Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Questions From A Newbie

I currently have a small motorhome and thinking about going to an Airstream. I am very new to travel trailers and have some basic questions. I am sure these have been covered before in this forum and I have done some searches, but have not found the answers. My questions are:
1. As a general rule of thumb, what max length/weight Airstream can you handle with a 2013 Chevy Suburban 2 wheel drive?
2. Why doesn't AS offer a 30' in a front bedroom floor plan?
3. Why can't you get a mounted propane generator in a AS? I understand weight is always a concern, but this would be a huge benefit and worth going to a smaller model to get it.
4. Where can I find MSRP price lists and available options for each model?

Any information on the above is appreciated.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You can get an onboard, propane generator in an Interstate.

Will let the serious knowledge-bearers here answer the rest of your questions.

Good luck!

Maggie
Old 10-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
1. As a general rule of thumb, what max length/weight Airstream can you handle with a 2013 Chevy Suburban 2 wheel drive?

-- All of them. What model suburban? (1500 or 2500)?

-- Just guessing, but not enough demand?

3. Why can't you get a mounted propane generator in a AS? I understand weight is always a concern, but this would be a huge benefit and worth going to a smaller model to get it.

-- Again, just guessing, but I suspect not a very high percentage of buyers would desire this. Plus that would be a unique accessory their techs would need to support.

-- Colonial Airstream - Airstream Travel Trailer, Bambi, Flying Cloud, International Signature, Serenity, Classic Limited, Interstate, Sport would be a good start.

Qualifier: many people, including myself, feel that I'm sometimes full of.......
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
My questions are:
As the owner of an Airstream Interstate class B motorhome, I can't really answer questions #1 or #2. But for #3, since my Interstate has a 2.5kW Onan propane generator, I think I can answer that. It's not just a matter of weight (about 125 pounds) but also volume. These generators are not exactly small (22×16¼×14 in their enclosures). Since a generator can't be mounted inside a trailer, and it's too tall to fit between the frame rails underneath (where it's mounted on an Interstate), you'd have no choice but to mount it on the A-frame near the tongue next to the propane tanks and battery box— exactly where you don't need more weight, regardless of trailer size.

As for #4, any Airstream dealer should have that info.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
Regarding the generator, the Honda 2000 super quiet units are small and take up little room, light weight for easy handling; about $950 each. We have used 2 in the past and joined them together for 4000 watt, more than enough power, very easy to start. Then on the front of the AS, when ordered with the generator wiring, it is a simple plug in to the generator feed outlet. Otherwise, use the standard AS chord and plug into the standard feed outlet on the back of the AS and run it to the generators. Honda makes a small panel that joins 2 units together and provides the proper outlet for the RV that needs a full 30amp service.

Airstream, Inc :: Floorplans They do have a 30FB(Front Bedroom) with the added rear bunk. Not sure if you can order it without the bunk but a dealer can tell you or better yet, a quick call to the helpful people at Airstream.

Airstream, Inc :: Travel Trailers
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I currently have a small motorhome and thinking about going to an Airstream. I am very new to travel trailers and have some basic questions. I am sure these have been covered before in this forum and I have done some searches, but have not found the answers. My questions are:

Any information on the above is appreciated.
You are asking trailer related questions in the General Motorhome forum and might get more meaningful responses in another forum. Re. your questions:
  1. Check the towing specs for the vehicle you have in mind and see how they match up with the trailer you have in mind.
  2. Ask Airstream.
  3. Ask Airstream.
  4. Ask any Airstream dealer.
Good luck with your quest,
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Sorry, didn't realize I was in the motorhome forum. But you guys did a good job answering my questions. thanks
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Airstream Pacific Northwest | George Sutton RV, Eugene, Oregon

This is Sutton RV in Oregon. You'll notice a "build you own" button at the top of the page. You can pick your model, options and get pricing. But remember to negotiate.

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote