Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Propane regulators ?

I packed up and took the coach out yesterday to get it out for some excersize and to get some propane.
Now the propane system is not working properly. The stove was very slow to light and the flame on high is more like the low setting before. And I ran out of hot water in the shower.
The hot water heater does not sound like the usual blast furnace either.
I went to ask if the propane seller had any issues been reported, no problem there.

Now thinking it might be the regulator. So , has anyone replaced their regulator.
I haven't seen that type before, is it easy to find?

Any other ideas about this situation?

Cheers Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	275843  
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I've been out to the shops around here , including An RV repair place.
Only. See the small round ones with smaller hose size.

The guys at the RV place said to use the available ones.

But I'm wondering if the volume of those smaller ones would cover all of the systems in the coach?

Thoughts?

Cheers Richard
Old 11-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Hey Richard,
I replaced mine a couple years ago. Had a similar situation as yours, low flame on stove top and with stove top on no other appliance would ignite. Replaced the regulator with one of the readily available RV style and everything has worked fine ever since. We use our oven quite a bit too, never any volume or pressure problems.

One thing I would do before you replace it is to turn off the tank valve, wait a few seconds, then crank it open very slowly, real slow. There is some safety device that is a leak detector of sorts that will reduce flow to a trickle when there is a larger than usual volume of flow. I had that happen once when working on the appliances and everything was pretty much bled out. So when I turned the tank valve back on, I had a rush of volume to fill the lines all at once. It tripped the safety device and had a very low flame on stove top.

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
I agree with Mike completely...he has covered the bases....my guess is that it is not the regulator, but the check valve he is referring to. In any event I would shut the main valve off and then back on slowly. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Regulator

I have also had the safety device thing kick in when using other appliances directly from my tank (appliance had its own regulator). If the safety device is not the problem, The regulator could be bad. Some regulators can be adjusted. You need a manometer, they are easy to make out of clear tubing, water, a board and a yardstick. I use a compressed air nozzle with a rubber tip, Supply end connected to my manometer and the nozzle pressed over the gas outlet and read the inches of water on the manometer. Handy to have for diagnosing propane issues.

In the past, I have found that regulators that need adjusting are better off being replaced. I replaced a regulator in an RV dealer parking lot while on a trip. It is easy to do. Get the proper style regulator for your hose connections. If connections require it, use pipe dope when assembling the new regulator and test for leaks after assembly using a soapy water solution that will allow you to see a bubble forming.

Good luck
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
If you do need one after dong the slow open test, I would imagine the "Standard" ones from an RV shop would be just fine - after all the appliances they must feed on any other make of trailer would be pretty much identical to those in our trailers.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Thanks Mike for the tip. It corrected the problem completely.

Before it was done there was some gas venting/ leaking from the top part of the regulator. So I had just found that with some soapy water and shut off the main valve.
I then popped in to let the area breath a bit. And read your post.

So I went back out with more soapy water, and very slowly turned the main valve back on, and the venting/leak was gone. So I came back in and tried the stove, then the water heater. All is now back to normal and no sign of further leaking.
I'll probably track down the proper regulator and replace this one. I don't think it's supposed to leak even a fail safe setting.
But for this important cooking holiday it looks like I'm set to go.
Thanks to all for the helpful replys, and
HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!

Cheers Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	275866  
Old 11-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
GREAT! Easy fix, ALOHA and happy thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Love the easy fixes! That was great fortune Richard!
Old 11-24-2016, 04:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Yep got to be thankful for those self curing fixes.
And for being in this supportive community that will tip you on to how to do them!

Cheers Richard
Old 11-24-2016, 05:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Yep got to be thankful for those self curing fixes.
And for being in this supportive community that will tip you on to how to do them!

Cheers Richard
This team of regular contributors on the forums is truly something to be THANKFUL for on this day, every day for that matter. Our journey through rehabing the rig probably wouldnt have happened without the support and patience of everyone here. Or the process would have been much much different and even more frustrating and difficult. Ive never participated in any other forum, never tackled a project quite like this one. It has pushed me way out of my comfort zone and I think thats GREAT. It is an amazingly supportive community........The Classic Motorhome Get Togethers are icing on the cake to me. Getting to meet and hang out with the faces behind the posts here on the forum. Very grateful and thankful here on Thanksgiving. Now if anyone has any ideas on how to thaw a partially still frozen turkey I would be eternally in your debt!
Old 11-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
On the same topic, propane. My husband usually does all the propane stuff but is out of town. So I checked the tank level I am using and since it was going to be about 24-26 that night I wanted to switch to full tank. Well I turned off the tank switched to the other then slowly turned the full tank on. Propane was coming out of the connection..so turned it off wondering if it was the tank or the connection..next I took the other tank connection and put it on the full tank...same result of leaking propane. I guess the valve is bad. Now to find a place to have it replaced..not easy.

From what I understand it has to be a gas place that is certified. I am in Campbellsville, KY and having no luck on replacing valve locally. Guess I will keep refilling 1 tank til I leave right before Xmas. Any suggestions? Is this the valve, tank is 1998?
badkat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #13
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
This team of regular contributors on the forums is truly something to be THANKFUL for on this day, every day for that matter.
To the ever humble Mr Mayco.

Thanks for being there for people like myself that didn't know about a limiting check valve in the propane. Not that I have ever turned the knob very fast, but will slow it down a bit in the future, thanks to you. Very cool.

Kinda cool to give back what you took when you were a newbie.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
BadKat, sounds like you may be dealing with the portable tanks and plumbing set up on a trailer. Do take care with leaking gas fittings in your propane setup.

A batch of very soapy water and a small paintbrush are a good way to locate where any leaks may be. If there is an issue with the valve on the tank, that may be best dealt by a dealer. But beyond the tank once any leaks are found.
The valve at the tank can be closed alowing any needed repairs to deal with, leaks at joints, replace the regulator etc to be done safely. Then repressurize the system and check your work with the soapy water. No bubbles = good to go.

This is not a good time of year to be out of gas.

Cheers Richard
Old 11-25-2016, 04:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Dealers of rvs have said it has to be a gas company that is certified for valve replacement. Where the hook up is I have felt the gas coming out but once shut off no smell or sound. Just have to find the right repair place.
badkat is online now   Reply With Quote