Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2002, 10:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Now just one

With bittersweet emotions I watched my (now formerly) Airstream 345 motorhome drive off into the darkness this evening. All lights were shining bright as it stopped at the end of the block, waited a few moments for cross traffic to clear, then turned right out of sight. Gone. It struck me that I had never watched my coach being driven before. It also struck me how truly cool the darn thing is. Same thinking made me hesitate on selling it before, but this time I went through with it and am glad it has fallen into good hands.

The new owner seems really nice. He has great plans for the coach and we wish him the best. We enjoyed his company as he ended up spending more time with us then I'm sure he planned. His departure was delayed while we waited for the emergency tire service to replace a surprise flat (and ruined) tire. All this because of a "$370" valve extender I installed (or should say, miss-installed) on the curb side inner dually back in early July. I sure am glad we decided to check the pressure in all the tires before he left!

I remember a post on the old web site where a gentleman from the northwest who worked at Boeing noted that "Airstream motorhomes are a lot like a 747, just a whole lot slower". While I will miss my ground hugging airliner, it will also be nice to be free of the loan payment, insurance, extra storage and license fee. That’s the sweet side of selling it. A few years ago when I started down the path to buy a motorhome in addition to my trailer, my then 9 year old daughter asked “Dad, what are you going to do with two of those things”? I never had a good answer. But they are so cool, how can you own just one?

This motorhome forum has been absolutely great. Thanks to all the many folks who make it the best source of Airstream Classic motorhome information on the web or elsewhere. This site in general has become absolutely huge! Excellent job Andy, and thank you. I will of course continue visiting. I may be down one Airstream, but I not out, I still have my 1969 Overlander. No more having to decide which one to take.

Jim
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 06:26 AM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Jim,
there is only one thing worse than having no camper: that is having two. Talking about split personality.
Like my wife said recently, when I was looking at a 310:
'I hope you are not going to do that to me again and put two of these in our driveway'
I saw your ad and I am sure the buyer was lucky to purchase it from you.
Happy trails
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 09:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Peter.

It's really simple.

It's called spares, or a backup coach.

Works for some, not for others.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 02:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Jim, just because you don't currently own a motorhome, doesn't mean you can't share your experiences here. It might give a "vicarious" feeling of still having one.
Hope the new owner will join us as well.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 02:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I hope it stayed in SE MI, maybe I will see it on the road. Went to Nashville last weekend and only saw 3 AS TTs (and 1 Streamline), no MHs. All the trailers were newer.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 04:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I'm 70 miles SE of Nashville but receive the Nashville Tennessean newspaper. In the last 1.5 yrs. I have only seen 3 Airstream motorhomes for sale and 2 of them ran last month and are no longer listed. I have only seen 2 of the TT for sale in that newspaper. In addition, have only seen 6-7 Airstream TTs between Tullahoma (home) and Nashville in the same time period. Two of these were following each other and I could see them a mile ahead before I got off my exit on I-24. I have yet to see my first Airstream MH in this area but hope one of these days to see one close enough to take a tour inside. Maybe I catch one of the Airstream rallys sometime in the future.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote