Old 07-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Reidsville , Georgia
Motorhome trip to Alaska 2021

If there is anyone with an Airstream motorhome that has driven to Alaska in the last 5 years, would you please respond with a list of mechanical issues that were encountered on the trip?

I am about to retire in Oct and planning to drive my AS Landyacht (diesel pusher) from GA to Alaska in the summer of 2021.

Everyone says have new tires and shocks and be prepared for windshield chips. Might look into a front bra of some type to protect the front end and already have something to protect my Jeep in tow.

Would love to hear from someone who has driven an older model Airstream that far in the recent past. A specific worry is my AC condenser and fan which are located under the front end just behind the front axle. Just seems like a bad place for it to be located.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
We drove our 1990 345 from Montana o Anchorage late in the 2018 season. The coach had 107k on what is the original drivetrain as far as I know. Mechanical issues:

1). Had new headers installed the day we left Missoula. Picked the coach up as the shop was closing, and realized that we had a dead miss by the time we got out of town. Replaced plug wires to no avail. Replaced plugs the next day and all was good.
2). When we stopped for the day in Teslin, YT, found that the little round plug in one of the tag axle hub covers was missing, and he grease cup was rattling around loose inside. The town mechanic took the wheel off for me and found that the cup had just fallen off, axle and bearings were good.
3). Trans cooler line developed a leak about halfway into the trip, had to add about a quart of trans fluid daily.
4). Cooked the front rotors along the way, had a nasty shudder when braking when we got to Anchorage.

The biggest problem that I found as far as the drive goes was frost heaves that would sneak up on me and catch me going too fast. Bottomed out the front suspension many times with no apparent damage. The Canadians are pretty good about marking those with signs, the Alaskans not so much. The worst section of the drive for those was the highway from Tok to Anchorage. If you have the time, the road from Tok to Fairbanks and then down to Anchorage is much better, that is how we drove back last summer on the way to the ferry at Haines. The highway is paved all the way, we did not get hit by any gravel. The scenery is spectacular, I kinda want to do it again.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Previous owners drove our rig to alaska for a summer

Frost heaves knocked it out of alignment, and a random mechanical error on the part of an owner before them resulted in a totaled engine so they had the engine swapped out in Homer

Other than that, I believe it went fairly smooth for them