Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1998 30' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Everson , Washington
Night turned into day!

Airstream land yacht motor home owners (or those that wish they were) will see in the picture the change I made to the roof line of our RV. Every camping season for the past three years We have had issues with the spotlight that was on top of our RV when we purchased it. We think the light is a good idea but we also think it should work fast, right and all the time. The manufacture of the spotlight was good about helping figure out the problem each year and even providing replacement parts. Last year when this spot light failed I thought about what a replacement light fixture would look like if I designed it and this year when the spotlight beam would go up but wouldn't go down, I built it.

This design is remote controlled, but with (no moving parts). Button number one on my key chain fob turns on and off a 3500 Lumens, 6000 Kelvin floodlight lighting up everything outside the drivers side door. 6000 Kelvin is the color of the sun at noon time on a cloudless day. So if we happen to arrive at a camp sight at night and as we drive alongside the camp sight I touch button one and a 3500 lumen 6000 Kelvin flood light is like turning on the sun.. It is instant with no swinging the spotlight nonsense flashing the beam all through the campground to get it on the campsite we want to see. Button two does the same as button one except on the passenger side. Button three, (about button three) 5000 Lumens, of 6000 Kelvin light from two "spotlights" one above the other facing forward. My wife and I were on an observation parking lot of a dam the other end of the dam was at least a half mile away these forward facing spotlights lite up a sign post on the far end of the dam (in the day time). Button 4 on the key fob can be programmed to turn on and off all four lights all at the same time that's 12,000 Lumens at once. There is nothing that will deter criminal activity around your RV faster than light like that, with the exception of a law abiding American citizen with a gun.

We are on a three month cross country test of this light fixture along with other things.

Hope this helps

TridentClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474859271.819895.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	272356
Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Part numbers, sources, etc so we can do a monkey copy, please.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:38 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
How bad is the blind spots?
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post

I mounted the light fixtures higher to reduce the shadow effect of the RV, if that is what you mean by "blind spot". The original spot light was never able to light up this much area and no way near 6000K.
Hope this helps
Trident
Old 09-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
I'll bet if you look into them you'll be blind all night!
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Part numbers, sources, etc so we can do a monkey copy, please.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

I should have kept the numbers for all that but I did not . Most of the parts off Amazon.
When we get home I would be willing to supply these units to anyone that doesn't want to take the time to build it themselves.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Airstream land yacht motor home owners (or those that wish they were) will see in the picture the change I made to the roof line of our RV. Every camping season for the past three years We have had issues with the spotlight that was on top of our RV when we purchased it. We think the light is a good idea but we also think it should work fast, right and all the time. The manufacture of the spotlight was good about helping figure out the problem each year and even providing replacement parts. Last year when this spot light failed I thought about what a replacement light fixture would look like if I designed it and this year when the spotlight beam would go up but wouldn't go down, I built it.

This design is remote controlled, but with (no moving parts). Button number one on my key chain fob turns on and off a 3500 Lumens, 6000 Kelvin floodlight lighting up everything outside the drivers side door. 6000 Kelvin is the color of the sun at noon time on a cloudless day. So if we happen to arrive at a camp sight at night and as we drive alongside the camp sight I touch button one and a 3500 lumen 6000 Kelvin flood light is like turning on the sun.. It is instant with no swinging the spotlight nonsense flashing the beam all through the campground to get it on the campsite we want to see. Button two does the same as button one except on the passenger side. Button three, (about button three) 5000 Lumens, of 6000 Kelvin light from two "spotlights" one above the other facing forward. My wife and I were on an observation parking lot of a dam the other end of the dam was at least a half mile away these forward facing spotlights lite up a sign post on the far end of the dam (in the day time). Button 4 on the key fob can be programmed to turn on and off all four lights all at the same time that's 12,000 Lumens at once. There is nothing that will deter criminal activity around your RV faster than light like that, with the exception of a law abiding American citizen with a gun.

We are on a three month cross country test of this light fixture along with other things.

Hope this helps

Update,

We traveled coast to coast with this lighting system and I thought an update on the above post could be helpful.
The receiver that works with the key fob was on 24/7 for over two months without any problem. We only had three people ask about the light fixture and after seeing the light each was amazed by the light output, my response always the same, you should see the effect of that much light at night. Another thing we noticed that animals that move around at night freeze when the sun comes on.
Looks like a winner, we won't leave home without it.

Hope this helps,

Trident

TridentAttachment 272356[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1476811123.323605.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	273728