Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #21
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I will put this out there, though I'm sure it wouldn't make sense for a lot of folks, but my ARB 12v fridge which lives in my truck, is a real blessin when it comes to all this. It runs on both 12v and 110. So if you're preppin for a trip ya can plug the fridge in at home and let it get cold and fill it with stuff and then when ya get where you're going ya can put the stuff in the RV fridge. But also I find when I am on public lands it's sometimes an hour to a market so with the fridge in the truck, I can keep food cold on the way back from the market. And, of course, when I'm out for the day without the trailer, I got cold drinks and can buy things that might spoil like meat from a farmer or ranch. And if I gotta turn off my propane for whatever reason or if the dometic's havin a hard time at elevation, I know I can use the ARB and the food won't spoil. The ARB will go to -3f so I can keep frozen stuff in there but that takes a lotta power so I gotta be careful. Its real efficient though and turns itself off when it ain't coolin. And it's built like a tank.

But I never gotta buy ice or deal with wet/soggy food. I've had it forever for Jeep campin but I'm always usin it with the trailers.

Not for everyone but I love it. Blue ice is a lot cheaper though.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry9000 View Post
I'm curious which brand of folding coolers you use.
Not sure, it's in the storage room. But the biggest problem with folding coolers is the inner liner cracks where it folds over time. I found one who guarantees the liner, and they sent me a new one when mine cracked over the years.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Kelty OK

The Kelty coolers I've had have plenty of insulation, though a bit thinner on the very top. My one beef is the lack of a cooler drain. You can see logic if you want to use a leak free cooler like Kelty. But by either removing contents or juggling a bit you can let out the excess water. And it folds to 1/3 size when done.

I like the suggestion above to cool down your fridge by freezing 1 gallon jugs (or whatever) of drinking water. Cools the fridge, carries cold drinking water you want anyway.
larry9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:24 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have used the same outside storage area for twenty years. We have always turned the propane on and refrigerator a good 24 hours prior to loading, on propane and when traveling in cold weather we have turned the furnace on and now the Alde heating system. Never thought to telling the management as about ten units in the same facility periodically do the same thing.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:39 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
I will put this out there, though I'm sure it wouldn't make sense for a lot of folks, but my ARB 12v fridge which lives in my truck, is a real blessin when it comes to all this. It runs on both 12v and 110. .......
Hi

Any idea how much 12V the ARB pulls while getting cold? I realize it is quite good once it gets to zero.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #26
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
A bit of an aside... While we have shore power at our storage site, we don't have potable water. Since its difficult to get the Airstream to the house, we often take a night at a nearby state park to get the trailer ready to go. Especially true when de winterizing.

You might do something similar if the storage facility doesn't allow an open flame.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #27
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Any idea how much 12V the ARB pulls while getting cold? I realize it is quite good once it gets to zero.

Bob
Bob, we have an Engel (40 qt) that is similar to the ARB. It pulls about 2.5 amps/hr initially, then drops down quite a bit once cold. It's used as a freezer on the boat in lieu of a large/huge ice chest, and we also keep it in the truck when trailering to distant locations.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Quote:
Hi

.... you do of course remove the LP tanks from the AS and empty them when in storage. That way you have no risk from the LP at all.

Bob
Really? smart enough to own an Airstream but not to know that leaving a fire burning unattended while in storage!
Sorry Bob but.................
PS My Traveler is stored at home but I do shut the valves on the LPG tanks when I put her away.
maybe you could use one of these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire detector..jpg
Views:	86
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	288734  
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #29
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Hi

Bob
I ain't had it pull more than 2 amps even when coolin down to freezin. If I'm gonna take it down below 10 degrees farenheit from room temp, I usually try to plug into ac power and spare my battery but once I hadn't fully plugged in the ac and so it didn't auto switch from 12v. Thing cooled from 80 degrees to 5 degrees farenheit overnight while parked with engine off.and never ran the battery down. It is set to shut down when the battery hits 50 percent but it didn't get below 50%.

Once it's cool, it pulls half an amp to an amp every so often to stay at temp. Very efficient.

I am editing this to say it turns out they are realeasing a new version for the first time in a long time. I wouldn't get it right away but this company makes excellent products and I expect this to be a major upgrade.
https://newfridge.arb.com.au/

Also theres bound to be a price drop on the old ones, which are tried, true and built like tanks, as I said.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #30
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Here are some links to frig/freezers...

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Fridge-F...P21327C48.aspx

https://www.engelcoolers.com/mt45f-u1.html
Old 07-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I don't understand the terror of propane appliances. First off, the flame heating the working fluid in the fridge is *NOT* an "open flame." It's enclosed on the fridge itself, and the fridge is also enclosed by the trailer. Second, do you turn off your fridge if you walk away from your trailer while operating the fridge on propane? Do you never leave your house with the water heater or furnace on? (Yes, I realize some people have electric heat in their homes, but it should be easy to see my point here...)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #32
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well what's real funny is a lotta folks that are scared of propane decide to get rid of it by stickin hundreds of pounds of of lithium batteries under their beds. I think I'd rather have the propane.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Strongly second the suggestion by TravlinMan to consider the ARB. Even if you are one to drive with the propane on, going through 100degree temps or steep grades will probably trigger a shutoff on the fridge. By moving the items that must be kept cold into the truck ARB you can accept the AS fridge going to 50 or so. Plus, when you roam around untethered by the AS, it gives you flexibility to get groceries without rushing right back or camp without the AS. It cools fast with little battery draw.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:43 PM   #34
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
Strongly second the suggestion by TravlinMan to consider the ARB. Even if you are one to drive with the propane on, going through 100degree temps or steep grades will probably trigger a shutoff on the fridge. By moving the items that must be kept cold into the truck ARB you can accept the AS fridge going to 50 or so. Plus, when you roam around untethered by the AS, it gives you flexibility to get groceries without rushing right back or camp without the AS. It cools fast with little battery draw.
Getting groceries or meat from ranchers and farms is one of the best things about it. Sometimes I'll go out all day long and don't gotta worry about buyin fresh meat at a ranch or farmers market early in the day. I also spend a night away from the trailer sometimes in my tent and it's very handy then. I think after 10 years, it has paid for itself in ice saving. Not only does it not need ice, but it can make it.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I don't understand the terror of propane appliances.....
Hi

People are not particularly good at evaluating *relative* risk. It is very easy to focus on eliminating an identified risk without seeing how significant it is. It may be that you have a 100X greater risk of fire from a lightning strike than from this or that other source. Setting up lightning rods rather than doing something else rarely pops up into the argument.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote