Springs early next week with a functioning refrigerator.
Huzzah! Enjoy your trip. I'm posting from Circle Pines RV Park near Williams, AZ - we just pulled in at 2:30 - it's 4pm now. Looks like a swell place so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CirclePines-eWeb.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	14250  
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote